Thicker neck profile

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

rock-lobster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thicker neck profile

Postby rock-lobster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am

Does anyone have the actual measurements for the thicker neck profile option? Also, is it possible to order on a Vader? I don't see it listed as an option.

Lastly, how thick is the Holdsworth neck? I really wish I could get my hands on some of these necks to try out. I tend to be picky about that.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Thicker neck profile

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

The thicker neck profile ads .03" to the standard neck measurements listed on the website for each model. The holdsworth has this thicker neck.

You can also have them stack (I believe) up to three (but maybe two) of these increments for a total or .09" (or possibly .06") added.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:34 pm

I can. I have a new JB200C and they come with the thinner neck profile. Moving up one takes you to the regular profile and I opted for the thicker neck profile(Holdsworth). It is .03 thicker than the regular profile. I love it. I could even go thicker and be happy as I love the Gibby 1959 C profile which is thicker.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm

I think you already ordered, so maybe late to this ...

I ordered the thick profile on my latest purple CT3. I am just fine with the normal profile, but I had to try this out. I do have a preference for the normal thickness over the thinner. The thicker profile is subtly noticeable. I neither love it nor hate it. I'm very indifferent to it vs the normal profile, ergo wont bother paying the upcharge for it again. But it doesn't get in my way. I love playing that guitar as much as my other CTs. YMMV.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

wickid wrote:
I think you already ordered, so maybe late to this ...

I ordered the thick profile on my latest purple CT3. I am just fine with the normal profile, but I had to try this out. I do have a preference for the normal thickness over the thinner. The thicker profile is subtly noticeable. I neither love it nor hate it. I'm very indifferent to it vs the normal profile, ergo wont bother paying the upcharge for it again. But it doesn't get in my way. I love playing that guitar as much as my other CTs. YMMV.

I feel the same way. I like the regular and thicker neck profiles pretty equally!

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm

my 2cents. My last 4 builds have been the thicker with jumbos. I really like this feel. Previous was standard neck med-jumbos, which are good, but I prefer more meatyness now, into 42 years of playing. Then again I'm not a thumb over the top of the neck guy, which in that case ,thick might not be your thing.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

Rialas
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rialas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:58 am

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

dejabluguitar wrote:my 2cents. My last 4 builds have been the thicker with jumbos. I really like this feel. Previous was standard neck med-jumbos, which are good, but I prefer more meatyness now, into 42 years of playing. Then again I'm not a thumb over the top of the neck guy, which in that case ,thick might not be your thing.

I agree. Thicker neck and stainless steel jumbos for now on for me. Feels and plays so so nice!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm a thumb over the neck guy, except when chording long chords, and I still prefer 1959 LP style Fred Flintstone clubs.

A nice wide, thick old school LP is my kinda neck. But I still like having a variety of different necks in my arsenal... yet, with my bout of epicondylitis I'm thinking that it may be the switching off to the proper thumb on back of neck fretting for a six day stretch of recording in those stretched positions may be causing it, since I would rarely use that grip for long stretches.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby rYche » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:24 am

Jeff last night on the facebook live stream said for sure the thicker neck profile didn't come with a 10 day trial period.

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hopkinwfg » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:43 am

I like the standard kiesel Vader 6 profile neck.. its not too thin and still chunky... however i find the vader body can be a notch thicker will be better... ?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 am

hopkinwfg wrote: however i find the vader body can be a notch thicker will be better... ?

While these definitely can't be gospel as we're seen discrepancies, the specs on the website list the vader as .01" thicker than an SCB, and only .02 thinner than a DC600. That .02" is thinner than the .03" difference between the standard and thick necks. :think:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars