OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!! -MOD EDIT- SEE P. 3 FOR UPDATED PRICING.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!!

Postby hallwayminstrel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 pm

spudmunkey wrote:...It took something like 5 years before the SH550CE was offered with a ceder top, which could finally be painted with solid finishes at a discount. They will do a K series in a solid paint, but I believe there's no discount.

Yep, the SH550CE was $100 less than the SH500 at the time I bought mine.

Like others, I really like this new guitar, but would like to see 22 frets as an option.
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

morph
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby morph » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
morph wrote:Speaking of prices, it seems the current policy is that we get no price break if we request a less costly wood (i.e., plain maple or swamp ash instead of flame maple for the top). This seems to make no sense, as everything about the build would be the same, except that they use a cheaper material. Am I wrong about this? Has this ever been explained?

It hasn't since the SH550 was launched in 2010-ish with only a flamed maple top base model. Like the K-series, it's just that it's treated as a sort of "cadillac" model, and they don't want to sell a Cadillac with steel wheels.

I'm not defending it, just explaining the rationale the way I understood it. It took something like 5 years before the SH550CE was offered with a ceder top, which could finally be painted with solid finishes at a discount. They will do a K series in a solid paint, but I believe there's no discount.

Thanks, spud. I guess you're right, it has been like that for a while. Doesn't seem like the oldschool Carvin "you get what you pay for" spirit, though. I could see them treating it like an option 50 and waiving the 10-day return, on the theory that you're asking for a build that might be less desirable as a GIS. That would also serve the marketing purpose of discouraging "economy style" builds. But the basic idea of Carvin/Kiesel pricing has always been promoted as a function of cost of options and labor involved. This runs counter to that spirit, seems to me.

morph
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby morph » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Hmm, the SH6 kinda reminds me of John Mayer's signature PRS. I wonder if the option for a middle single coil will be part of the mix, along with 22 frets? Can only hope--it would be genius...

Pricing aside, props to Jeff for this cool addition. Along with the Solo, it's great to see a little love for the old school guitar guys. And good business :) too, I should think.

rzbk777
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby rzbk777 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 am

morph wrote:Hmm, the SH6 kinda reminds me of John Mayer's signature PRS. I wonder if the option for a middle single coil will be part of the mix, along with 22 frets? Can only hope--it would be genius...

Pricing aside, props to Jeff for this cool addition. Along with the Solo, it's great to see a little love for the old school guitar guys. And good business :) too, I should think.

Jeff said no to the 22 frets but he did say they could do a middle single coil on the trem version, he would have to test if it would work on the fixed bridge but wanted someone be to be willing to order one first.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:35 am

Considering my product suggestion of a cheaper JB had no replies from the people complaining about the ST300's disappearance which makes me wonder if I should do this at all but...

Mike Jones (first off, thanks for the reply and keep in mind that if that was Jeff's wording that I was not insulting you or that we have bad blood in any way), I'm going to make a Product Suggestion for the 22-fret version and 2nd F-Hole placement in a bit so we can add to how many people want this. Stay tuned guys because the JB one was very disappointing so prove me wrong when I post it.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 am

spudmunkey wrote:
morph wrote:Speaking of prices, it seems the current policy is that we get no price break if we request a less costly wood (i.e., plain maple or swamp ash instead of flame maple for the top). This seems to make no sense, as everything about the build would be the same, except that they use a cheaper material. Am I wrong about this? Has this ever been explained?

It hasn't since the SH550 was launched in 2010-ish with only a flamed maple top base model. Like the K-series, it's just that it's treated as a sort of "cadillac" model, and they don't want to sell a Cadillac with steel wheels.

I'm not defending it, just explaining the rationale the way I understood it. It took something like 5 years before the SH550CE was offered with a ceder top, which could finally be painted with solid finishes at a discount. They will do a K series in a solid paint, but I believe there's no discount.

Yes, this started with the SH550/SH575 models. I ordered one of the first SH575s built, and was told no on a plain maple or mahogany top for that particular model as it was considered a flagship. Being a larger guitar, I really didn't want a giant BBQ flame top. I wanted the guitar enough to buy it anyway. It was very, very late (I didn't care about that) but when I took it out of the case I saw that it had a top that was a maybe single-A on its very best day. It was a great guitar but I packed it up and sent it back out of principle, not because the top was almost unfigured, but because I had to pay for a highly figured top and didn't get one. The 500 and 575 were the only unique configurations at the time that required a minimum trim level and stayed that way for a long time before more were introduced.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Mike Jones
Kiesel Guitars Sales
Kiesel Guitars Sales

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am

Dometalican wrote:...I'm going to make a Product Suggestion for the 22-fret version and 2nd F-Hole placement in a bit so we can add to how many people want this...

That's a nice idea, however if anyone is ACTUALLY INTERESTED please EMAIL ME instead.
I'm collecting a list to give to Jeff.

(Jeff doesn't look at the Product Suggestion page - The JB100 did not come from people requesting it there - it came from Jeff talking with the Becker family.)

mangdrew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!! -MOD EDIT- SEE P. 3 FOR UPDATED PRICING.

Postby mangdrew » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 am

Whoa, why wouldn't he look at product suggestions from the die hards on this forum??

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: OMG OMG OMG!! New SH6 Semi Hollow CT!!!!!! SQUEE!!! -MOD EDIT- SEE P. 3 FOR UPDATED PRICING.

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 am

mangdrew wrote:Whoa, why wouldn't he look at product suggestions from the die hards on this forum??

If I remember right, that's kinda always been the case, even with Mark. With Mark, it was said that the best way to show you were serious was to write a letter. To them, it had to be more about the people willing to go the extra mile to make a real contact showing intent. Posting a "Yes!", clicking a like, or voting in an online poll on a forum doesn't show enough of a commitment.

That said, I imagine when things get big enough to get Kevio, Mike, Chris's etc etc attention, they bring it up to the powers that be...but also, chances are of it's big enough here, it's also big on SS.org, Facebook, Instagram, etc (the Vader forearm carve and zero fret, for example).

This model was suggested several times here over the years. When did it happen? When people called up and said, "Here's money...now will you do it?" Apparently it's been available to order for a month or two to folks serious enough to make it happen by picking up the phone and giving real money.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:26 am

I just remembered I already have one of these (I've got way too many guitars), and in a 22-fret version. It's called a Schecter CSH-1.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 pm

I am a dyed in the wool 22 fret CT guy. I am also not really in the market for a hollow body CT, but think its a cool option, and this is a good idea not made great (by my own 22 fret standards). FWIW I was not in the market for a CT way back when. 7 (or 8? - 8, its 8 now, my website is there to refresh my memory) CTs later ...
But I also think the JB100 is a good idea not made great for lack of options (I forget whether that has a 22 fret option). I love the contoured body - wish they'd redo the Bolt that way, with the neck joint, but keep the pickguard (allows for Hss or SSS or TBH-ss combos relatively easy).
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm going back and forth. I still love the model and it's still on my list...but if it were $250 for the plain maple top (like how it is on the SH550), I think I'd be on the phone....and that $250 would be going back into it for the Piezo anyway.

I still think it's going to be stunning, and better looking than the PRS (as I've always liked the CT better than the PRS to begin with).

NickCormier
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby NickCormier » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 pm

It's unfortunate, a year ago this was basically my dream guitar, but now I dunno.. I dunno if I want to spend that much money on a wood guitar. I'm all about the graphite/carbon guitars now, and Richlite fretboards to never have fret sprout/adjustment issues.. Also, I'm not really digging my CT7 (its good, just not what I want anymore, I dunno why I thought floyds were a good idea) but eh. Maybe in the future, who knows. A CT7 hollow with hipshot trem would be nice, but after I add the mandatory 5-piece neck, stainless frets, hipshot trem, color, it'd be pushing $2600++ or more most likely.

Also, the loss of the actual good CT headstock for 7 strings really hurts IMO.. If it was already programmed in before, I dunno why it had to be deleted last year. Now the options are pretty blah.
I'd appreciate anyone to check out my website: www.NickCormier.com
For all lessons and gear needs, check out www.stringedtheory.com

CMGio
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby CMGio » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Mike Jones wrote:The other thing I hope I'll be able to clear up is that Jeff misquoted the price for these models when he announced them.

SH6S $1899
SH6X $1999

SH7S $1949
SH7X $2049

For all of you that are serious about wanting a 22 fret version and want to purchase one, send me an e-mail with your name and info.
I'll put a list together and present it to Jeff to consider.
If he sees that there is in fact a serious demand for a 22 fret version perhaps we'll be able to get him to revisit the design.

Mike, I apologize if this has been asked already, but will this model be available with the 13-pin MIDI option add-on?
Arsenal:
2011 DC131C
2012 TL60C
1988 DC125R
2013 CS424
2014 DC600C

Note: Repeated head trauma has potentially damaged this user's credibility.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 am

NickCormier wrote:It's unfortunate, a year ago this was basically my dream guitar, but now I dunno.. I dunno if I want to spend that much money on a wood guitar. I'm all about the graphite/carbon guitars now, and Richlite fretboards to never have fret sprout/adjustment issues.. Also, I'm not really digging my CT7 (its good, just not what I want anymore, I dunno why I thought floyds were a good idea) but eh. Maybe in the future, who knows. A CT7 hollow with hipshot trem would be nice, but after I add the mandatory 5-piece neck, stainless frets, hipshot trem, color, it'd be pushing $2600++ or more most likely.

Also, the loss of the actual good CT headstock for 7 strings really hurts IMO.. If it was already programmed in before, I dunno why it had to be deleted last year. Now the options are pretty blah.

You want to play a unique species of non wood guitar, try one of the old original Kramers with the aluminum necks and the ebonol boards. Impervious to temp changes, usually loaded with the classic Dimarzio PAF/SD, and they howl like wounded canines.

Only problem is the one that Ace Frehley suffered under when touring with his Travis Bean back in the mid-70's when Kiss was exploding: you take one of those aluminum necks on tour through the northern climes of the US, Canada, and Europe, and try to play on an ice cold metal neck. Not pleasant.

Thus is was Hello Les Paul Deluxe for Ace on the permanent.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 03, 2017 9:51 am

18268432_1185293128259185_3518367955066595965_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm

That abalone looks like it's light-up!

Screenshot_20170503-155619.png

Screenshot_20170503-155554.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Click for slightly larger:
18268432_1185293128259185_3518367955066595965_n.jpg

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu May 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Dometalican wrote:Considering my product suggestion of a cheaper JB had no replies from the people complaining about the ST300's disappearance which makes me wonder if I should do this at all but...

Mike Jones (first off, thanks for the reply and keep in mind that if that was Jeff's wording that I was not insulting you or that we have bad blood in any way), I'm going to make a Product Suggestion for the 22-fret version and 2nd F-Hole placement in a bit so we can add to how many people want this. Stay tuned guys because the JB one was very disappointing so prove me wrong when I post it.

I was singing along with the chorus in that ST300 discontinuation, and I am STILL pissed about the discontinuation of the Active electronics on the JB200/DC127 models. Had I known they were going to be offed I would've bought a JB200SC instead of my V220.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu May 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Mike Jones wrote:
Dometalican wrote:...I'm going to make a Product Suggestion for the 22-fret version and 2nd F-Hole placement in a bit so we can add to how many people want this...

That's a nice idea, however if anyone is ACTUALLY INTERESTED please EMAIL ME instead.
I'm collecting a list to give to Jeff.

(Jeff doesn't look at the Product Suggestion page - The JB100 did not come from people requesting it there - it came from Jeff talking with the Becker family.)

Maybe Jeff should maybe START looking at the product suggestion page at least. I mean why even have it if no one is looking at it or no one is telling Jeff about it? That just says Jeff is acting like Ibanez; Ignore the fans input and do whatever they want (That's something I absolutely HATE about Ibanez btw).

Instead of blathering on on Facebook about certain things, he could address some of the suggestions presented in the Product Suggestions forum.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer: