Bummed I Missed out on M series Gold Covers for my Build

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Jackson928
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bummed I Missed out on M series Gold Covers for my Build

Postby Jackson928 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Man, I am kind of bummed that my order went in and now these covered pups came out. I called and asked but they said they cannot make the change on my build.

I asked about just buying them and sending them with my guitar and I will take the loss and swap them out. But they said the gold covers a $60 a piece (wow!? really) so at $45 per pickup plus $60 per pickup , plus needing to swap out for the same exact pickup kind of sucks. Plus I really rather have them do it in house.

This is my 3rd guitar in a row (less then a year) and I bought all, very high end finishes.

I am even willing to buy another guitar and wait , to do a pickup swap. Order the ones I want on this guitar and then swapt them to the new one.

Any one have any ideas? This build will really look great with gold covered pups...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Bummed I Missed out on M series Gold Covers for my Build

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 pm

The new pickup covers won't fit on the older style pickups. I mean...the pickup pole holes in the new covers wouldn't line up, for starters!

I know they used to do M pickups with the S22 style shiny covers at least twice. Perhaps that's an option to just buy be a set of pickups?

It seems like starting this year, they aren't really doing changes anymore once an order is placed.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:57 am

How long ago did you order? Since they say this is their busiest time of the year, I could maybe understand why they don't want to change an order mid-stream.

BUT, I think I would be a tad frustrated to receive my guitar and immediately ship it back on my dime just to get the new option. I'm with the OP, the pickups are a super important aspect of a guitar for me - I don't want to drop money on a new axe and immediately have to swap out the pickups...........which is probably a moot point since I tend to do that anyway - :wall: :ninja: :D

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:40 am

Jackson928 wrote:Man, I am kind of bummed that my order went in and now these covered pups came out. I called and asked but they said they cannot make the change on my build.

I asked about just buying them and sending them with my guitar and I will take the loss and swap them out. But they said the gold covers a $60 a piece (wow!? really) so at $45 per pickup plus $60 per pickup , plus needing to swap out for the same exact pickup kind of sucks. Plus I really rather have them do it in house.

This is my 3rd guitar in a row (less then a year) and I bought all, very high end finishes.

I am even willing to buy another guitar and wait , to do a pickup swap. Order the ones I want on this guitar and then swapt them to the new one.

Any one have any ideas? This build will really look great with gold covered pups...

There's a long history of people ordering without knowing that in a day or a week a new model or option comes out, and they would have picked the new thing. This is an inherent danger in buying from this amazing company. :) This company does not stand still.

I would bite the bullet and get the covers ordered if that's what you really want. Forget the cost and the ironic situation.

They announced a new policy a while back: no changes to an order once the order is placed, period.

So, we plan our next build!

:)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Jackson928
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jackson928 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:21 am

I would be fine with ordering the pups , I really do not want to rip them out though. Can I take the covers off the pups and simply put them on the ones in the guitar does anyone know?

Also, I was told it is $60 a piece for the covers, but in the builder it looks like $60 for the 2 humbucker set.

If I could order the pups with covers, simply remove the covers and put them on the pups in my guitar and then sell the pups at a discount someone... That would work.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:53 am

Jackson928 wrote:I would be fine with ordering the pups , I really do not want to rip them out though. Can I take the covers off the pups and simply put them on the ones in the guitar does anyone know?

As I mentioned above, their new pickup covers have 6 holes for pickup pole pieces. If you have M22 pickups, those have 22 poles (11 on each coil). They won't line up. At this point, nobody has received covered pickups yet (at least not here or FB, as they were literally just released, so nobody has ripped them apart to see if they would fit on the older 22-pole pickups, which I seem to remember are wider than the newer Kiesel pickups.

Jackson928 wrote:Also, I was told it is $60 a piece for the covers, but in the builder it looks like $60 for the 2 humbucker set.

That makes some sense because when you get a guitar with the pickups, it's $60 for the pair for gold. When options/parts are a part of a guitar order, they are marked down 50%. Just like the cases. Not so if you order parts on their own.

Jackson928 wrote:If I could order the pups with covers, simply remove the covers and put them on the pups in my guitar and then sell the pups at a discount someone... That would work.

If you ordered new pickups with the new covers, they would likely be wax potted unless you got the Holdswroth pickups. So it wouldn't be impossible to switch the covers (ASSUMING THEY ARE EVEN DESIGNED IN A WAY TO REMOVE THEM, WHICH IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE), but would be a little messy and would likely require removing the wax and re-potting them.

To me, it would be way more work to do switch covers than it would be to just swap the pickups.

Another option: I don't remember any specifics, but I BELIEVE I've seen someone who was able to find pickup covers that fit their old Carvin humbuckers. They were just plan covers with no screw holes like Carvin's S22 pickups. I don't rember anything about where they got them, or even if I'm remembering the scenario correctly. If you do get aftermarket covers, you might need new pickups rings. And if you get new pickup rings, they might not have the mounting holes drilled in the right place.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am

Well I understand your frustration, depending on how far along they are in the build process it seems like having a pickup cover change (one of the last things being installed) would be a minor inconvienance for Kiesel to accommodate especially since you’ve been buying a lot of guitars lately.
On the other hand it also opens up a huge conundrum with change orders and people (not you persay) who can’t make up their minds which leads to more opportunities to start messing up orders so I can also understand Kiesels point of view here.
A few years ago a change order was $40.00 plus cost of item if applicable and only available if they had not passed that point in the build or what ever they deemed acceptable. I had a DC600 build at the time and I had them add a 9V battery box to and I caught them in time.
It’s tuff when new things are comming out all the time where you could miss the boat on a new feature.
Ya know you might just want to wait till after NAMM and see what other pickup options are available then buy what you want and swap them out at that point.
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

TylerE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TylerE » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:02 pm

OotMagroot wrote:How long ago did you order? Since they say this is their busiest time of the year, I could maybe understand why they don't want to change an order mid-stream.

That's been policy for a year or so now. No changes, period.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:41 am

Simply return it within 10 days and start over?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Jackson928
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jackson928 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 am

[quote]Simply return it within 10 days and start over?[/qoute]

Ha, Iit is an option 50 build. Not sure I could do that in good conscious unless something else made me very unhappy with the guitar.

Anyone know of any aftermarket covers that fit and work with M series pickups?

Thanks for all the help...

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Have to be a blank, S22 type cover of course devoid of pole-screws. I think Wickid did that, covered an M22SD.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm

I found a few threads from people who did it, but nobody could point to exactly where they got the covers. Some said they THOUGHT they got them from StewMac who has some like that, but if i remember right they also needed new rings because there's were older rings with a tighter opening.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Have to be a blank, S22 type cover of course devoid of pole-screws. I think Wickid did that, covered an M22SD.

Yup, I did - M22T, C22J (I think). And it was sooooo loooong ago, I cannot recall exactly. I, too, had to search for my own info.
I found just a hint of info at the museum, here.
Looks like I used AllParts covers, and just basically slapped 'em on (with some elec tape). (Along with reaming out the clear speed knobs to fit the pots.)
In short, do not expect them to be the same p/ups. The cover changes the character, if not just for the fact it pushes the poles away by the cover thickness (and I did raise my p/ups). I also got a (Carvin-)covered M22SD (2 actually) from another member ... NOT the same as the uncovered. This is probably properly solder-attached and potted. I still have 1 "S22SD" (my term) in my black flame CT6M. Its a weaker, thinner (just a bit) SD. I would prefer the uncovered M22SD (and the uncovered M22T over that).

Here's a (salvaged from bootophucket) pic, of course.

Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 am

Jackson928 wrote:Man, I am kind of bummed that my order went in and now these covered pups came out. I called and asked but they said they cannot make the change on my build.

I feel your pain. About 1 month after I ordered my Icon 5 in 2014, they announced EVO Gold Fret Wire. I like my small size stainless frets. But I would rather have small size EVO Gold frets :stir:

Nowadays, I'm in the habit of asking during my phone calls, if there are any new options ready for primetime, but not yet announced. Because, I'm sure they had that EVO Gold wire in house, when I ordered my Icon :wall: :laughhard:

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 pm

I feel you on this. I ordered my DCM8 with all gold hardware and gold frets and NOW they have gold poles on the Pickups. Would have been the icing on the cake! BUT i received my build before the option was possible.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat, Jackson Dinky 7 with BKP Juggernauts, 2017 Dingwall NG-2 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am

Right there with ya.

Also missed out on gold pole pieces on my gold hw, EVO fretted, KM8.

Also got my vader pre-droptop and even selected certain options i might not have otherwise selected specifically to hide it as I'm not a fan of the 'incomplete top' look (I had to have that lovely Kiesel quilt!).

Dont get me wrong....i love these guitars like they're my kids...heheheh...but i do wish the timing had worked out such that those newer options were avaliable.

Or, pehrhaps less likely, Jeff and team would be a bit more into announcing changes like these well in advance. I get the whole 'surprise' or even the 'never say never' reveals but i can see something like this being a fairly significant negative for some players.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars