Statement on Closure of Carvin Audio/Amplifiers

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Statement on Closure of Carvin Audio/Amplifiers

Postby dejabluguitar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am

In part maybe because the name Carvin is not highly reguarded by most everyday musicians.
We know the guitars were good.
My guitar cab is solid.
my 90s pa cabs are decent.

But 2 mixers I had both went wonky.

So say the least the split and now CA s closing has been confusing to the gear buying public.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 am

spudmunkey wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:
Brock wrote:Can somebody clear up a little bit of confusion? What does Jeff mean when he says the Carvin Guitars brand has not been retired?

I can't get a "Carvin" guitar. For example, the CS6 was designed under Carvin. It's now being built by "Kiesel" Am I missing something? I'm so confused. What does he mean when the Carvin Guitar name will not be retired when I can no longer get a guitar branded Carvin?

He's saying two things at once again. He says he keeps it real, but he says two things at once and that doesn't make any darn sense.

They still use Carvin Guitars as a brand. Granted, just on a couple models, but it doesn't seem "sketchy" or "purposefully confusing" to me. The CS6 was branded as Kiesel at least a year ago. It doesn't matter the name of the company when it was designed. They still have the Bolt, JB200C and PB (and maybe JB?) basses branded as Carvin.

Now that you mention it I do see the Bolt and JB200 are Carvin branded. Thanks for pointing it out...sometimes my thick head misses the obvious. :mrgreen:

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Sad news indeed :(

metalgarth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby metalgarth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:44 pm

spudmunkey wrote:According to Tone King, Carvin closed their San Diego Factory, but Carson Kiesel's children are going to continue on with pedals, like their Legacy preamp pedal.

What they need to make is a pedal version of the Quad X, built like a Boss GT-100, using 2 tubes and a simpler feature set with built in digital effects with midi control, kind of like a Tone Navigator done right.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 pm

MatiasTolkki wrote:The Vai question is a good one. I think he'll still use his legacies since he has mentioned that with the release of his last album, and the anniversary album, that he's going to slow down his touring schedule. If he's going to slow touring, it means that he won't want a new endorsement deal and he's going to head into at least semi-retirement.

FWIW, I've heard rumors that Vai still uses his Bogner Ecstasy 100Bs in the studio (he endorsed Bogner before switching to Carvin). Wouldn't surprise me to see him go back to using them live.

gotlivin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gotlivin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 am

:x Not happy!! I did not like the split in the first place and now this!! BUMMER!!

Kevio
Forum Admin & Kiesel Guitars Webmaster
Links/Contact:

Postby Kevio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am

If you didn't see Jeff's Facebook Live yesterday on the closure, I've posted it here:

https://www.kieselguitars.com/blog/stat ... mplifiers/
The gear:
DC6, HH2X, V440, CT6T, V220C, IC4, IC5P, BB70P, XB75, AC40, LB70K, LB70, LB70, LB70F, XB76WPF, SB40, MB1, DN640K, DN440T, AC375

Tony PD

Postby Tony PD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 am

They had a very unique niche in the market: Made (or at least assembled) in the USA and AFFORDABLE.
I don't think anyone else is even comparable.

Were they losing money?
Could they not compete anymore?
Couldn't they just raise their prices to turn a profit?

I noticed something weird on their website the last few times I visited.
Several amps were out of stock, even though they were the manufacturer.
I thought they were just waiting on parts, but I certainly didn't expect this.

Very sad news after 70 years. I'm still in shock.
Last edited by Tony PD on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm

The still using the Carvin logo on guitars designed by Carvin is BS. I know because they won`t do a Carvin logo on a DC127, Ultra V, V220 and the like and they were designed under Carvin. Jeff double speaks for sure. He wants to get rid of the Carvin name so bad it hurts him to even see it I feel. It`s a shame. Nothing wrong with putting the Carvin logo on the old guitars designed by Carvin. I`d rather have that name on my builds anyways. Jeff needs to stop the double speak.

I never liked the split and this is sad that Carvin audio is gone.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm

slayer wrote:The still using the Carvin logo on guitars designed by Carvin is BS. I know because they won`t do a Carvin logo on a DC127, Ultra V, V220 and the like and they were designed under Carvin. Jeff double speaks for sure. He wants to get rid of the Carvin name so bad it hurts him to even see it I feel. It`s a shame. Nothing wrong with putting the Carvin logo on the old guitars designed by Carvin. I`d rather have that name on my builds anyways. Jeff needs to stop the double speak.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know, but try looking at it this way: While you'd rather have the familiar name on the headstock, changing the name to Kiesel finally honors the actual man who designed the guitars and ran the part of the company you love so much. Mark Kiesel's been running the guitar division since the 1970s, and the Carvin company name was derived from his two brothers' names, who both wanted to shut down the guitar division (CARson and gaVIN Kiesel). When I came to that way of thinking about it, keeping the "Carvin" name seemed more like a compromise. Like...if my brother founded a company and I ran half of it that he wasn't involved in, and then we split (even for the best of reasons like we got super successful and it made sense to be two seperate companies), it would be weird for me to call my company "My Brother's Company".

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 pm

slayer wrote:The still using the Carvin logo on guitars designed by Carvin is BS. I know because they won`t do a Carvin logo on a DC127, Ultra V, V220 and the like and they were designed under Carvin. Jeff double speaks for sure. He wants to get rid of the Carvin name so bad it hurts him to even see it I feel. It`s a shame. Nothing wrong with putting the Carvin logo on the old guitars designed by Carvin. I`d rather have that name on my builds anyways. Jeff needs to stop the double speak.

I never liked the split and this is sad that Carvin audio is gone.

I don't think they have a choice--I seriously don't think they can due to the split. Notwithstanding continuing to use the name would create the impression of a connection with a company which is now sunk, which they are straining to avoid like the plague.

Nothing bites success in the ass more than failure. And with the state of the playing field the way it is now, despite my love for the old Carvin, I can't say I blame them for wanting to make the separation clear.

It's not hard for me because (I know I've said this before so to some I'll come off as a broken record) I felt I lost the old Carvin when everything went so severely away from set neck, and over into neck thru. I think neck thru is fabulous for bass, but not something that gets me going on guitars.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm bummed about Carvin Audio closing. I've proudly used Carvin PA, guitar amp, and bass amp equipment since the early 90's. I got good clean sound and reliable performance for a reasonable price. I used to drool over the catalogs in high school. I'd daydream and play the 'if I had all the money in the world, what PA system would I buy?" game. Funny, the answer always involved a massive wall of speakers with like 10k watts of power. :D

I've also proudly played Carvin guitars and basses for years. I still have the very first guitar I bought from them: an '86 DC200. I love that guitar along with the 13 others I've gotten from Carvin/Kiesel since then.

Bottom line, I'll always feel a connection with the Carvin brand name. It hurts a little each time a piece of Carvin is discontinued.

But I recognize that life moves on. I'm not upset with Mark or Jeff for where they've taken the company. I truly like the new models, features, and options. That's why I keep ordering them. It's not like I *need* another guitar, I just *want* another one. :wink:

So let's raise a glass to all things Carvin/Kiesel; old and new. May the guitar gods shine down upon Jeff and Mark. May Kiesel Guitars continue for a long time. May we all cherish the equipment we're blessed to have.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am

amispy wrote:So let's raise a glass to all things Carvin/Kiesel; old and new. May the guitar gods shine down upon Jeff and Mark. May Kiesel Guitars continue for a long time. May we all cherish the equipment we're blessed to have.

I'll drink to that. It's a shame because as you can see from my sig, I wanted to own a V3 and BX1500 but I guess I'm not getting either one. Bummer. Who knows? Maybe Carson and Gavin will realize Mark and Jeff were right, beg to return to their dual partnership (at a different building of course) under Kiesel Amps and PAs and come back stronger with endorsements and YouTube recognition. IDK. I'm only dreaming. lol.

Now to look for a bass amp similar to the BX1500/B1000/B2000 and a 3/4-channel tube guitar amp that isn't Marshall (not my taste) and doesn't cost my body to science...
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

Kevio
Links/Contact:

Postby Kevio » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 am

Dometalican wrote:I'll drink to that. It's a shame because as you can see from my sig, I wanted to own a V3 and BX1500 but I guess I'm not getting either one. Bummer. Who knows? Maybe Carson and Gavin will realize Mark and Jeff were right, beg to return to their dual partnership (at a different building of course) under Kiesel Amps and PAs and come back stronger with endorsements and YouTube recognition. IDK. I'm only dreaming. lol.

Gavin is actually not with us anymore - he passed away back in 1989. Jon Kiesel, who was in charge or speakers/cabinets, retired when the company split.
The gear:
DC6, HH2X, V440, CT6T, V220C, IC4, IC5P, BB70P, XB75, AC40, LB70K, LB70, LB70, LB70F, XB76WPF, SB40, MB1, DN640K, DN440T, AC375

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:16 am

Kevio wrote:
Kevio wrote:
Dometalican wrote:I'll drink to that. It's a shame because as you can see from my sig, I wanted to own a V3 and BX1500 but I guess I'm not getting either one. Bummer. Who knows? Maybe Carson and Gavin will realize Mark and Jeff were right, beg to return to their dual partnership (at a different building of course) under Kiesel Amps and PAs and come back stronger with endorsements and YouTube recognition. IDK. I'm only dreaming. lol.

Gavin is actually not with us anymore - he passed away back in 1989. Jon Kiesel, who was in charge or speakers/cabinets, retired when the company split.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.....nevermind........

So I guess here's hoping their kids (whom are making the pedals/systems still) would make a deal? lol. Still dreaming.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

KH
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby KH » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:48 am

I am and always will be a fan of the Carvin era. Good luck and God speed to the audio side in their new endeavors.
The name will never be forgotten.

Mycle812
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mycle812 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 am

I bought my first Carvin Guitar in 1979. A DC-150 that I still play today.
In all of those years I bought a lot of Carvin Guitars, Basses, Guitar Amps, Bass Amps, An entire P.A., Mics, and just about anything else they offered. Quality and reliability were the prime reasons, Price was another.

I didn't care for the split but can see how it may have been necessary to survive.

I hope Kiesel guitars does well but they are not my guitars anymore. I know time marches on but the new models are just not as appealing to me. I would love to own an SH-6, but I'm not a big fan of the "Kiesel" brand.
So I guess until something changes, I will just have to enjoy the piles of Carvin equipment I already own.

Adios Carvin. Many years of good fortune Kiesel.
Live long and prosper.

Nombrecomun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nombrecomun » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 pm

All I've ever known of the company has been the amps. I own an X100B(need to bring it back from the dead) and a V3. Just last week I went to Kiesel and played some of their more newer models. Of course they are fantastic and I'm glad that side of the business was able to take some old, and frankly outdated, models and turn the business around.

We can all speculate as to what happened. Different visions, different work cultures, etc...I do know that you can't sell and amp the way you sell a guitar in which practically of all of Carvin/Kielsels are these custom works. It's great to see a new colour, set up, etc...on the guitar side. You just don't have that same pizzazz with equipment, you know?

I also wonder how much they were banking on the Legacy pre-amp pedal from the sense of testing the market. Maybe it didn't do as well as they thought it would.

I was thinking of selling my V3. It's too heavy for me to lug around and I don't need 100w raw guitar power. Maybe I'll hang on to it for a while.

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Today I received another email from Carvin again advertising its “liquidation sale,” but Now it’s gone from 25% to 10% off... somewhat out of the ordinary for a “liquidation sale” don’t you think?

All the bass cabs are gone, so it’s a non-issue for me; just found the most recent advertisement a bit perplexing :)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Randy wrote:Today I received another email from Carvin again advertising its “liquidation sale,” but Now it’s gone from 25% to 10% off... somewhat out of the ordinary for a “liquidation sale” don’t you think?

All the bass cabs are gone, so it’s a non-issue for me; just found the most recent advertisement a bit perplexing :)

I thought the discounting % might drop again. At first I was going to hold off for a 30% or more before buying the V3M carry bag, but then I noticed that it *was* 25% off a while ago, and was then only 20% off last night. I jumped on it then last night (shipped today already...good on them). Now it's only 10% off. Must be running out of stuff quicker than they thought...but on anything electronic, saving 10% to not have a warranty doesn't seem worth it to me.

They do still have some of the "coca cola" logo badges. I was *this* close to picking one up, but it would have been well over $20, and I didn't have anything specific I'd want to put it on. https://carvinaudio.com/collections/rep ... s/85-00085

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars