We have so much...except....

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X220
Gold Member
Gold Member

We have so much...except....

Postby X220 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 pm

an Explorer-type guitar.

You can do headless, headless multi scale, headless bolt on multi scale, neck through multi scale, bring back the X220 and make a 7 string version of it, something that, in the past, was said would never be done. I can go on and on, and I'm not even mentioning the crazy options available now.

All these crazy extended multi scale options...red fret markers...red and blue and yellow dyed fretboards...

but no explorer. The one model Kiesel could make that would blow the doors off of any other makers' explorers just in options alone. It would be incredible.

Please, just make a neck through explorer with all your cool options. PLEASE. Don't even worry about making it multi scale or anything crazy. Just an explorer.

PLEASE....
Eagerly awaiting the Kiesel Explorer....

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: We have so much...except....

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm

The unofficial/official word is: If James Hettfield wants one, they'll make one. :)

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 pm

spudmunkey wrote:The unofficial/official word is: If James Hettfield wants one, they'll make one. :)

That's it! Someone here has to change their name to James Hetfield and tell Kiesel they want an Explorer guitar. I like my name, so one of you guys will have to make the sacrifice. :mrgreen:

They didn't specify WHICH James Hetfield, after all.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 pm

I'd do it, if it would help. Kirk Bland is an okay name, but I could ditch it. I don't think it would impress Jeff, though. :think:
Meh.
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Maybe your name would work. It's practically almost Kirk Hammett, and he's sort of James Hetfield.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:21 pm

I was gonna post about the X220, but that's your username....:think:

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:Maybe your name would work. It's practically almost Kirk Hammett, and he's sort of James Hetfield.

Indeed. I think Kirk Bland sounds a bit more Punk than Metal, though. Kinda reflects my playing, too. :laughhard:
It's funny that you bring up the Explorer shape. I'm working on one(I've been calling it the Skullysplorer) with a Carvin neck through blank & my M22V/SD pickups. So it's mostly Carvin. Or will be. :P
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 pm

That's cool. Personally I don't think I would like an Explorer guitar, not that I don't think they're cool, but I just don't think I would adjust well to that sort of guitar after playing nothing but Strat-style guitars. Explorers sound amazing, though.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:00 am

Toptube wrote:I was gonna post about the X220, but that's your username....:think:

COMPLETELY different shape. I'd say the V220 is closer, but neither would satisfy the real Explorer purist. An explorer isn't really at heart an eighties pointy, it's a fifties guitar inspired by the atomic age/space race, and landed along with so many other George Jetson style (ex post facto name) guitars back then.

Plus they sound mostly like a traditional SG or V, though nowadays they tend to throw slightly hotter pickups on them.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 am

The "not quite Explorers" (ESP, Schecter, Wylde, etc.) look dopey, and Gibson will pursue a C & D path for getting the shape right. Just buy a neck blank and take it to a woodworking guy.

esphil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby esphil » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 am

How did I know I was going to see this when I opened the thread? Realistically the demand is probably very low for this. How many V/X220's do you see getting made? Jeff has already addressed this multiple times too.
AE185, AC275, Ultra V, Bolt-T, SCB6, Aries 6
Waiting Room:

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:37 am

Not holding my breath.

amon wrote:Just buy a neck blank and take it to a woodworking guy.

I agree. Pretty sure the Neck Through blanks are only long enough for the smaller Explorer Pro shape.(which I like)
That said, Theres always a Chapman Ghost Fret. Chapman makes a nice symmetrical V with a Floyd too.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 am

The thing that's throwing me in the discussion--Explorers are set neck like most of Gibson (sans Firebird original reverse body), correct? They're not neck-thru bodies.. which is why, like I mentioned before, despite the radical body shape and use of korina--which can be a lot like koa in many respects.. mahog-like, but with some character of brightness--these guitars sound a lot like the whole LP family of slab body set neck axes (SG, Specials, Juniors, etc).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm

You are correct sir.
The originals were Korina, 1976 Gibson re-issued them in Mahogany, 1984 they made a bunch of Alder body with Maple necks. A few random models are Ash with Mahogany necks, and there are the smaller Explorer Pro's built like a Les Paul Custom, Mahogany w/ maple top, and biding.
All Set Necks.
I figured people want an alternative to the Classic. Chapmans are Neck-Thru **, which I assume the non existent Kiesels would be.
Despite peoples dislike of the radical shape, it is actually one of the most comfortable, well balanced guitars, that sits on the lap as well, if not better than anything.
I F'n love Explorers!!!!! Does it show? :wink:

**(Chapman does offer a lower cost set-neck version too)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Naked Ape wrote:You are correct sir.
The originals were Korina, 1976 Gibson re-issued them in Mahogany, 1984 they made a bunch of Alder body with Maple necks. A few random models are Ash with Mahogany necks, and there are the smaller Explorer Pro's built like a Les Paul Custom, Mahogany w/ maple top, and biding.
All Set Necks.
I figured people want an alternative to the Classic. Chapmans are Neck-Thru **, which I assume the non existent Kiesels would be.
Despite peoples dislike of the radical shape, it is actually one of the most comfortable, well balanced guitars, that sits on the lap as well, if not better than anything.
I F'n love Explorers!!!!! Does it show? :wink:

**(Chapman does offer a lower cost set-neck version too)

I've never bought an Explorer, not because I actively dislike the body, but because I never, even when I was young, thought it was "me." Translation: none of the guitar players that I idolized played one. I flirted with a Gibson Flying V a few times (not a fan of Rhoads or Ultra V V's)... Firebirds I am maniacally over the moon for, in both the Studio III non reverse and the Standard Johnny Winter/Clapton Reverse standard neck thru version in 1 2 or 3 mini humbucker setups.. reach for them all the time in music stores, and came close to buying that CS triple pup non reverse from (2011 I think) the custom shop with the 3 x P90's and true coil taps on each P90.. right before I bought my Les Paul Special I think it was, I was in discussion w a guy who had one of those '11's in Pelham Blue and offered me a nice deal, but I really wanted the Les Paul in my stable. The LP Special with (legit single coil, no stacks please) P90's may be my favorite Gibson of all time-- single or DC, love em both. A late 50's era would be desert island material. When I discovered the cherry single cut I was looking at was one of those rare "Exclusives" w the ebony neck, TOM and the unique neck profile (and absurdly naive price from the oblivious seller), I completely forgot the Firebird.

For some reason and for the first time in my life, this thread is making me want a Gibson XPL, in korina of course. Are yours in mahogany or korina? What do you think of the "Elite" that they put out for '18?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:05 pm

What I believe to be my very first electric guitar was rented from a neighborhood music store that catered to school band instruments and lessons. It was a Hamer Standard in a solid pearl/metallic blue finish. How/why they ever had this guitar is a mystery to me. They had a strange selection for a store that only had 6-8 electric guitar...two of them were a couple seemingly high-end Strat-style Blade guitars.

Anyways, the Hamer was probably something like a 1984-88 model. It had active electronics...and the only reason I know that is because the guitar "died" and it took them 40 seconds and a 9volt battery to fix it when we brought it in for repair. I was terrified that I broke it when it stopped working. I think I was...8? Maybe 9? We rented it because I was just learning "Little Drummer Boy" for the elementary/grade school Christmas pageant, and I was going to be playing it with the school band.

Anywho...

The only thing I can really remember about the shape was being picked on because I could probably have curled up and hidden completely behind the body because it was so huge, comparatively.

Then again, I was only 8 or 9, so my perspective may be skewed. :laughhard:
Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:04 pm

The gibson explorer traditional is now under a grand. Just saying.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I cannnnn't!! :shh: don't torment me! That'd be just the kind of thing so different from anything in my arsenal that I'd make the excuse.

I'm determined to by an expensive 1 x 12 combo I've been wanting for ever, and I'm just about there. Must.. keep.... eye... on.. ball. New stock should be arriving at my dealer any day now, I'm just waiting for the call so I can have one of them held for me. Here in NY, they come in, sell out. Come in, sell out... (Carr Merc V)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Toptube wrote:I was gonna post about the X220, but that's your username....:think:

COMPLETELY different shape. I'd say the V220 is closer, but neither would satisfy the real Explorer purist. An explorer isn't really at heart an eighties pointy, it's a fifties guitar inspired by the atomic age/space race, and landed along with so many other George Jetson style (ex post facto name) guitars back then.

Plus they sound mostly like a traditional SG or V, though nowadays they tend to throw slightly hotter pickups on them.

I fully realize that an X220 is not an Explorer. But, it is clearly inspired by an upside down explorer. And in my opinion, if you want an explorer-like shape from Kiesel-----X220 fits the bill. Get it in White Limba (Korina) with a thicker neck profile. Send in pickups. Bada-bing, you've got a killer guitar, from Kiesel.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm

The explorer shape was in Product Suggestions for years. No go. :(
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars