Path of least resistance?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Path of least resistance?

Postby helldorado » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:54 am

I thought I'd spur a little conversation and get your insights here. I'm getting pretty close to giving up on getting comfortable with a 7 string neck. I have 2, a DC7X and an AM7. Great guitars, just always struggle to adjust my hand with the wider neck because I tend to wrap my thumb a bit, which you really can't do on a 7 and as I get older, that classical hand positioning gets less comfortable to do long term.

IMG_20200722_134252.jpg

So if I sell my two 7-strings, I want to get at least one, 27" scale 6 string. I absolutely adore everything about the build on my AM7, so in a perfect world, I'd get a 27" 6 string Aries built the same way. I don't want the 25.5-26.5" multiscale, and I already have the 26.5" scale in my DC600. I find that 26.5" scale is on the short end of acceptable for B standard tuning, or definitely too short if I want to go to A. I need 27" scale.

Here's the rub, the only 2 guitars Kiesel currently offers with a 6 string, 27" scale option are the Vader and K-Series. Headless is an automatic no, and K-Series is $$$. When I asked Chris about 27"+ options for other guitars, he said a 27" wouldn't be impossible because they already do it for other models. As a baseline, doing a 26.5" scale Aries bolt-on, spec'd out just like my AM7 would right around $2000. So I figure these are my options.

• Pay the programming fee to get a 27" Aries. Now the question is if they would do it for the bolt-on Aries, or only the neck-thru? Right now, their existing 27" scale neck programs are all on neck-thru models, so that may be a factor. If it has to be neck-thru, I can't get it spec'd out the way my AM7 is (no roasted maple neck, no solid ash body, etc..) and that's a bit of a bummer. I'm honestly not sure how I would spec a neck-thru Aries. One thing I really don't like is when the end of the neck is exposed just past the beveled edge of a top wood. It's just weird. And I don't necessarily want the old school exposed neck blank all through the body.

• I could see if it were less expensive, or presented less aesthetic challenges, to get the 27" neck programmed for the DC600, but I'm not sure the DC600 would really be a better option. I am digging the bevel on the Aries. I could just do a full solid color neck-thru Aries with a satin or tung oil neck to avoid the other issues. It's just my preference is a solid swamp ash body, raw tone clear coat, and roasted maple neck with ebony board. That combo is so nice.
  • Depending on the programming fee charge, just suck it up and go for a K-Series. At that point, all but a few options would be included in the cost and no headache getting the 27" scale. What I really don't know is how a K-Series feels between the DC600 w/ bevels and an Aries.
  • Or my least expensive option would probably be go elsewhere and maybe get a Dunable or other. But I really do enjoy everything about my AM7 Aries and would love it in a 27" 6 string.

I'm not sure what the programming fee would be, I've heard anywhere from $500 to $1000 tossed around for other things in the past. So I'm kind of curious what some of you guys would do?

The cheapest option by far would be get the 26.5" scale bolt-on Aries, or not buy a Kiesel, but I'd like to avoid doing either. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Path of least resistance?

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:39 pm

I uave limited DC and K series experiences, but in my few minutes with them as NAMM, the K series was the most comfortable body, in regards to the forearm area. Yes, it's a more traditional design, but it's wider, deeper, and the edge of the top also has a bevel to "break" the hard edge if the top. My Aries was comfortable in more positions, but where the K hit, it hit big.

To me, the optional body edge bevel in the DC added nothing to comfort. However, it does also add the Aries-like upper fret access scoop, which did help with access...but the DC is no slouch anyway even without it, and I dont spend much time up there anyway...but with all of that said, the K is even better, because the cutaway itself on the K is deeper.

Again: THAT WAS JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE, BASED ONLY ON A SHORT TIME EXPERIENCE AT A TRADE SHOW, and I only have long-term experience with an Aries.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Yeah, considering I have a DC600 + bevels, rounded DC127 and an Aries (I still have my hot pink crackle A6x), the K-Series would fill out the dance card. :think:

Don't worry Spud, I wouldn't hold it to you personally if I went K-Series and didn't like the feel compared to the Aries. :lol: In honesty, they're both very comfortable, so I'm assuming the K-Series would be too. The Aries just does a great job of eliminating any pressure on your forearm.

I guess I'll have to make a final decision to sell my 7's first, then see what they will say yes to and what the cost would be.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:02 am

How much you want for the pooch?

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:57 pm

Sunset wrote:How much you want for the pooch?

She's my special baby girl who I love more than anything, I'd sell all my guitars and my wife first. :lol:

Now my two dumbass boys that are brothers from the same litter... that depends on the day and how much crap they've gotten into. :roll:

IMG_20200730_163847.jpg

They only look sweet when they're asleep, lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:35 am

D’aaaaaw...

It was worth a shot. Anyway, g’luck with baritone crusade.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Well I've decided that I'm going to sell both of my 7 strings. I just CANNOT get into that extra neck width of the 7 string. I'm a 6 string baritone guy, through and through.

So now the plan is:

• Sell both 7's before the holidays.
  • Get my wife through her final semester of nursing school. She wraps up her BSN in like 6 weeks.
  • Celebrate wife signing an offer to become a full time nurse, which will actually come sooner.
  • Order 27" scale K6, or beg, plead and cry until I get the OK on a 27" Aries, 27? V220 and/or 27.7" CT/CS. I figure the time between now and then will let me figure out what I really want to do. K6 is definitely the easiest one to get.

What I *really* want to do in the long run, is get a twin set of 27"+ scale CT's, or CT/CS pair as a dedication to the two children we lost several years back. It's why she decided to become a nurse and it's gotten me refocused on my music when I thought about giving it up completely. Be nice to get something special in their honor.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Was following along like all happy puppy until that last paragraph. Whatever you decide I just hope the very best for you(royal).

It’s a good thing you feel refocused imo, plz don’t make the same mistake I made by letting music go in order to deal with hardship. I don’t have many regrets, but dropping an intrinsic force of good when I needed it most....

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Sunset wrote:Was following along like all happy puppy until that last paragraph. Whatever you decide I just hope the very best for you(royal).

It’s a good thing you feel refocused imo, plz don’t make the same mistake I made by letting music go in order to deal with hardship. I don’t have many regrets, but dropping an intrinsic force of good when I needed it most....

Thank you, truly. I'm lucky in that my wife is both supportive of my habit, and creative outlets work well for me. I know stress and depression can shut that down in a lot of people, but it tends to give me focus. I had walked away from playing for a bit in my 20's and 30's because I was focused on career and doing what I could to start a family, but it feels really good to be back at and giving that energy a place to focus. :)

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 pm

darn straight...

*edit*
The site edited my naughty verbiage....I think I like that lol!!!

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Well the AM7 sold fast, now just to move the DC7X and see if anything comes about from Kiesel in the next couple months that manages to change my direction. :-)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars