Neck-Thru Aries

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Mynte

Re: Neck-Thru Aries

Postby Mynte » Fri May 22, 2020 9:01 am

Quivering Wrist wrote:Here is the problem that I see.

Original Aries you get free tung oil on back of neck.

Now you have to not only pay upcharge for neckthru you also have to pay $60 for the tung oil.

I don't see the point in this model now

bolt neck vs. neck through. there's a difference in how they play and tung oil is default bolt necks.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 am

Had this option been available when I was ordering my Aries, there would have been no contest.
I wanted the snappy attack you get from a maple neck bolted to an alder body. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 am

ElfDude wrote:Had this option been available when I was ordering my Aries, there would have been no contest.

Same here. Although...it does leave open a slot for a neck-through something in addition to my bolt-on at some point. Ha!

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Do you guys know when this is gonna show up in the builder and/or where it's gonna be? Like, is it actually an option on the Aries, a new model entirely, or an option for the DC?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm

I imagine they will have it a separate model, but no word on when it'll be up. Probably pretty soon, since they already built a few to photograph, but you can just take the DC price, add the tung oil neck price, if you get that, and then all of the other Aries options are the same price (except Evertune, which doesnt fit).

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Now you have to not only pay upcharge for neckthru you also have to pay $60 for the tung oil.

That's not a "problem" for everyone, though. It saves me money, and also for anyone who likes a painted neck. I had to pay an upcharge to get a satin finished neck on my Aries, that was larger than the price difference between the bolt-on and neck-through Aries.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Fri May 22, 2020 1:45 pm

spudmunkey wrote:

That's not a "problem" for everyone, though. It saves me money, and also for anyone who likes a painted neck. I had to pay an upcharge to get a satin finished neck on my Aries, that was larger than the price difference between the bolt-on and neck-through Aries.

Although I'm pretty sure you're the sole person on this whole planet who'd go with satin over tung oil for a bolt-on :)
I mean, why :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 22, 2020 2:03 pm

mbardu wrote:Although I'm pretty sure you're the sole person on this whole planet who'd go with satin over tung oil for a bolt-on :)

:lol:

134346b-1.jpg

71865b.jpg

109228b.jpg

130695b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Fri May 22, 2020 2:15 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
mbardu wrote:Although I'm pretty sure you're the sole person on this whole planet who'd go with satin over tung oil for a bolt-on :)

Pictures_of_Guitars

My point exactly, who'd want any of those :lol:

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri May 22, 2020 2:16 pm

I think one of these in satin KRO, KRG, or GB would be killer, but I remember seeing a Vader with a walnut neck and ash body over on SS.org that looked killer - that with all tung-oil would be a pretty great combo and you don't have to pay extra for the tung-oil neck. Might go with that, 'cause every time I see this I feel like I'd rather have a neck-through Aries than a SSS/HSS Delos.

Neck-through Aries with
- I want a trem, but I also don't like the maintenance - unsure what to do here
- Walnut neck, ash body
- tung-oil finish
- THNN
- Reverse headstock (either pointy or GT, still not sure)
- Birdseye maple board
- No inlays
- Medium jumbo frets
- Compound radius
- maybe the last-few-frets scalloping depending on pricing
- Lithiums with hardware-matching covers (maybe Berylliums, still waffling on this and would be totally okay with swapping anything out for some Dimarzios or Bare Knuckles if it doesn't quite work out for me)
- Black or chrome hardware?
- no TRC
Maybe some special options
- would they do a walnut cavity cover?
- the CL control layout if they'd do that - it's such a killer, easy way to get to all the controls quickly (would take a lengthwise lever switch instead of the 3-way though if they'd do that)

Annotation 2020-05-22 170222.jpg

Easily the most expensive axe I'd have, probably around $2k (though my ESP could probably fetch me more than that selling to a collector), but I think it would be worth it for how to-my-specs it would be. The builder that's up right now doesn't have compound radius, scalloping, and obviously none of the special custom stuff, but honestly not looking too bad price-wise for what you're getting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

If you get the Hipshot trem, those are supposedly extremely low maintenance and expected to last a long time due to their construction without knife edges. Mine has been holding up very well so far.

One a quick note re: the wood cavity cover.
Even if Kiesel doesn't do it (I have not seen Walnut in the past), there's a member here ("bob-a-bouy" I believe) who would probably be able to do if for you.

If I recall correctly I got a bunch of aftermarket ones from him in the past:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm

There's two that are active in the facebook group.

Bob's Custom Plates
https://www.bobscustomplates.com/
https://www.facebook.com/BobsCustomPlates/

Forbidden Engravings
https://www.facebook.com/forbiddenengravings/

madvillebirdman

Postby madvillebirdman » Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm

VERY NICE! I am planning build #15, this would be perfect.

theleftylair
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby theleftylair » Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:Neck-through Aries with
- I want a trem, but I also don't like the maintenance - unsure what to do here
- Walnut neck, ash body
- tung-oil finish
- THNN
- Reverse headstock (either pointy or GT, still not sure)
- Birdseye maple board
- No inlays
- Medium jumbo frets
- Compound radius
- maybe the last-few-frets scalloping depending on pricing
- Lithiums with hardware-matching covers (maybe Berylliums, still waffling on this and would be totally okay with swapping anything out for some Dimarzios or Bare Knuckles if it doesn't quite work out for me)
- Black or chrome hardware?
- no TRC
Maybe some special options
- would they do a walnut cavity cover?
- the CL control layout if they'd do that - it's such a killer, easy way to get to all the controls quickly (would take a lengthwise lever switch instead of the 3-way though if they'd do that)

Annotation 2020-05-22 170222.jpg

Easily the most expensive axe I'd have, probably around $2k (though my ESP could probably fetch me more than that selling to a collector), but I think it would be worth it for how to-my-specs it would be. The builder that's up right now doesn't have compound radius, scalloping, and obviously none of the special custom stuff, but honestly not looking too bad price-wise for what you're getting.

You'd be looking at $100 for custom controls (this appears to be a flat fee from what I've seen on my invoices). It is $100 for a solid walnut neck, just asked MIke that two days ago. It is $200 to scallop the last couple frets ($500 the entire board). I know they made me a rosewood cavity cover in the past that, I think, was $50. They don't do wood trem covers though, unless that has changed.
Current Builds (of course lefties): Double-Neck Osiris, HD-FG2, CAM6, and DCM6 ///Past Kiesels: CS624, HH2 (Fretless), and CC275
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theleftylair/

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri May 22, 2020 11:41 pm

theleftylair wrote:You'd be looking at $100 for custom controls (this appears to be a flat fee from what I've seen on my invoices). It is $100 for a solid walnut neck, just asked MIke that two days ago. It is $200 to scallop the last couple frets ($500 the entire board). I know they made me a rosewood cavity cover in the past that, I think, was $50. They don't do wood trem covers though, unless that has changed.

Yeah I was doing some digging, and I managed this setup:
Annotation 2020-05-23 022810.jpg

which I think is a pretty solid base (though maybe saving $80 on that 3-piece neck would be nice for extra stuff). Add $100 for the controls, $80 for the compound radius, and like $50 for the cavity cover (no trem no problems, I think hardtail's probably the way to go for me), and I'm still under $2000 - not cheap, but very reasonable IMO.

*complete aside begins here*
I was up at Matt's Music in MA a few years back when I played my first Suhr - a Modern Satin that blew me away ('cause high school kid who'd never played a proper high-end guitar in his life). I also tried out a Modern Set-Neck they had that I thought was really nice, but every time I go play around in their configurator, I end up with $5k+ guitars that aren't really what I want (both aesthetically and feature-wise). Like, have you guys seen the neck joint on those? The freakin' bolt-ons have better access than the set-necks - even Gibson has axes that are putting them to shame there. So this neck-through Aries lets me get 100% of the vibe I've always wanted from those Modern Set-Necks at easily a third of the cost, with (IMO anyway) a way better feature set and much less finicky playability ('Modern' is a misnomer on those Suhrs - they still feel like Grandad's 60s Strat neck-wise, have none of the nice modern creature-comforts I can get with a Kiesel, and that THNN is unbeatable for my hands).
*complete aside ends here*

Okay so basically the 2020 Year of the Delos dream dies here because I 100% want one of these way more.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat May 23, 2020 11:13 am

Weird; thought I'd posted earlier, but it's not there. Who knows! I'll repost.

The Aries bevel is a good idea for comfort. I'm glad it's being put on a neck-thru. As for performance, I used to think neck-thru was superior, and the sculpted neck heel certainly is. While the bolt-on is not the Ibanez AANJ, it's still pretty good, so no complaints.

As for performance, I honestly can't cite a difference between neck-thru and bolt-on. I used to think neck-thru was superior, but I feel either one is fine, provided it's built correctly. With that said, working on a bolt-on neck is far easier than neck-thru, and I hope to never have to replace a truss rod in a neck-thru Carvin/Kiesel again. It's much easier when the neck is off the body, and can be clamped more easily to keep things straight.

While I don't feel it's an entirely new model, I like the option.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars