How do the new HH2s compare to the old ones?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

deftones

How do the new HH2s compare to the old ones?

Postby deftones » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:04 am

I have a HH2 from the old factory with J custom fixed hardware and double ball ended strings. I know there's few changes on the new ones such as hipshot hardware, no chambering, no zero fret which I think are all improvements.

Does anyone have the new HH2s that can chime in? Does it feel like an entirely new guitar with these spec changes? The "pinging" and wearing down on the zero fret is annoying to me and the hipshot seems easier to adjust than the J custom but I've read issues where players are maxing out the hipshot saddles so I'm not sure.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: How do the new HH2s compare to the old ones?

Postby colossal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Well, I have three of the older HHs and like them. I could do without the old JCustom trem (even though I rarely, if ever, use it) and to do it again would definitely go with the new Hipshot fixed bridge. But that said, I do NOT like the new Hipshot headpiece. I use double ball strings and it wouldn't be a big ask to machine the headpiece to accept standard and double ball strings. I get it that few people use double ball, but I am one of them. Now guys are having problems with those little screws stripping and I knew that would become an issue. Those parts are guaranteed to wear and fail in time. Double ball eliminates that completely. If I build another HH guitar, I will order and send in a JCustom headpiece. The other thing I am not keen on with the new design is that the fixed bridge is just mounted directly to the top. I wish it were recessed into the body wood, like the older design. I have played the new design and they sound and play killer of course. Would the small things I mention stop me from ordering one? No, not at all. Killer guitars. I also never had any pinging issues with the zero frets on my guitars, the frets are jumbo stainless, but that problem too has been eliminated with the updated design.

deftones

Postby deftones » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

colossal wrote:Well, I have three of the older HHs and like them. I could do without the old JCustom trem (even though I rarely, if ever, use it) and to do it again would definitely go with the new Hipshot fixed bridge. But that said, I do NOT like the new Hipshot headpiece. I use double ball strings and it wouldn't be a big ask to machine the headpiece to accept standard and double ball strings. I get it that few people use double ball, but I am one of them. Now guys are having problems with those little screws stripping and I knew that would become an issue. Those parts are guaranteed to wear and fail in time. Double ball eliminates that completely. If I build another HH guitar, I will order and send in a JCustom headpiece. The other thing I am not keen on with the new design is that the fixed bridge is just mounted directly to the top. I wish it were recessed into the body wood, like the older design. I have played the new design and they sound and play killer of course. Would the small things I mention stop me from ordering one? No, not at all. Killer guitars. I also never had any pinging issues with the zero frets on my guitars, the frets are jumbo stainless, but that problem too has been eliminated with the updated design.

I hear ya, double ball strings are great :D . Hipshot does have a headpiece that accepts double ball, I've seen them on Island Instruments "Traveller" guitar. Hopefully the next update incorporates that.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:27 pm

I have the original HH2X, which I love. I use Elixir strings, which are not available in dbl-ball, so I am fine with the combo headpiece. Kiesel updated the HH2 with some minor changes, and I really like that one also- plays similarly, but a nice contrast to the original version, especially with the pickups. That said, I really have no interest in the latest Hipshot version of the HH2X, because I am so happy with what I have; also the latest version is such a departure from the originals, what with the rear sprung cavity, etc., that I really wonder if AH (RIP) would have played them. I will consider a Vader V6X, but I am in no rush.

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:21 am

Along with Colossal, I am a double-ball strings dinosaur with no will to quit.
My 2015 alder/birch HH1X Carvin is an exceptional guitar. Considering my second HH build, a couple of days ago I asked Chris Hong about a number of OP50s. All of them appeared to be available except for the double-ball hardware from the vault.
Sigh.
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH1 w/KH12B pickup

https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

roswell1965
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roswell1965 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm

deftones wrote:I've read issues where players are maxing out the hipshot saddles so I'm not sure.

They certainly are and that's the reason I sent mine back. I don't believe the HH2 is engineered to work with the current hipshot bridge - it's as if one day Jeff got ticked at JCustom and decided to slap a hipshot on there instead and "call it good." No way those saddles are supposed to be perched up on stilts the way they currently are. No way. It's a shame.
Last edited by roswell1965 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:08 pm

ChrisN wrote:Along with Colossal, I am a double-ball strings dinosaur with no will to quit.
My 2015 alder/birch HH1X Carvin is an exceptional guitar. Considering my second HH build, a couple of days ago I asked Chris Hong about a number of OP50s. All of them appeared to be available except for the double-ball hardware from the vault.
Sigh.

Chris, I may order a couple of JCustom headpiece from Headless USA...just in case.

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 pm

colossal wrote:Chris, I may order a couple of JCustom headpiece from Headless USA...just in case.

Dave, I do regret I didn't get me the complete JCustom fixed bridge when it was available.
Purchasing the headpieces alone would work fine if the bridge you consider features the string pull jaws - unless the complete 2nd gen JCustom X tremolo bridge is what you are aiming for.
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH1 w/KH12B pickup

https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars