Which neck profile

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Stevie F

Which neck profile

Postby Stevie F » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 am

Hi I am about to order a SCB 6 and need advice on which neck profile? I have a wide thin PRS hollow body II a lesson Paul standard and a PRS SE 10 profile but I am not familiar with 12 or 14. My hand is not big I mainly play rytham powers rytham as well as some lead work but not shredding metal, hard crunch rock as well as ambient,whats the best do you think for me? I cannot try as I live in south east Asia regards Stevie

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Which neck profile

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 am

The 12 or 14 radius doesn't have anything to do with the neck profile. It's the arch of the fretboard from side to side. A classical guitar for example usually has a flat fretboard while a vintage telecaster might have a 7.25" radius, which is much more arched... But either radius could be paired with a wide, narrow, thin, thick, C, D, or V profile neck.

The PRS SE and Hollowbody II has a 10" radius. Les Paul will typically be 12" radius.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am

Spud that’s the perfect radius description diagram
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 am

dbone wrote:Spud that’s the perfect radius description diagram

Agreed. Thank you.

Stevie F

Postby Stevie F » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 pm

spudmunkey wrote:The 12 or 14 radius doesn't have anything to do with the neck profile. It's the arch of the fretboard from side to side. A classical guitar for example usually has a flat fretboard while a vintage telecaster might have a 7.25" radius, which is much more arched... But either radius could be paired with a wide, narrow, thin, thick, C, D, or V profile neck.

The PRS SE and Hollowbody II has a 10" radius. Les Paul will typically be 12" radius.

Hi Thank you for your valued help. Have you a drawing of a 14"which is offered on most kiesel guitars? Showing the width curvature and depth thickness so I can get a clear understanding for comparison. Thanks again

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Does this help? I couldn't find a version of the above image that had anything much larger because the circle starts to get bigger, and the neck crossection gets smaller.

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Go to guitar center. Pick up a Ibanez play. Put it down. Pick up a Gibson put it down. Go back home to sleep. Wake up pick up Ibanez put down. Pick up Gibson put down.

if you don't know what you like then don't worry about it. It is for players who know what they want and not what will "make " a player.

Stevie F

Postby Stevie F » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 am

Quivering Wrist wrote:Go to guitar center. Pick up a Ibanez play. Put it down. Pick up a Gibson put it down. Go back home to sleep. Wake up pick up Ibanez put down. Pick up Gibson put down.

if you don't know what you like then don't worry about it. It is for players who know what they want and not what will "make " a player.
no I don't know what I want on paper that's why now I can
Quivering Wrist wrote:Go to guitar center. Pick up a Ibanez play. Put it down. Pick up a Gibson put it down. Go back home to sleep. Wake up pick up Ibanez put down. Pick up Gibson put down.

The advice and explanation I have now got from spud I can compare it to the guitars I have ,fortunately I haven't got an inbanez like you. I am certainly not worried concerned yes.
M

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Why don't you learn to play guitar and then decide what you want.

Rialas
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rialas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 am

Quivering Wrist wrote:Why don't you learn to play guitar and then decide what you want.

No one ever stops learning.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars