New Kiesel Hipshot Bridge

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

sixstringslaya

Re: New Kiesel Hipshot Bridge

Postby sixstringslaya » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Is this the same Hipshot/Tremolo system that is currently available for the Aries series? I was thinking of getting it on the A7.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:58 pm

What is the "this" you are referring to?

sixstringslaya

Postby sixstringslaya » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:26 pm

The new Kiesel Hipshot bridge with trem. I should have specified. I saw a video of a Vader with a new Trem and I was wondering if anyone knew if thats the same one thats on the Aries 6 and 7 strings? I noticed that the option is available when you order.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:59 pm

sixstringslaya wrote:The new Kiesel Hipshot bridge with trem. I should have specified. I saw a video of a Vader with a new Trem and I was wondering if anyone knew if thats the same one thats on the Aries 6 and 7 strings? I noticed that the option is available when you order.

There is a specific new trem for the vader and holdsworth headless models.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

sixstringslaya

Postby sixstringslaya » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Does anyone know what model the Kiesel hipshot bridge with trem is in the builder for the Aries 6 and 7? I'd like to try and find some more info on it.

Today Jeff posted a pic on Facebook of a Buckeye Aries and he says...Buckeye Aries with the new route for the Hipshot Trem system. It will allow for a pull back of 1 1/2 step. Pretty Rad right?

Is that Tremolo bridge something new like the Vader and Holdsworth Hipshot Trems?

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:13 pm

sixstringslaya wrote:Does anyone know what model the Kiesel hipshot bridge with trem is in the builder for the Aries 6 and 7? I'd like to try and find some more info on it.

Today Jeff posted a pic on Facebook of a Buckeye Aries and he says...Buckeye Aries with the new route for the Hipshot Trem system. It will allow for a pull back of 1 1/2 step. Pretty Rad right?

Is that Tremolo bridge something new like the Vader and Holdsworth Hipshot Trems?

I think it's Jeffs version of the Hipshot contour.
The Vader bridge is different - it has tuners on it.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Have any pics of the new Kiesel/Hipshot tremolo been posted yet? I'm curious as to what it looks like. The upcharge for it on the DC600 as the same as a Floyd AND the locking nut. I'm curious to see how it compares to tremolos like the Wilky/Gotoh VS100.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Imagine the Hipshot Contour. Now put a Floyd arm on it. There you go! :)

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Ahh, ok. Sounds cool. Now hopefully they can deep six the Wilkinson VS50s.

I did have a DC135 with the old 1990s Carvin branded original Wilkinson. I smack myself at least once a year for selling that.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Warg Master
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Warg Master » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:37 am

tbonesullivan wrote:Ahh, ok. Sounds cool. Now hopefully they can deep six the Wilkinson VS50s.

I did have a DC135 with the old 1990s Carvin branded original Wilkinson. I smack myself at least once a year for selling that.

I'm pretty sure Jeff said that was the plan. The contour with the bearing is awesome! I'm not sure what took so long to move away from knife edge-style designs.

And yeah, you should smack yourself for that... more than just once a year...
WooooooD!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Click for larger:
20170316_140125.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 am

I thought the Vanquish 8 wasn't available because they were making this in an 8-string version. It's not in that pic you posted Spud but I really hope they work on that to silence the crowd that wants a Floyd 8...or a definite return within 10 days because Floyd Rose on an 8 is insanely difficult to work with.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 am

tbonesullivan wrote:Have any pics of the new Kiesel/Hipshot tremolo been posted yet? I'm curious as to what it looks like. The upcharge for it on the DC600 as the same as a Floyd AND the locking nut. I'm curious to see how it compares to tremolos like the Wilky/Gotoh VS100.

If the price is the same as the Floyd with locknut, it's honestly a toss-up. Contour is smoother, requires less strong-arming, and easier string swaps. FR is possibly more stable....maybe, but I'm not convinced. I'd swapped in a Contour to one of my DCs a couple years ago, and have not missed a Wilkinson in the least, and grab that guitar before a FR-equipped one, too.

If you don't mind a headless design, I'd say go for the Vader or Holdsworth model with the X trem. Technically a single-locking, for easier string changes, less additional length for sympathetic vibrations, and should be extremely stable.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:Have any pics of the new Kiesel/Hipshot tremolo been posted yet? I'm curious as to what it looks like. The upcharge for it on the DC600 as the same as a Floyd AND the locking nut. I'm curious to see how it compares to tremolos like the Wilky/Gotoh VS100.

If the price is the same as the Floyd with locknut, it's honestly a toss-up. Contour is smoother, requires less strong-arming, and easier string swaps. FR is possibly more stable....maybe, but I'm not convinced. I'd swapped in a Contour to one of my DCs a couple years ago, and have not missed a Wilkinson in the least, and grab that guitar before a FR-equipped one, too.

If you don't mind a headless design, I'd say go for the Vader or Holdsworth model with the X trem. Technically a single-locking, for easier string changes, less additional length for sympathetic vibrations, and should be extremely stable.

I went back to the builder and no, it's not. It's a $100 upcharge; not $150.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

sean.e

Postby sean.e » Wed May 31, 2017 7:21 am

question for anyone that has actually played a kiesel with the contour bridge: with the way they route under the bridge, how much pull-up is possible with the contour? For example, g string at 12th fret -- 1 step (2 frets), 1.5 steps, 2 steps, 2.5 steps?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 am

I've read people on Facebook saying about 1.5+, which is in line with what Jeff has also said in videos.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 am

That's on par with what I can get with the Contour I put in my guitar...and was on par with the Wilkinson it replaced. It's not an extreme pull up, but still useful.

Tony PD

Postby Tony PD » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Does anyone know when (or if) the Hipshot/Kiesel trem will make its way to the Classic models (e.g. Bolt, DC127)? Right now, the builder still shows the Wilkinson trem. I thought the Wilky would have been phased out by now.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:05 pm

I imagine it wouldn't fit on the bolt without a new pickguard... could be wrong on that, though.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 am

Tony PD wrote:Does anyone know when (or if) the Hipshot/Kiesel trem will make its way to the Classic models (e.g. Bolt, DC127)? Right now, the builder still shows the Wilkinson trem. I thought the Wilky would have been phased out by now.

It might be something to call about. I was thinking it would've been fully implemented by now, but they probably have a massive stock of Wilkis to burn through before handing out the candy. However, they seem to be more willing to work on things over the phone, or in person (absolutely great in-person experience for me), and that might net you a Bolt that's been shot in the hip.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars