Beryllium Pickup chat

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Beryllium Pickup chat

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Interested enough to want to hear more! This could push me back into CS 6 country.

Good. This makes me happy.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

In a livestream, Jeff confirmed the Beryllium is A2.

*Paging Doctor Turn*

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Cynical wrote:In a livestream, Jeff confirmed the Beryllium is A2.

*Paging Doctor Turn*

Good to know. A2 and A3 are typical of early PAFs. Warmer with smoother high end.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Hmm... Maybe I'll just buy an actual fender Tele and go with a straight up Beryl loaded CS 6. Return policy would be in effect too. Still want to vibe out some more tone samples but I like what I've heard so far.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm

I want to stop chatting about them and start playing with them. Three weeks gone. I wounder how long they will take. Anticipation is for ketchup not pickups. Speaking of which, Thoriums anybody?

I got to thinking about how the VM7 is so different tonally due to the scale length that I will not be able to evaluate them as well. So I ordered a six string set to test them out. I am also afraid that I have been playing the lithium on that guitar for so long I may not like them. Or I may not like the trade off that I know I will encounter. The lithiums do some things quite well. But I really enjoy trying new pickups so I shall patiently wait.

ThaTroll

Postby ThaTroll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 am

Looks like the beryllium pickups were added to the builder. I spec'd out my new lefty Osiris before ordering yesterday and the new pickups were available as an option with no upcharge. When I then placed the order by phone they similarly let me order berylliums with no upcharge.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 am

Looks like they're the default setting on the CS, which is probably smart. Only upcharges are for polepiece color change and covers.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am

Based on the demo, they certainly sound better than the lithiums. But I think the C22's still sound better.

To add some constructive criticism, it would be nice to know the amp/settings being used in the demo. Also put it in a mix to really get the full sound. Maybe in the future do a better demo with different amps, settings, add a backing track...I dunno, something more to show off the possibilities of tone.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am

Your first sentence, but with c22's replaced by M22's. The C's often lack girth and add a little more high/mids versus a PAF ish bucker. They always just sort of struck me as a thing into themselves.

Very smart indeed to stick these in as standard issue in a CS line model. Putting the lithiums in there seemed a little incongruous at best.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:03 am

They are also standard on all the semi-hollows, which makes even more sense.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm

You know, I've always wanted to try the M22's. I read a lot of good things about them.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 pm

ilyti wrote:They are also standard on all the semi-hollows, which makes even more sense.

That makes even MORE sense than making them stock on the single cuts.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Brock wrote:Also put it in a mix to really get the full sound.

No. Demos featuring fully mixed band settings are completely useless. Even more useless than demos using amp simulation software instead of a real amp, cab and microphone.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:That makes even MORE sense than making them stock on the single cuts.

Yes, that's what I said. No sarcasm. :)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

ilyti wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:That makes even MORE sense than making them stock on the single cuts.

Yes, that's what I said. No sarcasm. :)

Yeah, I know.. I think I initially registered the first part of your original sentence, but not the part about it making more sense.

You're absolutely right! 8)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

They are the standard pickups now for the semi-hollow carved tops, as well as the AE-185. Also, the bridge pickup in the FG1.

One cool thing: Any model that has Lithiums standard: no charge to switch to Berylliums. Any model standard with the Berylliums: no charge to switch to Lithiums.

They are still working on the 7-string Berylliums.

They are not sure on the 8-string versions, though...and it's because the magnets they use in this model aren't made in 8-string widths. It would need to be a custom magnet, which is not necessarily as easy/cheap as it might seem.

...and Thoriums are still coming...no timeline. ;)

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm

amon wrote:
Brock wrote:Also put it in a mix to really get the full sound.

No. Demos featuring fully mixed band settings are completely useless. Even more useless than demos using amp simulation software instead of a real amp, cab and microphone.

Disagreed. There's some pups out there that sound great on their own that fail miserably in a band mix (Duncan Custom V comes to mind), and some that sound a bit weak on their own but sit really nicely in the mix (JB is the classic example).

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:48 pm

From a Facebook post and I *think* an email. No update to the blog, though:

New Beryllium Pickups
KIESEL GUITARS Carvin GUITARS·WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018
The Kiesel Guitars USA Custom Shop is excited to announce our newest pickups, the Beryllium Series. Available in bridge & neck humbucker, as well as a single-coil version, these pickups are now standard equipment in all SH Series semi-hollow guitars, all CT and CS Series California Carved Top guitars, the AE185 and AE185-12 acoustic/electric guitars, and in the bridge position of the Frank Gambale Signature FG1 (alongside the FG1N neck pickup). They are available as a no-charge option on many other Kiesel models.

Passive Beryllium Series pickups were personally designed by Mark Kiesel, and use quality Alnico II magnets and vintage style windings to produce classic guitar tones, well-suited to any playing style. Physically, they look the same as Kiesel's acclaimed Lithium Series pickups. Click on the video below to hear the amazing tone these new pickups produce.

Additionally, the Custom Shop has added some new pickup options. First up, you can now order different colored pickup poles, to match your hardware. Standard pickup poles are silver, and you can order black or gold poles on any Kiesel Lithium or Beryllium Series pickup, including replacement pickups.

We've also added metal pickup covers, also available with Lithium or Beryllium pickups, on standard scale 6 and 7 string guitars. These covers have the classic "exposed pole" look, for that vintage vibe, as well as for preserving the adjust ability of the individual pole-pieces. Metal covers are also available on replacement pickups.

Swing by Kiesel Guitars today, and spec out your new Custom Shop guitar with these great-sounding Beryllium Series pickups and other new pickup options. Also, be sure to check out our Kiesel Guitars Facebook and Kiesel Guitars Instagram to see some amazing examples of the just-launched Zeus and Osiris Series models, and keep up with everything that's going on at the Kiesel Guitars USA Custom Shop!

shotaroriani2

Postby shotaroriani2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 pm

spudmunkey wrote:They are the standard pickups now for the semi-hollow carved tops, as well as the AE-185. Also, the bridge pickup in the FG1.

One cool thing: Any model that has Lithiums standard: no charge to switch to Berylliums. Any model standard with the Berylliums: no charge to switch to Lithiums.

They are still working on the 7-string Berylliums.

They are not sure on the 8-string versions, though...and it's because the magnets they use in this model aren't made in 8-string widths. It would need to be a custom magnet, which is not necessarily as easy/cheap as it might seem.

...and Thoriums are still coming...no timeline. ;)

I really hope they'll release one. If not, I don't see a kiesel guitar in my near future.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:28 am

Cynical wrote:There's some pups out there that sound great on their own that fail miserably in a band mix (Duncan Custom V comes to mind)

Yes, because the Custom V always sounds the same no matter what guitar it's in or what amp you use. :roll:

Cynical wrote:and some that sound a bit weak on their own but sit really nicely in the mix (JB is the classic example).

You need to get your hearing checked.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars