New Model: Theos

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New Model: Theos

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:19 pm

fiberguitar wrote:Would this now be the model most similar to the Ibanez AZ series?

No, probably not. These will be good. :twisted:

I kid, I kid.

It does look like it. Kiesel nuts are wider (1.68 vs 1.65) and the AZ fretboard radius is 12" (compared to Kiesel's standard 14")...but looks wise, it looks like it to me.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 pm

also I was just looking at the in-stock and none of you dare buy that cream reverse-headstock delos, I call dibs and I'm hella broke so it's the only one I can afford

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
fiberguitar wrote:Would this now be the model most similar to the Ibanez AZ series?

Either this, the Delos (if you want a pickguard), or a bevel-delete Aries (if you want a little pointier). The Theos is only offered with a chambered body though, the AZs are all fully solid. The Delos I'm pretty sure is only solid, and the Aries can be had either way.
The closest you could get is probably a Delos with the 510 trem, HH 24-fret or HSS 22-fret (though with the 510, the 22-fret Delos has no pull-up on the trem). Roasted maple neck and fretboard, and I guess you'd probably want the Beryllium pickups for either HH or HSS.

Good points about the solid body. I have a feeling I'm going to forget the Theos is chambered, often.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:42 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:also I was just looking at the in-stock and none of you dare buy that cream reverse-headstock delos, I call dibs and I'm hella broke so it's the only one I can afford

I like it a lot. If it had the Hipshot trem I'd be tempted.
But nah... you go for it! :)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Click for (slightly) larger:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm

It looks so squat and pudgy, like it needs to cut out sugary soda and potato chips to lose 15 pounds.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm

$1499 starting price, with the opaque paint top, BBE, and the body painted like the top. $1599 is with the flamed top, BBE and RNC.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Available only today: One piece 5A flamed top free upgrade on the Theos.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:15 pm

An interesting difference to the Delos: the Gotoh is not dive only on the 22 fret on the Theos, like it is on the Delos. It's floating, like it is on the 24-fret Delos.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 am

spudmunkey wrote:$1499 starting price, with the opaque paint top, BBE, and the body painted like the top. $1599 is with the flamed top, BBE and RNC.

Okay so what you're telling me is I can get my ideal AZ but US-made for a couple hundred bucks more than a Premium?
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:58 am

Additional cost for a trem. But seemingly, yeah. The AZ do have some unique switching, but otherwise: roasted maple neck, flames maple cap, stainless frets, some sort of glowing side dot...a lot of similar spec.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 am

DannyB819 wrote:It looks so squat and pudgy, like it needs to cut out sugary soda and potato chips to lose 15 pounds.

I love it. Especially the Multi-scale. And I don't even play guitars.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:36 am

Yeah, the custom pickup switching still leans me towards the AZ. I am fairly anti-Ibanez but the AZ has been tempting me. It whispers into my ear "you already own 2 kiesels, why not try me out?"
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

harsh59
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby harsh59 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 am

Where are you guys getting your pricing and info , I don't see it in the guitar builder .

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:31 am

harsh59 wrote:Where are you guys getting your pricing and info , I don't see it in the guitar builder .

it's not online yet, and may not be for a while. Info has just come from the live FB videos. There have been 2 videos about this model so far: the original reveal, and then a follow up Q&A that starts with a re-summary of the specs and pricing.

This one's the most informative:
https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/ ... 925868662/

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 am

I hear you guys on the AZ wiring but as someone who's played every non-signature one in the range, it's just kind of. . . okay. The switching options are kinda underwhelming to me (not super distinctive-sounding, too many switches and positions I'm not gonna use - the Hyperions are incredible pickups though, they sound really good) and don't justify the downsides of either the Premiums (very poor QC) or the Prestiges (really bloody expensive little buggers). I'm actually pretty okay with not having that in exchange for good build quality and reasonable pricing, as well as the cosmetics I want.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 am

I haven't had my hands on many, but (at least on SSO.org), there's a fair number of people who have said that their indonesia factory(s) have been getting noticeably better as time goes on. but that's just my interpretation, or what I think some yokels on the interwebs have said.

Still, though...$1200-1300 for an indonesian bolt-on is hard to swallow.

I haven't look in to the what all of the switching combinations are, but the 5-way is already 5 including coil splitting, and throw in a "bridge add" switch, and you've got a bunch more. Throw in a phase switch, if you're nasty, and you've probably got MORE combinations than the AZ.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am

spudmunkey wrote:I haven't had my hands on many, but (at least on SSO.org), there's a fair number of people who have said that their indonesia factory(s) have been getting noticeably better as time goes on. but that's just my interpretation, or what I think some yokels on the interwebs have said.

Still, though...$1200-1300 for an indonesian bolt-on is hard to swallow.

I haven't look in to the what all of the switching combinations are, but the 5-way is already 5 including coil splitting, and throw in a "bridge add" switch, and you've got a bunch more. Throw in a phase switch, if you're nasty, and you've probably got MORE combinations than the AZ.

I'd do my Theos HSH (which you can't get on an AZ, for the record) with Berylliums, with the Tosin Abasi DiMarzio wiring sans extra switches - that's bridge in series, bridge split and middle, neck and bridge split, then neck split and middle, and neck hum in series.

harsh59
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby harsh59 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

spudmunkey wrote:
harsh59 wrote:Where are you guys getting your pricing and info , I don't see it in the guitar builder .

it's not online yet, and may not be for a while. Info has just come from the live FB videos. There have been 2 videos about this model so far: the original reveal, and then a follow up Q&A that starts with a re-summary of the specs and pricing.

This one's the most informative:
https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/ ... 925868662/

Thanks Spud

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars