New Model?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New Model?

Postby Bob77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 am

Toptube wrote:I seriously doubt that their product line will ever be completely rid of shapes inspired by "classic" guitars. However, many people who want the classic stuff------actually buy the real thing. Jeff knows this and has said it. However, there is merit to the idea of the Kiesel DNA infused into a classic inspired shape. And so we still have some of those models available. .

I don't know man...the overall design of these guitars - to me - seems to be moving away more and more from anything classic (probably to cater to the prog metal/shred crowds which seem to be a lot into these instruments).

Thank goodness there are still things like the bolt, SH550 and a few others that are easier on the eye for us traditionalists :lol:
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 am

Bob77 wrote:I don't know man...the overall design of these guitars - to me - seems to be moving away more and more from anything classic (probably to cater to the prog metal/shred crowds which seem to be a lot into these instruments).

Solo? SH6? GH3? Sure they have some modern features, but these models are proof that Jeff is still very much inspired by traditional or "classic" designs.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

My guess is that's probably what he meant by the "few others" in additional to the 550.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

True, but the use of the word "still" lead me to believe he was talking about old models. My point in bringing up those 3 was that they are still releasing new models that are classically inspired.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 pm

ilyti wrote:True, but the use of the word "still" lead me to believe he was talking about old models. My point in bringing up those 3 was that they are still releasing new models that are classically inspired.

His first design was the PB bass, too.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 pm

I hope the SH6 puts to bed (I guess I could also say I hope it supports the idea) the thought that Jeff is aching to retire the CT series and replace it with the Crescent. I'd be interested to see the sales stats on these two new models (specifically vs the C-hole Crescent) after the first year to see which one lit up the sales dept more.

I really like the Solo as an idea very much.. I just think these vintage inspired guitars need pickups: some nice fat P90 (or AP6) style single coils as well as a more relaxed magnet humbucker for the bridge to lend these guitars the more nuanced qualities that their brethren have out on the market. Telecasters are (thanks John 5 and others!) hugely popular right now, and a set of pickups tuned to the right territory could open up a whole new market of country/studio/pop players who are looking for that sound but in a quality, more customizable format (and with those superb Kiesel necks).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:58 pm

26196141_1405572706231225_5861053230413867613_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm

God bless Jeff for using his imagination, and at least trying to do something off the beaten track. And just because I don't like something doesn't mean others don't; others like this stuff which balance out those who don't. You can't please everyone. And Jeff does have what Gibson lacks at the moment at least, the ability to successfully reimagine the guitar in a world that seems to have decided that it's All Been Done Before and the only thing to do is reimagine the past with zooty upgrades.

But oofah, that Zeus looks like a shocked whale to me. Just doesn't do it for me at all. :?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 pm

When I started to watch this I was thinking in my smarty pants way,"it does the theme from mario bros. pretty good but how is this going to show me what it would sound like if I was playing it." Que the killer pinch harmonic laden lead. Oh that is how.

I have not like the looks or the name. But not enough to to care either way. I saw a picture of the bass version on FB. I liked it quite a bit. I need to see more before I am sold. I am in the market for a bass. :think:

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

spudmunkey wrote:26196141_1405572706231225_5861053230413867613_n.jpg

The 8 string is definitely better visually balanced than the 6 string, IMO. Hollowing out that upper bout would significantly reduce its weight. It's upper bout reminds me of the scroll on a two point "f" style mandolin, without, unfortunately, the intricately carved contours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

ilyti wrote:
Bob77 wrote:I don't know man...the overall design of these guitars - to me - seems to be moving away more and more from anything classic (probably to cater to the prog metal/shred crowds which seem to be a lot into these instruments).

Solo? SH6? GH3? Sure they have some modern features, but these models are proof that Jeff is still very much inspired by traditional or "classic" designs.

Yeah, the Solo, SH, and Crescent, were all released in the past year. That's pretty good representation for the classic inspirations.

Additionally, all existing models retroactively benefit from any new improvements to manufucture processes, construction or new woods. So, the bolt now, is "better" than a bolt from X years ago.

When I bought my Icon 5 bass 3 years ago---the Icon was a 7 year old design. But I got it with second gen Radiused pickups, Carbon fiber rods in the neck, Antique Ash finish, and a 5 piece neck, which includes White Limba. Non of those things were available, when the Icon was released. Everytime I look at it and play it, I still feel like its a "current", relevant product from Kiesel. Part of that is becuase the Icon body is wonderful to play. and part of it is because I it specced with things which are still part of the current identity of the company.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I wonder what's up with the Zeus being call-in only. With only a splash page on the site. Rather than a proper product page. Anyone watched Jeff recently? Has he talked about this?

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Toptube wrote:I wonder what's up with the Zeus being call-in only. With only a splash page on the site. Rather than a proper product page. Anyone watched Jeff recently? Has he talked about this?

Saw this exchange on the FB page:

"But, guys, I (and a lot of people on this group, plus quite everyone on the bbs board) know you are under a lot of work vis à vis Christmas sales and the incoming NAMM ; but, please, give the Zeus bass a dedicated page on the website, and us the possibility to order both Zeus guitar and bass through the builder !
4 · 3 hrs · Edited
Remove
Kiesel Guitars Carvin Guitars
Kiesel Guitars Carvin Guitars We promise that this is on the way. For now you will have to call in to order Zeus guitars or basses.
3 hrs · Edited"

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:58 pm

13333.jpg

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 am

Doctor Turn wrote:But oofah, that Zeus looks like a shocked whale to me. Just doesn't do it for me at all. :?

Hi Doc,

Funny that I find myself liking the Zeus because it looks like a beluga, especially that white one :lol: Check out the Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation bass, which looks exactly like a sperm whale. I love everything about that bass. That said, I am still a bit at odds with the upper bout on the Zeus...As others have mentioned and to my eye, I think it works best as an 8 string and especially multiscale. When the Vader first came out, I struggled with the cutout below the bridge. Having been anchored aesthetically to (everything about) the Holdsworth guitars, I couldn't make the Vader work for me, and still can't. It's a killer guitar though. I am glad to see Jeff continuing to develop the headless line. Hopefully we'll see another offering.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pm

FB_IMG_1515528817052.jpg

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 pm

spudmunkey wrote:26196141_1405572706231225_5861053230413867613_n.jpg

I could see doing this one as multiscale with chambered alder, white-white paint, Holdsworth pickups (white bobbins), flamed maple neck and fretboard, jumbo frets, offset Luminlay or abalone dots (or NIN).

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm

https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/ ... =3&theater
26233615_2020331804916778_4533989581045007564_o.jpg

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 am

Screenshot_20180110-072409.png

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars