K-Series questions

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

K-Series questions

Postby Alienadin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi All,

I have been having a really hard time deciding on a model. First I want to get a TL60, before being discontinued, but since it would be very costly to get it with the new Kiesel/Hipshot trem, that fell through.

Then between DC600 and K-Series, as well as a CT624 or Crescent, or maybe even a GH24, but I think I am ready for a K-Series.

My QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Are there $100 in free options for the K-Series as well, or only for guitars available in the builder?

2. I want the 5MP - 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Purple Heart Stripes instead of the 7 pc neck, as I prefer a maple neck, and I don't like Mahogany, which would be part of the 7pc maple neck version. Do they do that, and would the price be decreased by the difference ($220) then?

That's it for now.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a video of me with my ST300, which I ordered a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujOVGr78MKc

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: K-Series questions

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 pm

The $100.00 discount has been happening constantly across models for many years. But as he says, "Call my guys" to be sure. Who knows what discounts might be happening before the end of the year, or not happening after the new year begins.

As for the 7 piece neck, I'm quite confident they would do a neck to meet your specifications when it comes to combinations of various woods that they have in stock with standard availability. If a pre-built blank is not on hand, the wait will be longer. If you heed his "Call my guys" admonition you will be sure.

"Call with credit card in hand" has been the BBS mantra for many years (ours, not his) - it's the surest way to a "yes" on a request. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:40 pm

In the past, if you ask for a "lower" (cheaper) than what it morally included in a model, they don't discount.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Alienadin wrote:Hi All,

I have been having a really hard time deciding on a model. First I want to get a TL60, before being discontinued, but since it would be very costly to get it with the new Kiesel/Hipshot trem, that fell through.

Then between DC600 and K-Series, as well as a CT624 or Crescent, or maybe even a GH24, but I think I am ready for a K-Series.

My QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Are there $100 in free options for the K-Series as well, or only for guitars available in the builder?

2. I want the 5MP - 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Purple Heart Stripes instead of the 7 pc neck, as I prefer a maple neck, and I don't like Mahogany, which would be part of the 7pc maple neck version. Do they do that, and would the price be decreased by the difference ($220) then?

That's it for now.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a video of me with my ST300, which I ordered a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujOVGr78MKc

The K-Series is a little bit different than the other guitars as far as building it goes: it's bespoke, and you work directly with Jeff to design it and execute it based on a set budget (which he will use every dollar of). Like a Rolls Royce, it's not something that you can nickel and dime, and Jeff is also quite picky about who he'll build one for (basically, if you rub him the wrong way, or you don't pony up your deposit when your number comes up on the reserve list, you can forget it).

A K-Series won't play any differently from your very pretty ST300 or a DC600 though, so it's not so much a question of "readiness" as much as it is a question of whether you're willing to pay used car money for Jeff to build you a beautiful and totally unique take on the DC600.

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:07 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:The $100.00 discount has been happening constantly across models for many years. But as he says, "Call my guys" to be sure. Who knows what discounts might be happening before the end of the year, or not happening after the new year begins.

As for the 7 piece neck, I'm quite confident they would do a neck to meet your specifications when it comes to combinations of various woods that they have in stock with standard availability. If a pre-built blank is not on hand, the wait will be longer. If you heed his "Call my guys" admonition you will be sure.

"Call with credit card in hand" has been the BBS mantra for many years (ours, not his) - it's the surest way to a "yes" on a request. :)

I think I have called to ask questions too many times already.
Keith told me that they no longer do necks not pre-built, which sucks.

Well, how can I call with credit card in hand, when I still have way too many questions to finalize my order. I don't want to be rushed.

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Koshchei wrote:The K-Series is a little bit different than the other guitars as far as building it goes: it's bespoke, and you work directly with Jeff to design it and execute it based on a set budget (which he will use every dollar of). Like a Rolls Royce, it's not something that you can nickel and dime, and Jeff is also quite picky about who he'll build one for (basically, if you rub him the wrong way, or you don't pony up your deposit when your number comes up on the reserve list, you can forget it).

A K-Series won't play any differently from your very pretty ST300 or a DC600 though, so it's not so much a question of "readiness" as much as it is a question of whether you're willing to pay used car money for Jeff to build you a beautiful and totally unique take on the DC600.

I think you are confusing it with the Kiesel Edition. This is the K-Series.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Alien,

Just a suggestion. Maybe two.

This is a great place to post questions.

The Kiesel boys do not mind answering a lot of questions. It's OK - call them.

Maybe if you want to start with your budget, it'll help you really close in on the guitar you want.

How can we help you?
CT6 Deep Blue Quilt, HH2 Claro, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, Master Grade Ziricote SH65, Aries A6X Flamed Redwood Top In The Oven!!!

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:Alien,

Just a suggestion. Maybe two.

This is a great place to post questions.

The Kiesel boys do not mind answering a lot of questions. It's OK - call them.

Maybe if you want to start with your budget, it'll help you really close in on the guitar you want.

How can we help you?

Thanks, mate.

Regarding my budget, I'd say up to $4000, as I just want the ultimate dream guitar, and if that means I have to save a little longer and spend even more than that's OK too.

Do you know how much a 5 piece flamed maple/purpleheart neck is?

I am looking for something super sexy, but also extremely durable, so I wouldn't want to just get a flamed maple neck.

Also, I would like to know the pricing of a crotch maple top, since I love the figuring.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 am

All good questions. And, for $4K, you'll be buying a lot of guitar and a lot of customized options. It may not be enough for a K-Series, but that would depend entirely on your design goals and Jeff's whim when he's ready to start yours.

You don't have to go the K-Series route to get highly customized options. You can, for example, order a "Master Grade" top to go along with your flame maple-Purpleheart neck and you'll stay under your budget on many models.

I'm just hazarding a guess, but I think a 3-pc Flame Maple/Purpleheart neck would be in the range of $750 - $1000, but I'd call. By the way, that's a really, truly, heavy neck, so you may want to think about that before you pull the trigger. Those are two of the densest woods. It might not pair well with a chambered or an ultra lightweight swamp ash body.

Crotch maple is so wicked cool. I'd call the guys and ask them if they have any in the inventory today. You may be able to get some flamed burled maple or a flamed spalted maple that may give you some of those visual features for less money, but it will depend entirely on what's in the inventory.

They won't order special woods for you, but if they happen to have something already in inventory, it's usually something pretty special. For example, I just ordered a flamed redwood top for an Aries that's being built now. Jeff prices each special top wood individually, so it would take a phone call either way to confirm. If it is a Master grade top, your salesman would likely be able to get you pictures before you place your order.
CT6 Deep Blue Quilt, HH2 Claro, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, Master Grade Ziricote SH65, Aries A6X Flamed Redwood Top In The Oven!!!

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks a lot for all the info.

Btw., do you know if one can pay the 20% deposit with the K-Series as well, or does the build have to be paid in full upfront?
How does it work for this model?

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 am

I don't know. I've never put less than 50% down, but that's me. I would imagine there's a fee to get on the waiting list. I don't know how long it is, but I seem to recall it's a long wait now to get a K.

Call Flock.

Alienadin wrote:Thanks a lot for all the info.

Btw., do you know if one can pay the 20% deposit with the K-Series as well, or does the build have to be paid in full upfront?

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about a Kiesel Edition or a K-Series?

MarshallTSL wrote:I don't know. I've never put less than 50% down, but that's me. I would imagine there's a fee to get on the waiting list. I don't know how long it is, but I seem to recall it's a long wait now to get a K.

Call Flock.

Alienadin wrote:Thanks a lot for all the info.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 am

Make sure you are really committed to do it. We are talking about top dollar here for a guitar that will likely will not be returnable. Gotta think things through a million times and very carefully when you put the options together.Also...think about resell value...in case you ever think about selling it.

They have built some amazing k-series instruments though, good track record. Whatever you get is gonna be awesome.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:13 am

Alienadin wrote:Btw., do you know if one can pay the 20% deposit with the K-Series as well, or does the build have to be paid in full upfront?

I wanna say that 50% min is needed on a K-Series. I could be mistaken as I got a single piece buckeye top on mine which put me in the 'option 50' realm.

It should be either 50% or 20% though, I don't think the entire payment is required up front (I usually pay 100% but did 50% on my KM8).

Either way, a truly beautiful, 'work of art' instrument...as delightful to look at as it is to play.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 pm

I can't find the deposit info but the builder is pretty clear on the options with the K series.
Two seven piece neck choices.
Special top prices
Special finish prices.

Most kiesel options are available , possibly at an additional cost I'm sure.
No 10 day trials.

Facebook is a great way to ask sales questions.
Mike Jones is always quick to reply.
Otherwise a phone call will take care of everything.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars