Fatboy Pickup Experiment

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Fatboy Pickup Experiment

Postby Omsong » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 pm

I had a split push pull switch option added to my recent HF2 build and I've been enjoying it's split coil tones. I especially like the split neck pickup clean tone when I roll back (scoop) the mid eq on my amp. It gets some of that "tubby/hollow" tone characteristic of the single coil neck pickup sound of a Strat.

However, when Kiesel splits the neck pickup they disconnect the north (top) coil in the humbucker pair so that only the south (bottom) coil is active. This actually positions the active neck coil further away from the warm "sweet spot" than a Strat, for example, especially since the Fatboy has a 24 fret neck.

With that thought, I rewired the split switch so that the neck north/top coil is the active one. My assumption was that since it would be closer to the sweet spot (than the south coil) that would improve the tone even more. Well, I was wrong, at least for the Strat like tone I was going for. The single coil tone definitely warmed up, but it lost a significant amount of the sparkle and tubbyness that I was after. It really was less Strat sounding that before. On a positive note, it did warm up/improve the split middle position (both neck and bridge active) tone, but not enough to justify degrading the split neck tone. So back to the original wiring.

Looks like Kiesel had it right all along!
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

marcwormjim

Re: Fatboy Pickup Experiment

Postby marcwormjim » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:22 pm

What pickups?

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Fatboy Pickup Experiment

Postby Omsong » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 am

marcwormjim wrote:What pickups?

The 22pole H22s.

Note: I did not adjust individual pole pieces or the pickup heights. I had already tweaked the pickup height but didn't hear much impact on tone, only volume.

It's possible that those looking for a warmer jazz box tone would have liked the change. But if they play with humbuckers there would, of course be no benefit. I found I can get all the tonal range I need with the tone control and my amp settings.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars