Wood and year for Carvin DC127

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

Equilibrium8

Wood and year for Carvin DC127

Postby Equilibrium8 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi, I got this DC127 a while ago and loving it. I think it is a 1996 model with an alder body. Can anyone confirm that? It should be alder at least according to that year's specs but it doesn't look like alder to me.

What is the best way to clean this kind of finish?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Wood and year for Carvin DC127

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

1996 would have a wide, 3 screw truss rod cover. By the look of yours, it's the narrow single screw version, which spanned from 98/99 to 2004ish, when it was replaced by an even narrower single screw.

While it could be alder as part of the base wood choice, that the neck wood blends in rather well also makes me think it could be maple. How heavy is it? In '96 there was still poplar in use, and this is most certainly not that.

Looks like it was originally clear (gloss or satin I couldn't tell you), but it's pretty worn and grungey, or else it was stripped and refinished to that. Either way, I'd strip that finish down to raw wood and either put a new clear finish on, or stain it / use a tinted clear to get the color from the wood.

Or, disinfect it and let that "patina" remain as a conversation starter. There is no wrong answer here.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Jack'O'Licious
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Wood and year for Carvin DC127

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:24 am

It definitely needs a bath
Kiesels: 2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)
Others: Peavey Raptor Plus (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, Ibanez RGEW521ZC
Basses: 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars