Has anyone ordered a Zeus Acoustic (Zeucoustic) ?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Rocky

Has anyone ordered a Zeus Acoustic (Zeucoustic) ?

Postby Rocky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:34 pm

I am in the market for a new acoustic and was wandering if anyone had ordered a Zeus Acoustic, 6, 7 or 8 string.

I am kind of divided on the guitar. Does it have enough acoustic vibe ? I know it is not a full acoustic but am looking for a better playing instrument. Tired of fighting the string action of my acoustics.

I have been looking at Taylor and the AC375 as options but thought that the Zeus Acoustic might be another option.

Help !!! :-)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Has anyone ordered a Zeus Acoustic (Zeucoustic) ?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:51 pm

I've got a Taylor and an AC375, but not a Zeus.

What i will say, though, is that if your acoustic is otherwise OK, a professional setup can do wonders. I wasn't a believer until I had it done on my old Cort acoustic. The only reason I replaced the guitar was because the bridge was coming off the body, and the neck joint was failing, and the guitar wasn't worth putting any money into...but after that setup, it played fantastically...beyond just what new and lighter strings could do.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks Spud. I have had many improvements from setup work but still long for a better playing instrument. It's great in the first 5 frets but deteriorates exponentially as you go up the fretboard. I know that some of this is normal and I know that my skill level is only average, but still long for something better.

I go back to my VM8 and it plays flawlessly. I wonder why I am even attempting to play acoustic, but I know there is a song somewhere in that clunky fret buzzing wooden box. It inspires me and I don't even know why. There you have it. It plays like crap but inspires me. May be I need a music therapist. :-)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:36 pm

I get it, definitely. Honestly, the Zeus may not be what you need, though. Hear me out:

When I pick up my acoustics, I instantly have the urge to play completely different songs/music than when I pick up my electrics. What I found really interesting was that when I picked up a used AC175 in a store, I realized that I immediately wanted to play it like an electric. The narrow nut, the 24 frets, all made it inspire me to play it like an electric. The AC375 is different in that it's got a more "acoustic" wider nut and 22 frets, so while the body is slimmer than the full-bodied acoustic, it still plays like an acoustic, and I play it like an acoustic.

And to be clear: this is my own personal opinion, which as I mentioned isn't worth much because it comes from someone who hasn't played one, but I'm not sure that a Zeus acoustic would really be any different than a headless version of my Aries with a piezo. :think:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 am

JR Taylor’s AC275/375 comparison video is a good place to start if you haven’t watched it yet.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HTs3aEeiT5w
I have not played Zeucoustic but it looks super comfortable and uses the AC275 electronics package
it will likely sound similar. The AC275 is basically identical to a neck through electric Kiesel but it has acoustic strings and saddle.
You will need to plug it into a PA or acoustic amp for it to sound like it is intended.
Note that the Zeus is a bolt on neck and electric style bridge. The electric style bridge is adjustable for intonation.
I wish there was more Zeucoustic audio/video clips and a actual web page.
Also It’s not cheap, you can buy a pretty nice acoustic guitar for the entry level price.
But I still want one just for the bevel.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I'll check out the JR Taylor video. I have listened to some 275 sound clips a while back and it sounded pretty good. The Taylor I was looking at was around $1800 bucks (300 series). I guess if the Zeucoustic sounded good enough you could opt for an 8 string multi-scale version for extra fun. Have to ponder it some more.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Most of this depends depends on your current needs and wants.
A conventional acoustic guitar can be mic’ed for recording purposes with different mics etc.
Yet thinline models are so sleek and comfortable and less prone to feedback etc.
If you are considering a 7 or 8 string in multiscale this model might be a lot of fun and inspire you in that direction.
I haven’t checked but I doubt there are many other options available on that end.
I do play my AC275 and AC375 guitars all the time and enjoy them both.
dbones Lefties

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:14 pm

I'd order an Azeustic if I were in the market for an acoustic, or electrified acoustic. I have both those needs covered by a cheap Yamaha A1M and a DC127T with the Fishman saddles on the Wilkinson. No real need to grab something else. The DC covers so many bases for me, it's made inroads to becoming my all-round piece.

Still, I think the Azeustic looks great, and was excited to see that design come out.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:28 am

I have an AC375 and a CL450. Out of my dozen or so guitars, both elec and acous, they are two of my most valued. Shame they discontinued the CL450, I STILL don't get that. What a fine, unique instrument.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 am

Out of curiosity, do the kiesel acoustics sound similar to typical piezo setups? E.G. my SH6 sounds great, but for chilling around the house playing I'd like something with a bit more projection, but I'd like it to sound different than my SH6 when plugged in, like my Martin does.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 am

Treadplatedual wrote:Out of curiosity, do the kiesel acoustics sound similar to typical piezo setups? E.G. my SH6 sounds great, but for chilling around the house playing I'd like something with a bit more projection, but I'd like it to sound different than my SH6 when plugged in, like my Martin does.

I'm not sure any have been delivered yet, but the piezo preamp system they are using is different than what is used with the electrics, if I understand correctly. I believe they said it's what they have in the AC275 (and what was in the AC175 and AC275), which is different from what they use in the AC375.

Not that that really helps unless you have one of those... :)

:think:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

This thread needs some pics

dbones Lefties

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 am

Here is another Zeus Acoustic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars