Translucent pearl pink over darker wood

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Translucent pearl pink over darker wood

Postby killa j » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:37 pm

As I'm sure lots of you do, I keep changing what I want my next guitar to look like. I've narrowed it down to pink for whatever reason. I was thinking a V7 in Kelly Osbourne pink quilt, but the arm cutaway is throwing me off. I've decided I would be better off with translucent pearl pink with no top and the neck and body made of the same wood (I'm not a fan of a contrasting neck being visible from the front).

I think all maple will leave the guitar too bright sounding. I know a lot of people will argue against wood making a difference in tone, but in my experience it at least makes enough difference to matter to me. So there's limba, koa, walnut, and mahogany. Koa is more expensive than I'd like to go since it's going to be colored. I think walnut would look too dark. That leaves mahogany and limba. White limba and mahogany don't have a ton of figure in the wood most of the time. I think white limba would look better than mahogany though because of the orange-ish color of mahogany.

Finally, there's black limba. While some of it is as dark as walnut, it has lighter areas on it. I think that black limba has the potential to look incredible with translucent pink. I'm just worried that it might be too dark under the pink and it may end up red instead of pink. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

NickCormier
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Translucent pearl pink over darker wood

Postby NickCormier » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 pm

I've been thinking the same thing, trying to decide on a budget-friendly V7. I'm going back and forth between a solid color (white, complete barebones), a 5pc mahogany neck + mahogany wings, or a mahogany top. I wasnt able to find any pictures of a 5pc mahog neck + mahog wings, to see how bad the lines show up.

Mahogany top is probably the right option. But if anyone has a pic of same neck woods + wings together stained, maybe we can see how bad it looks hah.
I'd appreciate anyone who wants to like/follow my facebook page: Nick Cormier on Facebook
and of course, check out my website: Http://www.NickCormier.com

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:25 pm

I guess a better question would be this - exactly how "translucent" is the pink? Enough for the wood beneath to make a big difference in the color, or just enough to see some grain?

I saw a picture of moss green over black limba on here, and the lighter areas on the limba didn't seem to change the moss green very much. So I suspect that pink would end up being pink with reddish pink grain.

PowerTube
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PowerTube » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:03 pm

From the Carvin Gallery:

Over Maple:

Over Swamp Ash:

Over Maple:

Hope this helps.

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah, I've seen those but appreciate the help. There just aren't a lot of pictures of that color I guess. I think white limba is the much safer choice if I really want it to be pink.

potatohead
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Translucent pearl pink over darker wood

Postby potatohead » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 pm

killa j wrote:Yeah, I've seen those but appreciate the help. There just aren't a lot of pictures of that color I guess. I think white limba is the much safer choice if I really want it to be pink.

If you put it over mahogany I bet it comes out very red. You're better off sticking with light colored woods IMO.
V3M 212
2012 DC700 (gloss spalt)
2013 CS6 x 2 (satin purple flame, satin green flame)
2013 CS4 (satin black)
2015 CT4 (satin blue ash w/ AAT)

PowerTube
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PowerTube » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:30 am

killa j wrote:Yeah, I've seen those but appreciate the help. There just aren't a lot of pictures of that color I guess. I think white limba is the much safer choice if I really want it to be pink.

I posted last night about pics of Translucent Crimson Red over White Limba and there are no responses yet. I'm starting to wonder if that combo has ever been done before.

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 am

potatohead wrote:

If you put it over mahogany I bet it comes out very red. You're better off sticking with light colored woods IMO.

There's a picture of pink over mahogany, it's more of a salmon color. I've narrowed it down to white or black limba. And I'm thinking black limba, while probably having some cool looking grain, will change the color too much.

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 am

@the OP - If you want "pink" pink, I would suggest an ash top (no ATT). Darker wood will "mess" with the color, and maybe in an unexpected way.

PowerTube wrote:

I posted last night about pics of Translucent Crimson Red over White Limba and there are no responses yet. I'm starting to wonder if that combo has ever been done before.

White Limba Tops have only been available for a short amount of time, so you may be the first. But....

.... But I have been speccing out one with Crimson Red w/Sunset burst over White Limba (I see it in my head). I have that color combo on one of my SC90's (over flame maple).
The color should be awesome on white limba IMO :)

Carvin Guitars 1996-2016: DC127T - SC90S - DC135M - BOLT HSS - TL60 - BOLT HSS - DC600 - DC127M - PB4 - SC90M - DC135 - BOLT-C - DC127M - DC145C - CS624 - DC127M - DC600H - SC90 Last Run Ed - Bolt Plus Last Run - CS324 20th Ann
Carvin Amps: VL100/VL412C - 2 X100Bs - V3M/212V - MTS 3200

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:29 am

From the Carvin Gallery:

Over Maple:

Over Swamp Ash:

Over Maple:

Sounds like a cool build!
One thing to remember though, Carvin finishes tend to look darker in person than they appear on their website-- just something to keep in mind ;)

PowerTube
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PowerTube » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 am

Bredo wrote:The color should be awesome on white limba IMO :)

I hope so. I'll know in a couple of months.

8)

massifontana

Re: Translucent pearl pink over darker wood

Postby massifontana » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 am

I'm upping this old thread since I'ld like to know if this color (TRANS PEARL PINK) would result more "reddish" on a black limba body..
Please say to me that it's true or I'm going to have the Gayest VM7 of the world in the next month.. :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

massifontana wrote:I'm upping this old thread since I'ld like to know if this color (TRANS PEARL PINK) would result more "reddish" on a black limba body..
Please say to me that it's true or I'm going to have the Gayest VM7 of the world in the next month.. :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

Well if the Kiesel wood Gods smile upon you it might be awesome. Rest assured gay or not it took balls to order it ; )
Look forward to seeing it. It’s a good looking translucent pearl pink color IMHO.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

massifontana

Postby massifontana » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 am

dbone wrote:
massifontana wrote:I'm upping this old thread since I'ld like to know if this color (TRANS PEARL PINK) would result more "reddish" on a black limba body..

Well if the Kiesel wood Gods smile upon you it might be awesome. Rest assured gay or not it took balls to order it ; )
Look forward to seeing it. It’s a good looking translucent pearl pink color IMHO.

U know what? When I'll open that case it will be a real surprise! :mrgreen:
At the end of the day will be a gret sounding guitar anyway, or an excuse to buy another! :cowbell:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars