HH7

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: HH7

Postby Koshchei » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:02 am

Right with you both.

The VM8 is pretty much the extent of my musical adventurousness; it's literally the sum total of everything I've ever wanted in a guitar: The usable range of a piano in a semi-acoustic light-weight ergnomic format. This is *my* Stradivarius.

Back to the topic of the HH7: Unsurprisingly, I was beyond-appalled by the comments of some of the ss.org cretins, particularly after seeing how torn up Jeff was by Allan's death. I get that this was an attempt to offer something for the ERG Holdsworth nerds (of whom I proudly number myself among) despite Allan's dislike of 7 strings, but it was something that Allan was aware of, and right onboard with. Had it been released a few years ago, it might have helped the under-appreciated genius with his financial burdens.

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Koshchei wrote:The D-26 is a C-26, but in a standard humbucker size. Carvin's pickups used to be a fair bit smaller than industry standard, which meant routing if you wanted to replace them. I think they changed to the industry standard shape some time around 2009 or 2010.

It would have to be after 2011. I got my DC727 in July of 2011 with the C26 and same old original route.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 pm

It stand corrected then... for some reason, it felt like longer ago.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Koshchei wrote:Right with you both.

The VM8 is pretty much the extent of my musical adventurousness; it's literally the sum total of everything I've ever wanted in a guitar: The usable range of a piano in a semi-acoustic light-weight ergnomic format. This is *my* Stradivarius.

Back to the topic of the HH7: Unsurprisingly, I was beyond-appalled by the comments of some of the ss.org cretins, particularly after seeing how torn up Jeff was by Allan's death. I get that this was an attempt to offer something for the ERG Holdsworth nerds (of whom I proudly number myself among) despite Allan's dislike of 7 strings, but it was something that Allan was aware of, and right onboard with. Had it been released a few years ago, it might have helped the under-appreciated genius with his financial burdens.

What were they saying? Lemme guess (because I can see this kind of idiocy so easily)-- "Jeff is doing this to capitalize on Allan's death."? Which would be about as sickening a comment as is humanly possible. But I could totally see the haters over there saying that.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:00 pm

That and more.

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:01 pm

I haven't been on there for two years exactly because of this very behaviour,
A mob of idiots fuelling each other's misinformed and purile views with wanton ignorance.

I went on there looking for the comments and didn't find them but did find lots of Kiesel bashing in general,
No wonder I stopped going there...
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:12 am

Found the thread with those lame Jeff bashing comments in case anyone wants to vomit a little in their mouths:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showth ... 32&page=33

Now I'll be the first to say that there have been quite a few things that have bothered me about the way Jeff promotes certain things, but the dude is a stand up guy, and at least he puts himself out there to be questioned and to discuss various things. How many big guitar makers' VPs do that? I respect Jeff a lot and while there are things I may not be into, I am the happiest when I am playing my Carvin/Kiesel guitars. I have no serious complaints about either of my babies.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 am

They're a bunch of d&@#s on that thread. Nothing else to be said. Jeff's personality may not be for everyone... his specific models ditto... I've been guilty of ticking off both those boxes off, but his skills as a luthier are as excellent as they come. He's a highly skilled luthier and he's second to very few if any out there today.

People get with brands--guitars, amps, even effects and trem systems (hell, especially trem systems)--the way they do with football teams. I find it annoying. People who are into film do the same thing with home video labels ("Kino International is effing CRAP, yo--they're BOGUS compared to the Criterion Collection, people. Let's get with it folks and face facts, huh!?")

I totally GET talking UP your favorite/one of your favorite brands. I do it, we all do it. A critique of a move or a model, even a general practice.. sure we all do it (the practice viz the old models and all the pickups/history sitting uncelebrated, irk me to no end). But this obsessive slamming of a brand as a monthly chore to tick off your to do list is completely bizarre. They push out dozens of beautiful, absolute stunner guitars every single week of the year, some of them quite imaginative and with some of the most interesting and attractive woods/combos/finishes in the business. In terms of flamed maple alone, what blows minds in the Gibson CS on R8-0's is a total yawn on even your average JB200.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Really well said! :)

I'm not a fan of everything Kiesel does -- I generally like Jeff and the direction he's taken the company, but I find his super-extroverted-mattress-salesman schtick a bit over the top sometimes. Similarly, I absolutely despise the look of the Aries. That said, I look at these things in isolation. Just because I don't agree with everything Jeff does doesn't detract from the fact that he's a really great guy who stands by his friends and family. As well, just because I don't like the Aries doesn't mean that I've written off all the other models. I love the FG1 (with f-holes) and the Vader is musical heaven to me.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Koshchei wrote:Really well said! :)

I'm not a fan of everything Kiesel does -- I generally like Jeff and the direction he's taken the company, but I find his super-extroverted-mattress-salesman schtick a bit over the top sometimes. Similarly, I absolutely despise the look of the Aries. That said, I look at these things in isolation. Just because I don't agree with everything Jeff does doesn't detract from the fact that he's a really great guy who stands by his friends and family. As well, just because I don't like the Aries doesn't mean that I've written off all the other models. I love the FG1 (with f-holes) and the Vader is musical heaven to me.

See, THIS is what being an objective fan of something really means. I hate the Aries too, along with just about every new model that has come out, and the discontinuation of the active electronics for guitars drove a nail into my heart.

That said, I did buy a V220 just before all that hit the fan, and it's such a wonderful guitar. There's something about the neck profile on my JB200 that I like more than the V220, but for the price, the V220 is my "look guys, I outdid ESP for a quarter of the price!" :lol:
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm

18699774_1201839543271210_3908387022979351396_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

BigViolin

Postby BigViolin » Mon May 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Whoa!!

That's so clean with the naked board.

Want.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 pm

That's pretty cool looking, no doubt!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 23, 2017 1:39 am

And, they are 7-string versions of the Holdsworth pickups.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Tue May 23, 2017 4:46 am

Awesome!

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 am

That sure is awesome! 8)

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue May 23, 2017 2:05 pm

spudmunkey wrote:And, they are 7-string versions of the Holdsworth pickups.

No foolin???????
Current Carvins:
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Yep, check out my last post in the Social Media thread.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:27 pm

I was flipping through the online Guitars catalog could not find the HH7 in the AH Signature Guitar section. I wonder if this model is quietly going away?

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:15 pm

colossal wrote:I was flipping through the online Guitars catalog could not find the HH7 in the AH Signature Guitar section. I wonder if this model is quietly going away?

I read somewhere that is the case.
No more hh7.

My guess is zero sales.
Current Carvins:
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars