A Pickup Description Post!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby wickid » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 am

Bump.
Hey "Dometal" ... With all the power vested in me on this BBS (which is absolutlely NONE - hah! :P ) I hearby put you in charge of bumping this thread at least once a month to keep it somewhat of a blip on the radar. Hey man, you started this thing. :wink:
Peoples gotsta know.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Levelhead
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Levelhead » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

Is there a post like this somewhere for Carvin's bass pickups?
CT424C, CT74C, Bolt C, HH2, B5, IC5W, V3MC, MB10
Soundcloud.com/the-great-funzo Soundcloud.com/mattowax

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby Roy Munson » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Roy Munson wrote:
Axe wrote:Why is this thread NOT a sticky? :think:

BUMP, had to go diggin for this thread but Domelitican saw my query for it and linked it, thanks D'can

SO AGAIN >> Why is this thread not STICKIED :think: :lol: :stir: :stir:

Come on Admins :soapbox: lets go, sticky this thing!! :applause: 8) :D

What I said in May, why is this thread not stickied??? 8) :lol:

I'll quote Keyshawn Johnson here and say loudly >>> , "Come ON MAN!!!!" :lol: :stir: :wall: :lol:

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Roy Munson wrote:
Roy Munson wrote:
Axe wrote:Why is this thread NOT a sticky? :think:

BUMP, had to go diggin for this thread but Domelitican saw my query for it and linked it, thanks D'can

SO AGAIN >> Why is this thread not STICKIED :think: :lol: :stir: :stir:

Come on Admins :soapbox: lets go, sticky this thing!! :applause: 8) :D

What I said in May, why is this thread not stickied??? 8) :lol:

I'll quote Keyshawn Johnson here and say loudly >>> , "Come ON MAN!!!!" :lol: :stir: :wall: :lol:

Sti - cky Sti - cky Sti - cky Sti - cky !
(Or 1 of them lame-azz clap-alongs ...
Sti-cky this thread, clap clap clapclapclap, Sti-cky this thread, clap clap clapclapclap.)

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:01 pm

Let's flood Chris' pm box with messages of "sticky this thread" :stir:

christianfox
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby christianfox » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am

Just want to add my voice to the dozens who have already spoken. This is a great thread, much needed, and well worth keeping in the eyes of prospective buyers. I can see this saving a lot of trouble and confusion.

Also, I have the S22B/J combo in my CS6 (owned since 2010). Previously I had the C22B/J in a Washburn guitar I used to own. I can say with certainty that the S22 combo is similar in usefulness and tonal features to the C22 combo, but different in all the right ways.
I love both combos in their own right. But I gotta say, the warmth, balance, versatility, etc is so good in the S22's. If you are looking for a Carvin version of a Gibson Les Paul (only significantly better and more versatile) these are the RIGHT pickups for the job.
I think the C22's shine better in other situations. My next guitar will most likely have C22's, since I'll probably get a CT624 and have a more high gain, hard rock sound in mind.

Anyhow, there's my two cents.
Again, thank you for starting this thread. I wish it was around 4+ years ago when I was deciding on pickups for my CS6. I arrived at the right conclusion, but not before a LOT of research!
2010 CS6
2009 Cobalt C750TS

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 am

wickid wrote:
Bump.
Hey "Dometal" ... With all the power vested in me on this BBS (which is absolutlely NONE - hah! :P ) I hearby put you in charge of bumping this thread at least once a month to keep it somewhat of a blip on the radar. Hey man, you started this thing. :wink:
Peoples gotsta know.

Do-od, yer slippin' (bump)

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:51 pm

wickid wrote:
wickid wrote:
Bump.
Peoples gotsta know.

Do-od, yer slippin' (bump)

You know what else is gonna slip? My foot...on a banana. lol. Thanks guys! With all of our inputs, this will answer every question needed!
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

wejammin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby wejammin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:17 am

I'd never heard a Carvin until I got my SH550 with stock S22J&B pickups. I've only owned Gibsons with 57 classics and 490/498s (and a Dot that I put Lindy Fralin P-92s in- great pickups, btw). Still, these are the only Carvin pups I've really spent any time with. When I first got my Carvin, I could understand the criticisms I'd heard, even though I was extremely happy. The SH550 has always been my favorite guitar, and after a couple of years of being able to listen to and compare all of those pickups, I still am the happiest with the S22s; they are sensational! I haven't heard burst buckers in person, so I can't compare those, but IMO the S22s don't sound anything like any of the others, though with the right settings, I might be able to get closer to the 490/498 combo.

I hardly ever play with the bridge pickup alone, and most of what I play is clean. When the coils are split, they come fairly close to the Fralin P-92s (the Fralins still have more character). I've also put Thomastik-Infeld Flatwound 10s on the 550, and they have really added some punch to the low end and added an overall thicker, richer texture to those pups. I highly recommend trying them, but beware that they will break in locking tuners.
Last edited by wejammin on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am

wejammin wrote:...I've also put Thomastik-Infeld Flatwound 10s on the 550, and they have really added some punch to the low end and added an overall thicker, richer texture to those pups. I highly recommend trying them, but beware that they will break in locking tuners.

Yes, IMHO the Thomastik JS110 Flatwound are the best for a smooth, rich, jazzy tone and the Thomastik SL110 Blues Sliders are by far the best blues, funk, jazz or r&b combo strings on the market. And I have not experienced any issues with string breakage due to locking tuners. 8)

TL60 Dude
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby TL60 Dude » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:13 pm

anyone have problems with the S22's and feed back?
with my distortion pedal gain at 12 oclock it squeals like crazy. with both pickups on and the tone down 20% it's better but..
2015 SCB6M WW, BC, 404, PSN, SL
2013 Bolt Plus Ash1, TR, RW, S22s,
2007 TL60 133, B, MP, TN
2004 TL60t FTS, BB, 127, AB, TN, MAH, FPH, 402
MTS 3212 BR12's
Vintage 16 Celestion V30

RodoKnoX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RodoKnoX » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:37 am

Bumpity bump

Im having trouble finding a good demo video on youtube of the TBH on the neck position. Im planning a bolt and i dunno if i want a TBH-AP11-AP11 or TBH-AP11-TBH (B-C-N). I love the taste of the ap11 in the neck but probably i can use the tbh to handle the heavier stuff. Any thoughts?
Proud member of the Carvin family, from CHILE!
Carvin V3mC + Celestion v30 & Ct4 Black & Gold
http://www.youtube.com/user/RanulfoKnox - my tube channel.

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:55 am

OK, so who can give a description of Jeff's new 8 stringers?
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Tabare777 wrote:OK, so who can give a description of Jeff's new 8 stringers?

Not sure yet but here are the links to the riffage:

8 Stringer: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickup ... clips.html

7 Stringer: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickup ... clips.html

They sound really good. Sorry for jumping to conclusions (considering the lack of pickup knowledge some of the young 'djent' crowd has...). Loving them.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 am

charvaxe wrote:I have to disagree about the C22T. It does very well at classic hard rock and classic metal through my V-3. At the moment it's my favorite Carvin pickup.

:rockon:

Agreed to.

This does classic rock and classic heavy metal very well.
Through Plexi type for classic rock, and through JCM800/Bogner/Soldano type for 80'ish metal.

In single coil mode, it sure is somewhere into the country land (tele'ish) through a Vox or Matchless type amp.

This is of corse a bit "old PAF" bright, and don't necesarry fit modern high gain amps.

It also react very well to the dynamics of your playing, and cleans up well when lowering voloume.

PS. When it comes to PU's, it is very much dependent on what amp you connect to :wink:
Carvin Guitars 1996-2016: DC127T - SC90S - DC135M - BOLT HSS - TL60 - BOLT HSS - DC600 - DC127M - PB4 - SC90M - DC135 - BOLT-C - DC127M - DC145C - CS624 - DC127M - DC600H - SC90 Last Run Ed - Bolt Plus Last Run - CS324 20th Ann
Carvin Amps: VL100/VL412C - 2 X100Bs - V3M/212V - MTS 3200

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:01 am

RodoKnoX wrote: I love the taste of the ap11 in the neck but probably i can use the tbh to handle the heavier stuff. Any thoughts?

Yes, IMO you can.

I've tried the twinblade at the neck of my AE185 and my CT4M and really like it in both.
Not as much in my DC135.
I've got one at the bridge of my Bolt and have no doubt that it would be excellent at the neck as well... especially for the heavier stuff.
Last edited by ElfDude on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 am

As a lover of Medium output PAF style pickups, I'm a HUGE fan of the C22B & C22N pickups.

I come from the EVH/80's school of players, but like a lot of other modern tones & sounds too. I like my cleans to be crystal & my Bridge pickup to Rock-out & sound thick, but never muddy. The C22's do this for me & provide just the right balance of sustain, clarity & punch that I need & lok for in a pickup. Playing in a cover band they have no problem covering most Pop/Rock hits & when I'm recording my own instrumental music, they also do the job very well too!

The coil tap feature added to the HH (C22B/C22N) combo of these pups also does wonders in adding GREAT usable split/single coil tones too! There is a slight/expected volume drop on the split selections though, but for recording it's not an issue at all.

I'm kind of surprised at the difference in sound/tone on the C22N pickup I have in each guitar though. In the CT it's just OK & slightly muddy at times, but in the CS it has that phat woody tone & clarity at the exact same time. I really perfer it in the CS, but the added covers in my CT have fixed the muddy issue I was having.

I know that a guitarist sounds comes from his style, fingers & over-all gear direction & ability, but for straight up Pop, Blues, Classic & Modern Rock tones, these pickups really cover a lot of ground!!!!! :applause: 8) :applause: 8)

I'm a HUGE fan of the C22's & now have a covered set as well (more on that later)!

This is a great thread & really helps the new user get an idea of where to start with Carvin pickups.

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I'm working on another pickup review Video (like I did w/ the C22's in my Gold Top CS Guitar), but this time with the Covered set & my Teal CT. :shh: While these videos probably help no one out in the end, they are just plain fun to create! :o :wink:

PMS - I don't change gear as much as I use to & know what I need & like now. I do look at the gear used by people who are achieving tones that I'm going for or people who are just getting GREAT tones. So many things make-up the end sound we hear & love that it's never just that ONE thing needed to get you there. Lots of litttle pieces add up & your guitar pickups & guitar speakers are ones that can make a BIG difference in your sound. :think:
Last edited by X-Mann on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 am

X-Mann wrote:I'm kind of surprised at the difference in sound/tone on the C22N pickup I have in each guitar though. In the CT it's just OK & slightly muddy at times, but in the CS it has that phat woody tone & clarity at the exact same time. I really perfer it in the CS, but the added covers in my CT have fixed the muddy issue I was having.

I'm continually surprised as well at how different the same pickup can sound in different guitars... especially neck pickups. It took me a long time to find the ideal neck pickup for my CT. Now that seems to be the quest for my recently acquired (and beloved) SH445. So far I've tried the C22J, the H22N, and the C22N. And the jury is still out. :lol:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:51 am

ElfDude wrote:
X-Mann wrote:I'm kind of surprised at the difference in sound/tone on the C22N pickup I have in each guitar though. In the CT it's just OK & slightly muddy at times, but in the CS it has that phat woody tone & clarity at the exact same time. I really perfer it in the CS, but the added covers in my CT have fixed the muddy issue I was having.

I'm continually surprised as well at how different the same pickup can sound in different guitars... especially neck pickups. It took me a long time to find the ideal neck pickup for my CT. Now that seems to be the quest for my recently acquired (and beloved) SH445. So far I've tried the C22J, the H22N, and the C22N. And the jury is still out. :lol:

Yes, this is a very interesting thing to me too Elf. Imagine how many pickups you've tried that didn't work in one guitar & you (or me) thought that you just didn't like that pickup at all.

Again, I was suprised that adding the cover fixed the issue I was having in the neck pup too. It's really like having a totally different set in my CT now too. 8)

X

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm

booomp, for those that may be searching ...

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars