New Model?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Model?

Postby DWG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am

Initially, I was mostly indifferent towards the design. Then I saw the Aurora Blue Poplar Top with Mahogany body. Wow! That combination really highlights the bevel's interesting sweep under the bridge. Well done.

DWG

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby islandbass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:27 am

I am absolutely stoked, and hope to be able to order one once they're listed. My one concern though is, how will it balance on a strap with the top strap button being at a higher fret than usual? It looks like it'll be amazing in the lap at least.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:28 am

DWG wrote:Initially, I was mostly indifferent towards the design. Then I saw the Aurora Blue Poplar Top with Mahogany body. Wow! That combination really highlights the bevel's interesting sweep under the bridge. Well done.

DWG

That Aurora one really does look pretty sweet...Tops do look more interesting on this model.
Lately i’ve been noticing more that pairing “one” body size to fit 6/7/8 string necks yields less than optimum looking results.
On this body the 8 seems to look best and the 7 and 6 less so. Is it just me
Last edited by dbone on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 am

amon wrote:Image

Similar, but the First Act is visually proportioned a little better. I think we're learning the value of having an approval committee for new designs.

It does look cool without the bevel!
I understand of course why it has to remain.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:57 am

arahobob wrote:

Similar, but the First Act is visually proportioned a little better. I think we're learning the value of having an approval committee for new designs.

Definitely a better/more aesthetic design than the Zeus! Of course it's a totally different concept than Kiesel's headless, but, IMO, with a bit more effort the Zeus design could have been tweeked to have a better visual balance.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:11 am

With a icon-ish headstock and the standard hipshot bridge this might be a real interesting guitar
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 am

DWG wrote:Initially, I was mostly indifferent towards the design. Then I saw the Aurora Blue Poplar Top with Mahogany body. Wow! That combination really highlights the bevel's interesting sweep under the bridge. Well done.

DWG

Yeah, I agree! I really like that contrast of the warm mahogany against the blue burled poplar top. Aesthetically, I like this model best as a multi scale.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 am

Omsong wrote:
arahobob wrote:

Definitely a better/more aesthetic design than the Zeus! Of course it's a totally different concept than Kiesel's headless, but, IMO, with a bit more effort the Zeus design could have been tweeked to have a better visual balance.

I think in oiled the Zeus better. The proportions of this one are a bit different, and something about the horn and overall proportions on this one reminds me a lot of the Schecter Riot bass:

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 am

I'd never buy a headless guitar because I think a headless guitar buys you a one-way ticket to Gooberville. I also come from an era (I'm 39) in which guitars were an extended phallus and were played to get chicks. The intended music these headless guitars play doesn't get anyone any chicks (and spare me the "you can play anything you want on them" nonsense). Even with EVH playing a Steinberger for a song or two and ditto for Vito Bratta, these guitars, to me, are aesthetically silly.

That said, silly name aside, this guitar is the first headless and the first from Kiesel that doesn't make me turn away with repulsion. I'd only even consider a headless if it came with a Steinberger (or the like) TransTrem, and if it could be done, I'd totally think about getting a six string version of this silly-named guitar.

That said, I also think it's somewhat of a lazy design take on a headless Tosin Abasi model.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:16 am

DannyB819 wrote:. I also come from an era (I'm 39) in which guitars were an extended phallus and were played to get chicks.

I'm 38, and it was because I liked music, and it looked fun. I don't even think I liked girls yet when I started :laughhard:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm

I now strongly suspect that the plan is to eliminate all pre-split models.....but I might be wrong. Time will tell.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm

I showed pictures of the Zeus to my wife and she said it looked 'fat and weird'. lol
I didn't tell her the name though....
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm

DannyB819 wrote:I'd never buy a headless guitar because I think a headless guitar buys you a one-way ticket to Gooberville. I also come from an era (I'm 39) in which guitars were an extended phallus and were played to get chicks. The intended music these headless guitars play doesn't get anyone any chicks (and spare me the "you can play anything you want on them" nonsense). Even with EVH playing a Steinberger for a song or two and ditto for Vito Bratta, these guitars, to me, are aesthetically silly.

That said, silly name aside, this guitar is the first headless and the first from Kiesel that doesn't make me turn away with repulsion. I'd only even consider a headless if it came with a Steinberger (or the like) TransTrem, and if it could be done, I'd totally think about getting a six string version of this silly-named guitar.

That said, I also think it's somewhat of a lazy design take on a headless Tosin Abasi model.

Only in America. I'm a few weeks away from 40, and guitars have never been chick magnets up here (unless you're into newly divorced 58 year olds wearing leopard print and perfume strong enough to make you tear up at 500 yards). Headless guitars are nice because they're light, compact, and otherwise exactly the same as their larger counterparts.

It's more of a SCB than a Tosin, but your point is well made: Jeff is definitely competing in that market with this guitar; I guess that it's fair though, since Tosin is using a very "Kiesel"-like business model for the manufacture of his guitars. And I think that Jeff is going to eat his breakfast by offering his model as a headless (which most people would have expected from Tosin), and at a price-point that destroys S.E. Asian Strandbergs.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Strandberg's have a mystique that Kiesel's don't (yet). Plus, to me, Stransberg designs are way 'cool'er, but of course everyone has their own preference. Interesting comparison on YouTube between a Vadar and a Strandberg (Spoiler - for the money, the Strandberg was the winner...)

With the rabid success of the Vadar, I think Jeff sees a huge market potential for a (slightly) lower cost, bolt neck headles; and I bet that he is right. I just don't know how well the Zeus design will go over - time will tell. I personally think it could have been better executed, but Kiesel doesn't do anything by market research. It seems a bit presumptuous that a company would release a new product without first conducting market testing. Most companies run test product by groups of sample customers before committing to manufacture, but then Kiesel is not your typical company. Heck, signature guitars often go through 10 or 20 prototypes... (My guess market research in this case was a pass through the sales office with a prototype and "Hey guys, don't you just love my latest masterpiece"... An Emperor who wears no clothes like scenario. Hmm, I wonder how the Vanquish is selling?)

Ultimately, buyers will vote with their wallets, and my gut feeling is that the Zeus will be a profit winner. It's also a savvy sales strategy to offer a lower cost model at the same time prices were raised on the exiting ones.

Kiesel
Past tense

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:44 pm

This one is growing on me...I particularly like how the mahogany softens the look of the upper bout. I think I like it best as a multi scale. I like the Beluga reference! :lol:

Zeus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm

That contrasting top is really pretty and does help to balance the body curves, but how much does that add to the cost?

Kiesel
Past tense

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Omsong wrote:That contrasting top is really pretty and does help to balance the body curves, but how much does that add to the cost?

Probably adds a few bucks, but it'd be worth it to me. I like the 3-piece body option on that one too.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:06 pm

amon wrote:
Bob77 wrote:Good to see new bolt-on neck ideas coming through though.

Not crazy about there being no wood between the neck pocket and the neck pickup cavity. Again. Seems like there's likely going to be a long-term issue with stability on these models (Zeus, Aries, Solo, Vanquish).

A bit of an old sub-topic to dredge up, but Ibanez has been doing this for years on JEMs and RGs and it hasn't been a problem.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 pm

DannyB819 wrote:The intended music these headless guitars play doesn't get anyone any chicks (and spare me the "you can play anything you want on them" nonsense).

Tod Howarth (second guitarist for Frehley's Comet) played a Steinberger M-Series back in the day, with Ace right next to him on an LP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8kUsFdLfaE

... and apparently still plays it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKq-E1m-fMA

So you'll have to ask him how well he does with the ladies.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:40 pm

Cynical wrote:
amon wrote:
Bob77 wrote:Good to see new bolt-on neck ideas coming through though.

Not crazy about there being no wood between the neck pocket and the neck pickup cavity. Again. Seems like there's likely going to be a long-term issue with stability on these models (Zeus, Aries, Solo, Vanquish).

A bit of an old sub-topic to dredge up, but Ibanez has been doing this for years on JEMs and RGs and it hasn't been a problem.

Ibanez leaves little tabs to catch the corners of the neck heel. Even unbolted, it can't slide into the pickup cavity.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars