OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!! -MOD EDIT- SEE P. 3 FOR UPDATED PRICING.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!! -MOD EDIT- SEE P. 3 FOR UPDATED PRICING.

Postby Bob77 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:59 am

Has anybody heard of any updates on this new product?
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!! -MOD EDIT- SEE P. 3 FOR UPDATED PRICING.

Postby dejabluguitar » Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 am

Jeff showed a completed honetburst. It's on his instagram. I can't post pics from my iPad idk why.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat May 27, 2017 1:13 pm

That was over 3 weeks ago, and I think radio silence since then.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 am

Can't wait for these guitars to start rolling off the line, and maybe progress pics on social media. Glad this topic got bumped because I crack up every time I read ""SQUEEE!!!". I've yet to use it in conversation, but am actively looking for an opportunity.
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

KH
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby KH » Mon May 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Love the thickness of this body. Wish you could get this guitar in a solidy body and no F hole. Basically, full thickness solid body like an LP or McCarty 594.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon May 29, 2017 2:37 pm

This model will be 2.6" thick, which i believe is .36" thicker than an LP, is it not? That thing is gonna be an ANCHOR! :)

KH
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby KH » Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm

spudmunkey wrote:This model will be 2.6" thick, which i believe is .36" thicker than an LP, is it not? That thing is gonna be an ANCHOR! :)

Is that 2.6 top of the carve to the back?
I believe an LP is 2.4 top carve to back.
1.96 back to top of binding. I just wish Kiesel would offer the CS or CT with a thicker mahogany back. Rather than the thinner Eclipse or McCarty 245 mahogany back. I had that LTD EC401 and my Edwards LPC. Much preferred my Edwards all around.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 am

KH wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:This model will be 2.6" thick, which i believe is .36" thicker than an LP, is it not? That thing is gonna be an ANCHOR! :)

Is that 2.6 top of the carve to the back?
I believe an LP is 2.4 top carve to back.
1.96 back to top of binding. I just wish Kiesel would offer the CS or CT with a thicker mahogany back. Rather than the thinner Eclipse or McCarty 245 mahogany back. I had that LTD EC401 and my Edwards LPC. Much preferred my Edwards all around.

In a video, Jeff mentioned that the body is the same depth as the SH550, but will be thinner at the edges due to the deeper top carving that the CT has.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:01 pm

So cool.

Here's what I'm confused about. The specs say "2.6" thick at center of body, 1.5" thick at edge" a 1.1" difference. That's a hell of a carve! It also says the top is 20mm thick. That's less than 1.1", and that's not counting the .25" of clear edge they leave. The top would have to be like 1.35" thick for those measurements. Am I missing something or is there a misprint?

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Nice to see that it is official.

So 300 bux more than the SH500. As mentioned before....why not a lower priced option with a plain top, especially for those wanting to use solid finishes? Oh well...maybe it will be an option later down the road.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:34 pm

A good question. I remember that it took *years* before the Sh550 was available in anything lower than flamed maple... and even then, at first, it was only cedar. Didn't understand it then, still don't now.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 am

spudmunkey wrote:A good question. I remember that it took *years* before the Sh550 was available in anything lower than flamed maple... and even then, at first, it was only cedar. Didn't understand it then, still don't now.

Exactly! How difficult would it be to start the model with a plain top and allow people to upgrade as an option?

I am one of those few and rare guys that actually prefers plain tops and/or solid colors - especially metallic colors. If I was going to order one of these guitars, I would probably get a metallic color or bite the bullet and get the silver metal flake option which would look absolutely awesome on these guitars.

But it would be an incredibly waste to paint over a flamed maple top!

robertkoa
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!!

Postby robertkoa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:16 pm

So looking at this Semi Hollow at $1899. to $2050. with EVO frets and a 5 way and toggles- could still work.

I would prefer an H - S - H 30 different tones in one Guitar ( lol )-
BUT the 22 fret would be mandatory.

I think most will compare to a PRS .

Might be superior in some ways.

The 22 Fret will obviously change the Tone on Neck but also has the advantage VISUALLY of moving the Bridge back toward the strap end of the Guitar for a more balanced appearance.

https://youtu.be/hzY3hLGWp4Y

Again I am not chasing exact tones or imitating Players...

It will be interesting to see how much the curved design with the Body Thickness tapering from the Center to the outer edges affects the Tones.

There's a really expensive Guitar played by Mike Moreno that uses this tapered design on 25.5 " scale with great Jazz Tones and kind of deeper Jazzier EJ type tones.

https://youtu.be/g96pC7vdWtc

You can hear it has a deep dark quality even at low volume..
mostly from the Guitar itself not the Amp..it's about $7000. to $9000.

I can see how a 22 Fret Holdsworth might be similar to this with 11 or 12 Gauge Strings.

So a Holdsworth 22 or Possibly the SH6 22 might work well.

The JA 15 PRS above was over $4000 I think.

So ..if it gets the fatness and warmth- SH 22 will be great.

I would prefer an SH 22 in 25.5 " scale 6 string.

Anyway - what are the chances that a 25" Scale 22 fret version might be fatter darker than a Holdsworth or an SH 550 ?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 am

Bob77 wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:A good question. I remember that it took *years* before the Sh550 was available in anything lower than flamed maple... and even then, at first, it was only cedar. Didn't understand it then, still don't now.

Exactly! How difficult would it be to start the model with a plain top and allow people to upgrade as an option?

I am one of those few and rare guys that actually prefers plain tops and/or solid colors - especially metallic colors. If I was going to order one of these guitars, I would probably get a metallic color or bite the bullet and get the silver metal flake option which would look absolutely awesome on these guitars.

But it would be an incredibly waste to paint over a flamed maple top!

I didn't even realize they did that. So even if you want a solid color top, they're going to select a (or make you pay as if they'd selected) highly figured piece of flamed maple? That's, as we'd say on the streets of the Bx in the early 80's, "wack attack."

Has anyone asked about this?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am

Several times, both now and with the SH550 launch. It seems it's meant to be their "halo" model, and aren't currently interested in making them in "plain" spec.

To answer your one point, back in the days before the cedar tops and now the plain tops, if you ordered a jet-black painted SH550, they painted over flamed maple.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 am

spudmunkey wrote:Several times, both now and with the SH550 launch. It seems it's meant to be their "halo" model, and aren't currently interested in making them in "plain" spec.

To answer your one point, back in the days before the cedar tops and now the plain tops, if you ordered a jet-black painted SH550, they painted over flamed maple.

Well that's just armed robbery LOL! A royal waste of money and wood.

The only exception would be if the customer wants a solid color with natural body binding to show the flame just around the edges of the top, which would actually be kind of cool depending on what options the guitar has.

Otherwise, then that's just wrong man.
Last edited by Bob77 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am

Well, it's better that they still give it to you for the price. that way if you ever decide to refinish, you still have the flamed maple you paid for...i suppose... :-p

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 am

spudmunkey wrote:Well, it's better that they still give it to you for the price. that way if you ever decide to refinish, you still have the flamed maple you paid for...i suppose... :-p

Good point haha :mrgreen:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am

Still sort of bizarre that they'd insist on putting a highly decorative top under a straight solid paint job without BBE. I don't think I've ever heard of something so strange out of a custom shop. The could just r-e-a-c-h for a plain piece of nice maple, but they, I guess, just won't do it.

I could see if they insisted on trans and clear finishes only. Then you've got a model that they insist on making look like a crown jewel. But since you can paint it flat, it's kinda... weird.

But, nobody's forcing anyone to buy anything, so....
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars