Are these amazing tops normal?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

coltpeacemaker041

Are these amazing tops normal?

Postby coltpeacemaker041 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi guys nice to be apart off the family as im about to order my first beast very soon just still working out what i want! I saw this beauty online i can't remember the owners name but wow what a top! Is this a normal top or something extra as it seems to be better then the usual ones you see?
Also i love the deep blue ones flames as they are nice and wide and horizontal! The other one with more aqua which i think is tran aquaburst is stunning too. So are these twos what i can expect? Or are these better then usual?
Cheeers guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by coltpeacemaker041 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Overloard by day guitar god by night....

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Are these amazing tops normal?

Postby dejabluguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 pm

sometimes those slip thru as 4A. but look like at least 5A
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

coltpeacemaker041

Postby coltpeacemaker041 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Thats what i was thinking! Theres no way they are 4A!!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm

I completely disagree. They're pretty par for the course 4a from what I can see. 4a is pretty flamey.

Of course there's no UN Council on Flame Standards so there's nothing to determine consistency.

Pretty typical Mayones 4a

4a quilt

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

coltpeacemaker041

Postby coltpeacemaker041 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Wow awesome axes mate Im jeloiuse! Kiesel tops are outstanding for the price. Im looking at getting the NZ624 KIESEL NEIL ZAZA or a CT624. Cheers id love to see more pics guys off you're rigs.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:42 pm

coltpeacemaker041 wrote:Wow awesome axes mate Im jeloiuse! Kiesel tops are outstanding for the price. Im looking at getting the NZ624 KIESEL NEIL ZAZA or a CT624. Cheers id love to see more pics guys off you're rigs.

These posts read like those of a Russian bot programmed to unfailingly praise the company. I'm 85% sure they aren't from a Russian bot though. Time will tell.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:28 pm

I've never really liked the grading system that they use. Seems like every year they add more possible A's to the tops. Most of these are also from Big Leaf maple, which is the common type of maple on the west coast. It makes some great figured maple. IMHO almost too figured. I'm someone who appreciates the wonders of nature, and that things aren't always perfect.

Michigan/Indiana Maple is usually Sugar or Red Maple, and it is much more likely to have irregular flame patterns, as well as mineral streaking:

Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Anthony7

Postby Anthony7 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:30 am

Tbonesullivan is absolutely right. Every flame, quilted top from Keisel is wonderfully figured because they are from the West Coast. My bolt kit and DC400 had great flamed and quilted tops respectively. My Heritage H150 was Michigan maple. Nice figuring but nothing like my Carvin. For the guitars Heritage builds, the Michigan maple seems more appropriate. The less figured would usually make for a brighter sound. Anyone have a picture of quilted maple with aquamarine (not aqua burst)?

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:28 am

Not sure figuring has anything to do with sound; It's the density of the wood. And even then, you're into the whole tonewood debate about whether a 1/2" slab of maple glued to a 1" slab of mahogany is going to sound acoustically like anything at all.

Not trying to start a debate here either; I don't really care. I like pretty guitars and if the sound that comes out of the amp is pleasing to me, then it doesn't really matter "why".

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:03 am

Agreed. I believe body and fretboard wood is an influencer of sound that's mostly determined (on solidbodies) by the bridge - saddles, nut, pups... and then these two woods can add character on top of those primary determinants.

Tops are decorative, though. I used to buy into the idea of a maple top "adding high end" to the warmth and midrange response of mahogany. If anything I think a maple top subdues the midrangey honk of mahog not by contribution of its bright qualities into the mix of woods, but by its dampening effect on the body wood. You can't spread Franklin titebond glue onto to the top/open pores of a body wood slab, and blanket over it/smother the top of your body wood with another piece of hardwood without subduing a lot of the character of that body wood. So if you notice a LP standard sounding less resonantly warm versus a Recording/Special (with buckers or P90's)/Junior or any other slab body LP, that's the reason. Same goes with koa veneers, ebony, etc.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars