First build help deciding model.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bward666

First build help deciding model.

Postby Bward666 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi everybody!

I’m considering my first build but I’m honestly not sure which model I want. I think it has come down to either an Aries 6 or an SCB 6. I guess my question is if I have the build options for each idenctical (thinking mahogany body, maple neck, walnut top, ebony board) what tonal differences would I be looking at?

Thanks!

ElfDude

Re: First build help deciding model.

Postby ElfDude » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Making your first order is an exciting process.

The differences between the two models you mention will mostly come down to the differences between bolt-neck guitars and neck-through guitars.

You don't need to worry about sustain. They'll both have it.

You'll find the dynamics a little different. The Aries will have a snappier attack while the SCB will be a little smoother.

Tonally, the Aries will be a little more harmonically complex while the SCB will be more focused on the the fundamental tones. To my ears this makes the Aries nicer for cleans and the SCB a little nicer for the really high gain stuff.

Your mileage may vary. :)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:30 pm

You can't really go wrong, but there are varying degrees of "right", and all of them ultimately depend on your aesthetic preference, the style of music you play, and what your musical priorities are.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:15 pm

The SCB6, unless you select another option, is also 25" scale while the Aries is a 25.5" scale. That will also contribute to the Aries' "snappiness", with a tiny bit more room in the higher frets.

Since the SCB doesn't have a long horn, it would naturally hang with the nut out a little further, with the bridge a little more "in front" of you...but not my much...and the Aries has a longer scale which would put the nut out slightly further, all things being equal, so the differences we're talking about here are very slight.

Aesthetically, the Aries can have a one-piece body without a top, and the SCB cannot. The SCB will have the visible neck-through if you don't get a top, which can be cool if you're into that (I am!) and MAAAAYBE even WITH a top, although I'm not 100% sure on that. Those differences may drive you to specify certain finishes differently on one than on the other...or not. :)

If there's one complaint you'll never hear about a Carvin or Kiesel, it's a lack of sustain, no matter the neck attachment method!

Welcome, and congrats!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm

spudmunkey wrote:If there's one complaint you'll never hear about a Carvin or Kiesel, it's a lack of sustain, no matter the neck attachment method!

Yowza! Do hear that consistently from people, or experience it on your guitars? My old double cut Carvin sustains really well--it's been the hallmark of the way the pickups interact with the hardware and the wood slabs chosen for the body since the very beginning!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:If there's one complaint you'll never hear about a Carvin or Kiesel, it's a lack of sustain, no matter the neck attachment method!

Yowza! Do hear that consistently from people, or experience it on your guitars?

No, that's why I said you'll *never* hear a complaint about it. :)

Unless my not-enough-sleep-too-much-work condition I find myself in currently contributed in some way to saying it wrong, I *meant* that people DON'T complain about their Carvins/Kiesel's not-sustaining well. :-p

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Jesus keriminny. I totally read that like a retard, I read it that you were saying the exact opposite, and that people claimed that was an issue.

(Hits own head with hammer)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Jesus keriminny. I totally read that like a retard, I read it that you were saying the exact opposite, and that people claimed that was an issue.

(Hits own head with hammer)

My brain also mentally deleted the *never* part on 1st read. And I don't know why??? (I mean, its THERE.) :? :shock:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 am

Really weird. My future as a proofreader is flushed down the toilet I guess...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am

Well, clearly if so many misunderstood, that means I worded it poorly. It's like the joke about the guy who goes into the doctor and says, "It hurts when I touch here (points to knee), here (points to temple) and here (points to hip)," to which the doctor replies, "It seems you've broken your finger."

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Or one of those Bill & Ted's "This is non, non, non, non, non, non-heinous!!" which means "This is heinous!"

The 'nons' mathematically cancel each other out.

Stevie F

Postby Stevie F » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:32 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/font]
spudmunkey wrote:The SCB6, unless you select another option, is also 25" scale while the Aries is a 25.5" scale. That will also contribute to the Aries' "snappiness", with a tiny bit more room in the higher frets.

Since the SCB doesn't have a long horn, it would naturally hang with the nut out a little further, with the bridge a little more "in front" of you...but not my much...and the Aries has a longer scale which would put the nut out slightly further, all things being equal, so the differences we're talking about here are very slight.

Aesthetically, the Aries can have a one-piece body without a top, and the SCB cannot. The SCB will have the visible neck-through if you don't get a top, which can be cool if you're into that (I am!) and MAAAAYBE even WITH a top, although I'm not 100% sure on that. Those differences may drive you to specify certain finishes differently on one than on the other...or not. :)

If there's one complaint you'll never hear about a Carvin or Kiesel, it's a lack of sustain, no matter the neck attachment method!

Welcome, and congrats!
Another consideration is temperature/ humidity I am to begin my 1st build if an SCB and we're I live the south east Asia, the weather yesterday 25 degs today 31degs and drops 4 degs at night.looking at the factory tour Jeff says the 5 piece neck is far more stable , and less prone to moving ,I would say a lot stronger a smart design but the choice of woods I think is cosmetic, as there has never been any history of walnut being used on instruments it's a nice wood heavy mainly used for furniture and the purple heart thing is again for looks. It would be very nice to hear the difference in wood combinations, I don't know what mine will sound like alder body, maple neck, 5 piece neck with black and white limba,royal ebony fret board what a menu! Hope it sounds as good as it will looks, so a 5 piece neck is a consideration and I don't know of any other builder offering this option,so for me it's an SCB6 GOOD LUCK all exciting stuff

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 am

Stevie F wrote:[font=Comic Sans MS][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/font]
spudmunkey wrote:The SCB6, unless you select another option, is also 25" scale while the Aries is a 25.5" scale. That will also contribute to the Aries' "snappiness", with a tiny bit more room in the higher frets.

Welcome, and congrats!
Another consideration is temperature/ humidity I am to begin my 1st build if an SCB and we're I live the south east Asia...

Where in SE Asia, if you don't mind my asking?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars