New Model?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New Model?

Postby dbone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 am

The builder is up
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:37 pm

13333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Green Z8.png

Man that is nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:20 pm

In a Snapchat-style Instagram "Story", just posted a video of the paint spray booth, where it looked like they were spraying a burst of metallic radiation green on a guitar similar to this. I'm aprehensively curious about how it'l I'm curious about how it'll look in the end.l look in the end. Hopefully better than that Aries that is currently in stock that has the opaque green paint burst.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Ugh, just give the ash a Summer treatment and call it good.

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am

I'm sincerely digging the Zeus - especially that aurora blue on the poplar burl top, RNC hog body all in satin.

I'm in the market for a bolt so this is right up my consideration alley..which is nice :D

Is there any merit to the 'neck slotted up to the rhythm pup route' stability issue brought up earlier? Someone mentioned Ibanez doing this for a long time and having no issues (with or without those slight body curves at the point where the based of the neck slot actually meets the rhythm pup route) but I've seen many cases where a Jem gets a hairline crack along where the upper horn means the body, by the neck joint.

I'd have to dust off my static physics a bit, so I could be completely wrong here, but that Jem issue, at least initially, doesn't seem like a tension based crack but more of a playing/handling-induced crack.

It does seem to be a very common issue with older Jems tho, as much as I love the design and general body style of the RG/Jem, I've heard it's almost an inevitable issue which, sadly, destroys any interest in purchasing one.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Nebulon wrote:Is there any merit to the 'neck slotted up to the rhythm pup route' stability issue brought up earlier? Someone mentioned Ibanez doing this for a long time and having no issues (with or without those slight body curves at the point where the based of the neck slot actually meets the rhythm pup route) but I've seen many cases where a Jem gets a hairline crack along where the upper horn means the body, by the neck joint.

I'd have to dust off my static physics a bit, so I could be completely wrong here, but that Jem issue, at least initially, doesn't seem like a tension based crack but more of a playing/handling-induced crack.

It does seem to be a very common issue with older Jems tho, as much as I love the design and general body style of the RG/Jem, I've heard it's almost an inevitable issue which, sadly, destroys any interest in purchasing one.

I think it is more likely to be caused by over-tightening the neck mounting screws into a soft basswood body. These older Jems (the mighty Evo included) probably had the neck removed for maintenance and put back on again many times. Kiesel's harder body woods should be less susceptible me thinks.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

spudmunkey wrote:In a Snapchat-style Instagram "Story", just posted a video of the paint spray booth, where it looked like they were spraying a burst of metallic radiation green on a guitar similar to this. I'm aprehensively curious about how it'l I'm curious about how it'll look in the end.l look in the end. Hopefully better than that Aries that is currently in stock that has the opaque green paint burst.

I firmly believe that, custom shop or no, there be some aesthetic choices that are just no-go from the shop. Like, "I will not allow one of my guitars to leave the shop to speak for the brand in such a fashion. Like, this is a lovely sentiment in theory,

https://youtu.be/mlwfGh-SVXw

But in reality there are some things that are often more like,

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I firmly believe that, custom shop or no, there be some aesthetic choices that are just no-go from the shop. Like, "I will not allow one of my guitars to leave the shop to speak for the brand in such a fashion. Like, this is a lovely sentiment in theory,

Has anyone ever gotten a "no" on a request (for anything other than logo delete) because Jeff or someone else thought the guitar would be too ugly/weird to be branded as a Carvin/Kiesel? One of my favorite things about Kiesel is their willingness to do custom finishes that are outsides the bounds of conventional taste.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:02 am

gpbarnett wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:I firmly believe that, custom shop or no, there be some aesthetic choices that are just no-go from the shop. Like, "I will not allow one of my guitars to leave the shop to speak for the brand in such a fashion. Like, this is a lovely sentiment in theory,

Has anyone ever gotten a "no" on a request (for anything other than logo delete) because Jeff or someone else thought the guitar would be too ugly/weird to be branded as a Carvin/Kiesel?

Definitely. These stories have been shared over the years on the BBS -- including those they decided to never allow ever again once it was done. One remarkable example was a blue center with a relatively wide white burst; they said no white burst ever again. Interestingly, they've been creeping back toward it for some time now. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 am

Back in 2000, they made my AE185 non-returnable because I chose a V headstock for it.

Whatever year they had the 12-inline headstocks, I called to ask about a doubleneck with a a 6-inline and a 6+6 instead of of that drooping unicorn horn thing. They said if I ordered it, it would be non-returnable because it would be a "white elephant."

Aesthetic cognizance has never been a strong suit at Carvin/Kiesel.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 am

I'm amazed you weren't the first to weigh in on the new Gibson Flying V....
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am

FB_IMG_1516041129190.jpg

FB_IMG_1516041138990.jpg

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm beginning to warm to the Zeus body style, particularly those that have the two toned bezel cut which seems to reduce the apparent size of the upper bout 'horn'.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:38 pm

It looks amazing with the new pickup covers.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

FB_IMG_1516074585953.jpg

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I'm amazed you weren't the first to weigh in on the new Gibson Flying V....

Eh. They'll never get it right. The closest they ever got to getting it right was the V-90. I have one and it's pretty good. I'll eventually get some neck blanks from Kiesel and make the V and SG models the way no one seems to have the basic sense to make.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 am

I was talking w another member here who's a collector of V's and Explorers. He woke me up to the fact of how rarely Gibson actually uses the original korina limba when building reissues. I don't understand is why they so rarely use korina when making these instruments, and always default to mahogany. Yet Epiphone uses korina in their own instruments for an affordable price. Very odd.

Those V90's do look pretty cool but I'm having a hard time seeing what's different, but I guess a V fanatic would see the differences right away.

This thing looks wicked--looks just like my heritage cherry Special, cut into a V (full TOM included instead of the classic string thru the V plate).

dig it (different one I think):
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Those V90's do look pretty cool but I'm having a hard time seeing what's different

Here's mine:

Originally Nuclear Yellow, I stripped it and put a wax finish on it.

Distinctive features of the V90 that I consider to be superior to the more common V67 or v58 —

- 25.5" scale length
- 24 frets
- Ebony fingerboard
- Cool inlay
- Smaller pickguard
- Strat-style output jack under the upper wing
- Gibson logo on the headstock rather than the truss rod cover (which I often remove and toss)

There were versions with a single-coil in the neck position, but I prefer the one-pickup version as you generally don't seek a lot of tonal variety or nuance when playing a V. The V90 shares the more manly-looking square shoulders of the V58, rather than the soft slope of the V67, which I prefer. It also has a Strat-style belly contour on the back (which is just stupid) and originally came with a Steinberger fold-out leg rest (also stupid) that I removed. Maple neck, which I'm indifferent about.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:30 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I was talking w another member here who's a collector of V's and Explorers. He woke me up to the fact of how rarely Gibson actually uses the original korina limba when building reissues. I don't understand is why they so rarely use korina when making these instruments, and always default to mahogany.

Probably because under Gibson's current pricing structure every guitar would cost about fifty thousand dollars if they used white limba.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars