Neck and string height in relation to body

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

Palbroman

Neck and string height in relation to body

Postby Palbroman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm

On Kiesels, both neck-through and bolt-ons, how high does the neck (top of the fretboard) sit in relation to the body in the neck pocket area? Meassuring on the low E side.
I need the strings low to the body for comfort, and from most pictures I've seen there seems to be quite the elevation, and the saddles on the hipshot hardtails look to be angled quite severly upwards.
I know Kiesel recess the tunomatic to avoid having to angle the neck pocket, which would simplify production, so I assume there might be a middle of the road height across the range of models. I just fear it might be to high.

On my guitars, moslty floyd equipped ones, the top of the fretboard is 5-6mm above the body, which in turn leaves the strings at 9-10mm above the body between the pickups, with medium to low action. On my tunomatic the height between the pickups is 16mm, to high for comfort.

Hopefully someone could do a quick meassurement for me.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Neck and string height in relation to body

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:59 pm

The bolt-ons' fretboards ride higher off the surface plane of the body.

The red one is a bolt-on Aries, and the other is a set neck SH6. You can see how there's more maple neck wood visible on the bolt-on. Kinda like if you made a boat lighter, and it floats higher above the water line.

If you prefer your strings to be closer to the body, I'd say neck-througj would be your best bet, based on what I've observed.
20201120_175808.jpg
20201120_180934.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Palbroman

Postby Palbroman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:24 am

Yeah from what I've seen the bolt-ons seem just a tad higher.
Are those by any chance your guitars, as in could you measure the "ride height"? This one measurement would easy my mind.
Whatever unit of measurement is fine. I convert like a mf.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 am

What kind of guitars do you currently own?
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Palbroman

Postby Palbroman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:09 am

I own basically floyd equipped double cuts. Mostly ESP/LTD but also a Dean ML and som other stuff.
The only non-trem is an LTD MH-1000, with tunomatic which I dislike, so I'm thinking of upgrading my hardtail needs to a neck-through Aries or a DC600. Maybe even a Delos. Whatever guitar i go for it will be with the Hipshot hardtail. Hence all my jibber jabber about the fretboard height. I like it low.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars