Raw tone finish top

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bward666

Raw tone finish top

Postby Bward666 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi! I’m thinking about an Aries in raw tone finish. If I select maple neck, 1 piece swamp ash body am I also required to select a swamp ash top? If yes, why?

Thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Raw tone finish top

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Nope!

The raw tone finish is effectively just the final clear coat that they put over whatever finish you are selecting. Instead of gloss, or their normal satin, you can select the raw tone satin which is thinner. By selecting this they also use thinner and fewer coats of the other finishes underneath like the paint or trans colors, Etc. The only reason you would need to select a top, is if you wanted a chambered body, or if you wanted there to be a transition from one color to another at that line. The other reason would be if you wanted the top to be bookmatched, since they only book match tops, and not the actual 2 piece body... But if you are getting a one-piece body, this would kind of be silly because the top would still look like two separate pieces of wood.

Bward666

Re: Raw tone finish top

Postby Bward666 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:42 am

spudmunkey wrote:Nope!

The raw tone finish is effectively just the final clear coat that they put over whatever finish you are selecting. Instead of gloss, or their normal satin, you can select the raw tone satin which is thinner. By selecting this they also use thinner and fewer coats of the other finishes underneath like the paint or trans colors, Etc. The only reason you would need to select a top, is if you wanted a chambered body, or if you wanted there to be a transition from one color to another at that line. The other reason would be if you wanted the top to be bookmatched, since they only book match tops, and not the actual 2 piece body... But if you are getting a one-piece body, this would kind of be silly because the top would still look like two separate pieces of wood.

Thanks for the information. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go second guess and overthink what I want my build to be :lol:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars