We have so much...except....

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: We have so much...except....

Postby amon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Naked Ape wrote:Pretty sure the Neck Through blanks are only long enough for the smaller Explorer Pro shape.(which I like)

If it's an issue, make it a "set-through" and put a laminate top on it.

Naked Ape wrote:Chapman makes a nice symmetrical V with a Floyd too.

Perfect example of getting it not quite right and just looking dopey.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:13 pm

I think a lot of the Chapman guitars look decent, but the 8 on the 12th fret with no other fret markers and nearly every model only having a reverse headstock ruins them. Plus I don't know about the quality. I would think they could be decent since I'm pretty sure they're made in the same factory that makes PRS SE guitars.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Toptube wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:
Toptube wrote:I was gonna post about the X220, but that's your username....:think:

COMPLETELY different shape. I'd say the V220 is closer, but neither would satisfy the real Explorer purist. An explorer isn't really at heart an eighties pointy, it's a fifties guitar inspired by the atomic age/space race, and landed along with so many other George Jetson style (ex post facto name) guitars back then.

Plus they sound mostly like a traditional SG or V, though nowadays they tend to throw slightly hotter pickups on them.

I fully realize that an X220 is not an Explorer. But, it is clearly inspired by an upside down explorer. And in my opinion, if you want an explorer-like shape from Kiesel-----X220 fits the bill. Get it in White Limba (Korina) with a thicker neck profile. Send in pickups. Bada-bing, you've got a killer guitar, from Kiesel.

The spirit of the two are almost diametrically opposite, one is pure eighties pointy, one is completely original atomic age. I'd say the difference between the two probably more severe than the Hag Coronado and the Zeus. :lol: :lol:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Toptube wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:
Toptube wrote:I was gonna post about the X220, but that's your username....:think:

COMPLETELY different shape. I'd say the V220 is closer, but neither would satisfy the real Explorer purist. An explorer isn't really at heart an eighties pointy, it's a fifties guitar inspired by the atomic age/space race, and landed along with so many other George Jetson style (ex post facto name) guitars back then.

Plus they sound mostly like a traditional SG or V, though nowadays they tend to throw slightly hotter pickups on them.

I fully realize that an X220 is not an Explorer. But, it is clearly inspired by an upside down explorer. And in my opinion, if you want an explorer-like shape from Kiesel-----X220 fits the bill. Get it in White Limba (Korina) with a thicker neck profile. Send in pickups. Bada-bing, you've got a killer guitar, from Kiesel.

The spirit of the two are almost diametrically opposite, one is pure eighties pointy, one is completely original atomic age. I'd say the difference between the two probably more severe than the Hag Coronado and the Zeus. :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess we simply disagree. I get that a purist would be unhappy. A Kiesel Explorer would not be exactly the same. Wouldn't even have a TOM bridge or a pickguard (and IMO a TOM bridge is important to the tone of a Gibson Explorer or the Thunderbird basses, etc). So, a purist would still be unhappy.

But they are both vaguely "X" shape guitars. If you flip an X220 upside down, IMO it is clearly explorer based. Indeed, the X220 is more pointy and emphasizes the X aspect, more. But, if you are someone looking for something kinda like an explorer, the X220 is clearly based on one. And it is what Kiesel currently offers.
922_G_1429848364906.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 am

amon wrote:
Naked Ape wrote:Chapman makes a nice symmetrical V with a Floyd too.

Perfect example of getting it not quite right and just looking dopey.

Lol. That just makes me like it even more.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 am

Yeah, this is the one thing that's missing from their lineup that's wowing me at this point. TBH, the Zeus reveal was extremely underwhelming for me and started to push me away from the Kiesel fold a bit. Cool if you're into that thing, but I'm getting tired of seeing "multiscale", "fanned-fret", and "headless" in a new product design.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Sparky131 wrote:Yeah, this is the one thing that's missing from their lineup that's wowing me at this point. TBH, the Zeus reveal was extremely underwhelming for me and started to push me away from the Kiesel fold a bit. Cool if you're into that thing, but I'm getting tired of seeing "multiscale", "fanned-fret", and "headless" in a new product design.

I would have said the same exact thing a year or so ago. Then I bought a headless multi scale fanned fret vader and love it. But I hear you. They are going in a different direction. Apparently all the way to the bank.

Oops you made me type fanned fret. That is someone else intellectual property (Novak) and as a musician I should respect that.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Toptube wrote:But they are both vaguely "X" shape guitars. If you flip an X220 upside down, IMO it is clearly explorer based. Indeed, the X220 is more pointy and emphasizes the X aspect, more. But, if you are someone looking for something kinda like an explorer, the X220 is clearly based on one. And it is what Kiesel currently offers.
922_G_1429848364906.jpg

"So, a completely different model :laughhard: "

And now I have closed this amusing circle.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:37 pm

texastoast wrote:
Sparky131 wrote:Yeah, this is the one thing that's missing from their lineup that's wowing me at this point. TBH, the Zeus reveal was extremely underwhelming for me and started to push me away from the Kiesel fold a bit. Cool if you're into that thing, but I'm getting tired of seeing "multiscale", "fanned-fret", and "headless" in a new product design.

I would have said the same exact thing a year or so ago. Then I bought a headless multi scale fanned fret vader and love it. But I hear you. They are going in a different direction. Apparently all the way to the bank.

Oops you made me type fanned fret. That is someone else intellectual property (Novak) and as a musician I should respect that.

And more power to them, they just don't offer anything new to me...doesn't mean they can't take someone else's money. I'm sure I'll end up with another DC somewhere down the line. I'll go to Chapman or find a used Destroyer to get my explorer fix.

No idea what you mean with Novak. Totally out of the loop there. :lol:
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Novak still owns the trademark to the name "fanned fret". The way I understand it, it was only recently that his patent for multiscale guitars lapsed and that's when other big companies started producing their own...but with the name "multiscale" or "multi-scale".

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Toptube wrote:But they are both vaguely "X" shape guitars. If you flip an X220 upside down, IMO it is clearly explorer based. Indeed, the X220 is more pointy and emphasizes the X aspect, more. But, if you are someone looking for something kinda like an explorer, the X220 is clearly based on one. And it is what Kiesel currently offers.
922_G_1429848364906.jpg

"So, a completely different model :laughhard: "

And now I have closed this amusing circle.

If you are looking for a bass kinda like that Hagstrom-----Kiesel has nothing to offer.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:20 am

I have a Jackson Kelly KEXMG for this reason. Neck thru, double locking setup, and EMGs. Neck dimensions are virtually identical to Carvin/Kiesel. I kept the guitar around as it's surprisingly comfortable, and helped me use wrist and finger action for picking instead of the whole arm. Dislike the look of the thing, as it looks like a guitar hero controller being all white with black pinstriping. The body is basswood and dents too easily. I think it looks a little better than the Explorer, but still pretty strange. Never been a pointy fan due to ergonomics, or how large the bodies are. Ah well, it's fun to play, and for the price, especially used, it's been easy to live with.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm

I always forget about the Kelly due to them seemingly always having a floyd. Then I saw this...

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/sha ... l-mahogany

The only thing stopping me is the lack of a reverse headstock(yeah I know :lol:).
Last edited by Sparky131 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 pm

I always had a soft spot for the Kelly, but as far as "vaguely-explorer-y" type guitars (in the loosest sense of the word), my favorite is still the Mockingbird.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Always makes me think of Derringer's koa Mockingbird. Always saw them as a thing all on their own though, never made me think of an Explorer. But I can see what you mean.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm

I've never thought of one like that, to be honest. I can see it, but then I can't. *shrug*
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 am

Sparky131 wrote:I always forget about the Kelly due to them seemingly always having a floyd. Then I saw this...

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/sha ... l-mahogany

The only thing stopping me is the lack of a reverse headstock(yeah I know :lol:).

They probably have made them that way at one point or another. I wish they made a breadstick with straight string pull (and a headstock, too, thanks autocorrect). Not a fan of the seriously wonked up angles the strings go through on a Jackson, but the locking nut helps resolve that. I'm also a Floyd lover, and own few hard tails..somehow I jus like having the option, even if I don't always use it. Could also look at their Warrior model as it's the same shape with a huge C cut out of the back, making it more like the X220.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:15 am

See, I can't get into the X/Star shaped guitars. I've kicked around the idea of a V220 build for a while, but I just can't get into the shape. The X220 is just too pointy, same with the Warrior, the Kelly has a mix of the two in my eyes - pointy and harkening back to a more classic style that I love, so it's easier for my brain to justify it and say I would play it.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 am

Sparky131 wrote:See, I can't get into the X/Star shaped guitars. I've kicked around the idea of a V220 build for a while, but I just can't get into the shape. The X220 is just too pointy, same with the Warrior, the Kelly has a mix of the two in my eyes - pointy and harkening back to a more classic style that I love, so it's easier for my brain to justify it and say I would play it.

They all look weird to me.

As an aside, I recorded this on my Kelly, and had planned on entering it in the 2017 Kiesel contest, but ran out of time. It was a first-take rough draft after listening to the backing track alone, using the 85 neck pickup, and mostly sloppy noodling. I was going for a weird aspect, since I've never seen anyone use that setup for jazz.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13670328.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars