HH7

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3900
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

HH7

Postby arahobob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Looks like a seven string HH is on the horizon.
Previewed on Jeffs live feed.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1377
Joined: May 2013
Location: Close to the edge

Re: HH7

Postby colossal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 pm

I saw that. Super stoked!

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15674
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: HH7

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Wow...I wonder if there's an HH8, too. :) He did borrow an 8-string, after all. :stir:

User avatar
Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2374
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Re: HH7

Postby Koshchei » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Condolences to Jeff too... he was as good a sport as he could be, but you can see how devastated he was by Allan's death.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3900
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: HH7

Postby arahobob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Koshchei wrote:Condolences to Jeff too... he was as good a sport as he could be, but you can see how devastated he was by Allan's death.


It seemed very hard for him.
It was tough to watch tbh. I tuned in few a bit, said my condolences, and that was it.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 986
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Building S4, Groom Lake Facility
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby Tabare777 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm

This will be my next guitar, my way to honour Allan, my biggest influence and reason for playing.

I really feel for Jeff, Mark and Allan's family, a devastating loss.
I wish I had known him, it would've been a privilege that I know all these people will treasure for life!

To own a 7 string version of the HH would be awesome, especially if they have the Holdsworth pickups in 7
I'm sure a lot of the 7 stringers would love the Holdsworth pickups for options on other 7s as well...
Last edited by Tabare777 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

User avatar
ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 576
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Iqaluit, NU

Re: HH7

Postby ilyti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:35 pm

I really hope this means they will do a 7 string version of the Holdsworth pickups. With the 6 string non-multiscale guitars there's so many pickup options that I don't care what's standard, but with 7 it's Lithiums or C26s only (I doubt A70s will be available on this.)Neither of them are exactly low output. It would be completely essential to this model and a welcome addition as an option to they entire 7 string range.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15674
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: HH7

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Are the D26 still available? it's at least one more option.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3900
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: HH7

Postby arahobob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Are the D26 still available? it's at least one more option.


D26 and c26 are the same thing.
I can't remember which is the current name!

I'd have to check my v7 sheet.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 986
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Building S4, Groom Lake Facility
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby Tabare777 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Are the D26 still available? it's at least one more option.


They're the same as C26...
I think Arahobob went with those for his V7...
Image
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3900
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: HH7

Postby arahobob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 am

Tabare777 wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Are the D26 still available? it's at least one more option.


They're the same as C26...
I think Arahobob went with those for his V7...


Correct. I checked.
C26 was the first model, then it became the D26.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2331
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby wickid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

arahobob wrote:
Tabare777 wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Are the D26 still available? it's at least one more option.


They're the same as C26...
I think Arahobob went with those for his V7...


Correct. I checked.
C26 was the first model, then it became the D26.


Yeah, I think the D-version was for a more standard spacing. :idea:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2374
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Re: HH7

Postby Koshchei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am

The D-26 is a C-26, but in a standard humbucker size. Carvin's pickups used to be a fair bit smaller than industry standard, which meant routing if you wanted to replace them. I think they changed to the industry standard shape some time around 2009 or 2010.

People like to wax nostalgic about how Carvin used to bend over backwards to help people and stuff, but they're misremembering; Carvin was very much just an options-shop until around 2012. Option 50s were super-secret and refused regularly, control layouts, woods, and pickups were from what was available, no exceptions, and exotic tops like redwood were absolutely forbidden. I'm not saying that Carvin was a bad company (they are still objectively amazing compared to other mid-size to large manufacturers), but compared to what Kiesel does now, Carvin was incredibly limited and inflexible. When people start whining about how Jeff won't give them this or that, or only favours certain things, I remember the old days and chuckle.

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4546
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

spudmunkey wrote:Wow...I wonder if there's an HH8, too. :) He did borrow an 8-string, after all. :stir:


And Jeff did mention that Allan was having this 7 stringer build specifically for the fans who want it, but that he did not gel with the whole 7 string deal.

8 strings he appreciated, but 7 was something that had no interest for him.

Problem for me is I'm just not a very big fan of distorted bass. Every here and there as a delicacy, but not an everyday ongoing thing. And that, for me, is the primary issue with ERG, in that bass notes would be muddied up and distorted but for those songs played entirely clean.. this on top of the fact that I'm not crazy about the tone and timbre of ERG bass strings, even when clean, owing to the too-slinky scale length. A bass string needs at least 30" i.m.humble.0.

Not to mention I really enjoy the interplay between the contrast of a clean bass against a fuzzed guitar.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2331
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby wickid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

Koshchei wrote:...
People like to wax nostalgic about how Carvin used to bend over backwards to help people and stuff, but they're misremembering; Carvin was very much just an options-shop until around 2012. Option 50s were super-secret and refused regularly, control layouts, woods, and pickups were from what was available, no exceptions, and exotic tops like redwood were absolutely forbidden. I'm not saying that Carvin was a bad company (they are still objectively amazing compared to other mid-size to large manufacturers), but compared to what Kiesel does now, Carvin was incredibly limited and inflexible. When people start whining about how Jeff won't give them this or that, or only favours certain things, I remember the old days and chuckle.


:lol:
Yeah, (going WAY back) you can have any color you like ... as long as its black, or clear(*) ... and now red, or white ... now blue...
You want a black logo on that? No, we only do white on that, sorry.
(*) But they did have deep rich brown Koa!!
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2374
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Re: HH7

Postby Koshchei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 am

Doctor Turn wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Wow...I wonder if there's an HH8, too. :) He did borrow an 8-string, after all. :stir:


And Jeff did mention that Allan was having this 7 stringer build specifically for the fans who want it, but that he did not gel with the whole 7 string deal.

8 strings he appreciated, but 7 was something that had no interest for him.

Problem for me is I'm just not a very big fan of distorted bass. Every here and there as a delicacy, but not an everyday ongoing thing. And that, for me, is the primary issue with ERG, in that bass notes would be muddied up and distorted but for those songs played entirely clean.. this on top of the fact that I'm not crazy about the tone and timbre of ERG bass strings, even when clean, owing to the too-slinky scale length. A bass string needs at least 30" i.m.humble.0.

Not to mention I really enjoy the interplay between the contrast of a clean bass against a fuzzed guitar.


Dude, it's a timbre. Just because you have a low F# doesn't mean you need to use it at every available opportunity. Like a bass player taking a solo, or a keyboardist playing a bass line, it has a very specific voice that adds richness and colour to the musical tapestry in a small ensemble when used tastefully.

If you have two band members playing over top of one another, that's an arrangement issue; it has nothing to do with the presence of an ERG in your band.

Check out Axon-Neuron's Metamorphosis album for an example; everything is beautifully rendered, even with two guitarists (one of whom plays a 9 string), a keyboardist, a bassist, and an orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwoZwD ... tm&index=3

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4546
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 am

Koshchei wrote:Dude, it's a timbre. Just because you have a low F# doesn't mean you need to use it at every available opportunity. Like a bass player taking a solo, or a keyboardist playing a bass line, it has a very specific voice that adds richness and colour to the musical tapestry in a small ensemble when used tastefully.

If you have two band members playing over top of one another, that's an arrangement issue; it has nothing to do with the presence of an ERG in your band.

Check out Axon-Neuron's Metamorphosis album for an example; everything is beautifully rendered, even with two guitarists (one of whom plays a 9 string), a keyboardist, a bassist, and an orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwoZwD ... tm&index=3


"Dude, it's a timbre."?? I keep trying to wrap my head around what and why you mean when you say that. I'm thinking it's because I said I don't like the tone and timbre of ERG low strings on the too-short scale of electric guitars? My point is it's a timbre I don't enjoy hearing. Yes, it's a timbre out of an infinitude of timbres in the sonic universe, but these are some of the timbres that fall into the category of ones I Don't Like.

Like even the Axon clip. I watched the whole thing, I found the piece fine enough (it was a little precious but that's no big deal) but when the eight kicked in with the guitar and bass the whole low mid section of the song turned muddy to me and lost a little bit of the nice aggressive skipping pace it started to build up into.

I just don't think they sound good. Believe me, my opinion counts for very little--almost nothing, but for that I'm alive and post the same nonsense we all do. I try to approach them with the intellectualism of a curious and progressive mindset, but my gut justs hates the sound of them.I think we've settled on a narrow parameter of scale length for guitars because we've discovered that they're universally functional and pleasing to the ear with a singing, powerful character within those boundaries when using strings of certain sizes. Going multiscale to push in another inch or two of scale for strings that typically exist on necks many inches longer on their proper instrument, it just sounds cheesy to me.

And if I'm only going to use them in in a light sprinkling here or there, then I'll not use it at all, and leave that terrain to the authenticity of the instrument that can deliver them in a more pleasing fashion. I understand and appreciate the adventure and discovery involved in ERG's. But it's not for me.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2374
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Re: HH7

Postby Koshchei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 pm

All I meant was: You're welcome to not like the sound, but please don't discount its usefulness in a musical context based on some arbitrarily decided scale length. It works well even if it isn't your cup of tea.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3900
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: HH7

Postby arahobob » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:44 am

Koshchei wrote:The D-26 is a C-26, but in a standard humbucker size. Carvin's pickups used to be a fair bit smaller than industry standard, which meant routing if you wanted to replace them. I think they changed to the industry standard shape some time around 2009 or 2010.

People like to wax nostalgic about how Carvin used to bend over backwards to help people and stuff, but they're misremembering; Carvin was very much just an options-shop until around 2012. Option 50s were super-secret and refused regularly, control layouts, woods, and pickups were from what was available, no exceptions, and exotic tops like redwood were absolutely forbidden. I'm not saying that Carvin was a bad company (they are still objectively amazing compared to other mid-size to large manufacturers), but compared to what Kiesel does now, Carvin was incredibly limited and inflexible. When people start whining about how Jeff won't give them this or that, or only favours certain things, I remember the old days and chuckle.


I remember those days.
An excellent statement.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 986
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Building S4, Groom Lake Facility
Links/Contact:

Re: HH7

Postby Tabare777 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:05 am

arahobob wrote:
Koshchei wrote:The D-26 is a C-26, but in a standard humbucker size. Carvin's pickups used to be a fair bit smaller than industry standard, which meant routing if you wanted to replace them. I think they changed to the industry standard shape some time around 2009 or 2010.

People like to wax nostalgic about how Carvin used to bend over backwards to help people and stuff, but they're misremembering; Carvin was very much just an options-shop until around 2012. Option 50s were super-secret and refused regularly, control layouts, woods, and pickups were from what was available, no exceptions, and exotic tops like redwood were absolutely forbidden. I'm not saying that Carvin was a bad company (they are still objectively amazing compared to other mid-size to large manufacturers), but compared to what Kiesel does now, Carvin was incredibly limited and inflexible. When people start whining about how Jeff won't give them this or that, or only favours certain things, I remember the old days and chuckle.


I remember those days.
An excellent statement.


I was about to say the same, my tastes aren't too adventurous now that the VM8 exists,
but I remember guys getting flat-out refused on requests back then so we've come a long way and it looks to be the trend so cheers to that :twisted:
Image
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests