Happy to report about the Theorium/Beryllium pickups

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Happy to report about the Theorium/Beryllium pickups

Postby Dometalican » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 pm

I asked about them on Jeff's live video on Facebook:

Jeff: "yeah, they're coming along nicely. We'll probably be looking at a NA'AM release".

There you go. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Happy to report about the Theorium/Beryllium pickups

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Did you hear the "...hopefully..." under his breath as Mike was starting the next question? :wink: :stir: :laughhard:

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:13 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Did you hear the "...hopefully..." under his breath as Mike was starting the next question? :wink: :stir: :laughhard:

YES!!
:laughhard:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:00 pm

arahobob wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Did you hear the "...hopefully..." under his breath as Mike was starting the next question? :wink: :stir: :laughhard:

YES!!
:laughhard:

I think he should start crackin on those things. I have found more positive views on the lithiums latley. However I personally know of two people who will not order from them due to the liths. I have been checking out multi scales and am leaning in the direction of a vader. Bob, your comment on the vader being more comfy than the aries has made me reconsider. I trust your opion that much.
It is all well and good. I have tried the lithium on six and seven strings. The are not the end of the world, but I will not buy a new guitar with them. Even more so on the multi scale due to the limited options out there. Maybe I will wait, maybe an Ibanez.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 am

Pretty sure they offer duncans as an option for multi-scale.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 am

Toptube wrote:Pretty sure they offer duncans as an option for multi-scale.
I have heard some of that. I also heard that the way Kiesel angles the pickup that standard bobbins will not work. Is kiesel giving them bobbins to be wound? Or has kiesel made their pickups "standard" ? It is an argumentative point, but there is some duncans I do not like. What duncan is it, or is it all of them??

Just so I do not appear hypocritical, I do believe not buying a guitar due to its pickup is like not buying a car due to its tires. The multi scale adds a certain amount of confusion for me. And truth be told if I can buy from some one else I would rather do that. When my itch gets bad enough for a multi scale I will explore options in more depth. I just bought a guitar yesterday so I need to chill a bit.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 am

Theorium P-90s?
:mrgreen:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:45 am

texastoast wrote:
Toptube wrote:Pretty sure they offer duncans as an option for multi-scale.
I have heard some of that. I also heard that the way Kiesel angles the pickup that standard bobbins will not work. Is kiesel giving them bobbins to be wound? Or has kiesel made their pickups "standard" ? It is an argumentative point, but there is some duncans I do not like. What duncan is it, or is it all of them??

Duncan is winding pickups, and I believe it's 4 different models, using the Kiesel-multiscale-compatible parts.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 pm

texastoast wrote: I have been checking out multi scales and am leaning in the direction of a vader. Bob, your comment on the vader being more comfy than the aries has made me reconsider. I trust your opinion that much.
It is all well and good. I have tried the lithium on six and seven strings. The are not the end of the world, but I will not buy a new guitar with them. Even more so on the multi scale due to the limited options out there. Maybe I will wait, maybe an Ibanez.

Thanks for the kind words TexasT! :mrgreen:
I've had the V7 for a while now and still am amazed by the comfort factor. It's a great design. I think it's the minimal body with those curves that does it. It sits well. Feels terrific.
C/K necks (especially neck through) are always super comfy to me in general.

I would still consider getting a Aries. I've got ONE more build left to do and the Aries is definitely a contender.
The big factor for me is the pups.
I'm going to see what the new year brings and what new things Jeff throws our way.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:37 pm

texastoast wrote:However I personally know of two people who will not order from them due to the liths.

Wait--what? Someone will not order a Kiesel guitar altogether because they're cold on the Lithium sound?

Is this specifically and only because they want a multiscale and the the bobbins on their desired pups won't work, and so the whole concept is a bust?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:17 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
texastoast wrote:However I personally know of two people who will not order from them due to the liths.

Wait--what? Someone will not order a Kiesel guitar altogether because they're cold on the Lithium sound?

Is this specifically and only because they want a multiscale and the the bobbins on their desired pups won't work, and so the whole concept is a bust?

If you think about it, it's not entirely crazy. Imagine dropping $160 + shipping to send off your pickups in hopes that they a. Receive them and b. They work with the specs you picked for your custom guitar (also relinquishing the 10-day warranty due to customer-selected pickups). It's a slight risk surprisingly.

However, it would seem easier to sell the Lithiums for money to get the pickups you want. I'm just glad we're getting two more options soon (let's HOPE it's NA'AM).
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:

No the multi scale issue is /was mine. One that I can overcome apparently with the new info thanks to you all. I talked to Mike today and asked for the lithiums with hope the new pickups are going to be ok and I am not dead before they come in. Worse case I will get the duncans later.
The two I speak of are just being silly. They know I will put in anything they want for free. They feel it is a waist of money. And it is on six string regular scale. I informed one that I know of that the whole Carvin pickup range is available. He just shrugged. Whatever. Point is I think the lithium is repelling more than it is attracting. I have no real evidence to prove that, it is more my opinion. I could be wrong. You will never please everyone all the time no matter what. I do not envy them for that. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard Carvin/Kiesels "electronics" are crap. To me that indicates pots, switches and capacitors. All of them have past the test of time for me with flying colors. Pickups are just personal taste. Carvin pickups have been trashed as long as I can remember. Most I like quite a bit. My sound if you will.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:14 am

texastoast, you are totally confusing me.

You talked about how some people seem to hate the lithiums, including two people you know. Then you said you wouldn't buy a guitar with lithiums in it. And wished for more multi-scale pickup options.

I tell you that Kiesel is offering Duncans, too. (Jeff said so, in a fairly recent video). Spudmunkey seems to know more info about it. Now there are more options!

But you don't like Duncans, either?

and now, you ordered a new Kiesel, with lithiums?? :wall: :think: :laughhard: :stir: :applause: :wink:

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:31 am

Toptube wrote:texastoast, you are totally confusing me.

You talked about how some people seem to hate the lithiums, including two people you know. Then you said you wouldn't buy a guitar with lithiums in it. And wished for more multi-scale pickup options.

I tell you that Kiesel is offering Duncans, too. (Jeff said so, in a fairly recent video). Spudmunkey seems to know more info about it. Now there are more options!

But you don't like Duncans, either?

and now, you ordered a new Kiesel, with lithiums?? :wall: :think: :laughhard: :stir: :applause: :wink:

Below is for clarity and not to argue with you top tube. You advise changed my mind.

Never said I do not like duncans. Read it again slowly and carefully. They make a couple of dozen models. I am bound not to like some don't you think? I was asking what duncans. AS in is it based on a current model.
Here is what I wrote:
"It is an argumentative point, but there is some duncans I do not like. What duncan is it, or is it all of them??"

and perhaps you missed this:

"just so I do not appear hypocritical, I do believe not buying a guitar due to its pickup is like not buying a car due to its tires. The multi scale adds a certain amount of confusion for me. And truth be told if I can buy from some one else I would rather do that. When my itch gets bad enough for a multi scale I will explore options in more depth" Sounds like an open mind to me.

And yes, i said I would not buy a new guitar with them. Then I mentioned multi in particular. Before then I guess I should have stated six string would get a Carvin pickup or a parallax or holdsworth or whatever. I did point out multi in particular because at the time I thought it was the only option. And it is what I am looking at buying.

Then I was educated buy you guys, and Mike about my options. I was planning on waiting for the new pickups to arrive initially. Or if my itch got too bad I would buy a guitar from someone else. Then I had an idea for a guitar. SO I called and asked if they can do it. If I get it, as soon as something is available i will most likely swap them out with quickness. Unless I like them in the multi. You never know.

Also please note how I never bashed the pickups. I said the are not the end of the world for me. I just never really like them.

I guess I should have just been hard headed and not accept new information so I do not confuse anyone
:oops: :stir: :wall: :laughhard:

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:28 am

Oops, one more clarification. I did not order a guitar. I have an idea for a guitar and am asking if they will do it. Just more exploring of my options.

As a side note I just looked at a Ibanez 7 multi. I did not plug it in. I will say I do not like the look of the pickups in it. Not a deal breaker either but to me they look like eight string pickups on a seven string guitar. A bunch of pickup above and below the strings. Kinda looked odd to me. Lithiums may or may not sound better. They sure look better. Aesthetics matter if all else is equal to me. After all I am a collector at heart. It is my hobby.

I also like the base plate and general construction of the Kiesel pickups for what that is worth. They are meaty. Gotta give them credit there.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Your points on the "electronics" of Carvin guitars are spot on... if I allow myself to go too deep down into this subject I might start cursing and be banned, and I know there are also many gentle folks of faith around here as well.

This whole issue wigs me the hell out. First of all I'm guessing they're talking about caps and pots.

The whole "Bumblebee" and "Orange Drop" makes me ill... this expensive nonsense fudged onto the mindlessly worshipful public.

Yes, I've been a Gibsonophile for just about all of my life. I freely admit that they have produced 3 or 4 guitar styles in their history which lay down the benchmark for me since I became what I thought was "good" on my instrument, whereby I understood that the finest examples of these models represent the apex of what I need to express myself on my instrument. Variants of the les Paul, the SG, the J45 and the Firebird III in the first decade of each's incarnation represent the ideal for me, the scale length, the construction style, the pickup composition and neck joint...

That said, I know where to draw the line where the earth ends and the fog begins. To me there is simply no greater litmus test or peek into a guitar player's psyche than eyeing a person's response after he's changed the caps in his guitar to something 25 to 50x the price of perfectly good and freely available product ...

Is there going to be a difference with your pots based on whether or not you choose a smooth taper 500K versus higher or lower, versus a cheap wank of asian garbage that has no effect at all on your signal? Absolutely. But I've never had a single complaint in almost 32 years with the pots and capacitors that came with my 150. The bumblebee racket is the biggest sack of witchcraft on the planet. The funny thing is you'll find guys poo pooing something like tonewood, or claiming that there is no detectable difference between ebony vs a rosewood board... yet they will jump onto TGP triumphantly proclaiming the incredible new vintage improvement in their tone after switching to Drops or Bees.

And that tale of a guy not wanting to buy a standard 6 string because--what.. Lithiums exist?.. is pretty incredible stuff. Probably just as well. Let them buy an Ibanzez or a Jackson and leave us to our pleasures.

Anyone that I've annoyed, watch for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=817JHiYV_Po

then watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Hu52vmxE0&feature=youtu.be
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:32 pm

I always thought all capacitor roads lead to tolerance.(for the most part)
I as we speak have 2 orange drop caps that are rated at 22 uf. When tested they read 20 and 21uf.
I have three green generic chiclets that Carvin uses and all three are at 22uf.
When I charge to work on guitars I use the orange drops. They add resale value I guess. I was at namm about ten years ago. I will never forget when I went to look at a maufactures product and their main selling point was bumble bee capacitors.Nothing about wood or workmanship. He kept on going on about the tone caps. As like this thing goes to 11.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:14 am

From Mark's fingers, into my guitar, where they have remained, untouched.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

laxu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby laxu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:36 pm

So what exactly are the Thorium and Beryllium pickups? How do they differ from Lithiums?

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:43 pm

laxu wrote:So what exactly are the Thorium and Beryllium pickups? How do they differ from Lithiums?

As far as I know that is asking what is the difference between a snipe, a unicorn, and an elephant. The first two are just mystical legends so far. I think they are still in development.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars