Stainless frets will be standard on all models

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Quivering Wrist

Re: Stainless frets will be standard on all models

Postby Quivering Wrist » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm

There is no reason not to get stainless unless you support fret jobs.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 am

spudmunkey wrote:Image

We don't need luthiers sucking money from musicians for fret job. What we need is more high pay9ing jobs and that is what stainless steel does. It empowers those who need the power on their fretboard.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 am

I think stainless is very good for modern lead guitar especially. I think stainless is just a smidge"slippery" for pure rhythm guitar playing, especially if the frets are jumbo. It creates opportunity for microtonal variances to slip in. They have no"grip" whatsoever. Now before anybody starts chiming in "I have stainless frets and I don't have problem one," let me say, 1) there are all kinds of neck sizes, and there are 2) all kinds of hand sizes.

For folks with non average sized hands, holding a convoluted or stretchy chord, it benefits from string stability, where the string doesn't feel as though it's on ice skates beneath your fingers. I think a quality nickel silver medium fret is going to generally be more comfy for a jazz guitar player who bends very little and relies on string stability in the neck to fret extended chords. I think a jumbo, slippery stainless fret is anathema to hollow body jazz guitar playing. Exceptions could be found for sure, but the same way Fretless Wonder original LP Customs with their tiny nickel frets are awful for shredders but perfect for jazz and show band players, you can switch up which is awful for whom when talking about stainless jumbo. Especially if the person has oversized hands, or very small hands and chording is either (big hands) finger-crowded, or a (small hands) big stretch that needs help holding perfect chord pitch.

Since it's a prototype at some variance with the production Northen Super (flamed maple neck binding, for ex.), I don't know it 100% for sure, but I suspect that Northen that I have has stainless frets. They may just be extremely high quality nickel silver, but I've played a good deal of that. They feel like butter, that classic stainless feel when playing. I'll just have to keep an eye on it to see if it develops any grooving as time goes by.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars