Osiris - new model

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Osiris - new model

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 am

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Yes of course they would release this after I blew my money on a used Aries :wall:

At least if you bought used, you'll take a much smaller hit on resale, so there's that. :) And consider this a practice run that will let you find out the exact spec you'd want on a custom shop order. :)

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:Yes of course they would release this after I blew my money on a used Aries :wall:

At least if you bought used, you'll take a much smaller hit on resale, so there's that. :) And consider this a practice run that will let you find out the exact spec you'd want on a custom shop order. :)

I know right? The Aries had to be at least $2800 new. It is in the gallery here on the website. It has a piezo, it has white white back and sides, flamed maple top with white trans paint but its beveled so there is the layer of flame between the trans white, and white back. All gold hardware with pearl tops and tuners. Flamed maple neck with purple heart stripes, treated fretboard without dots, but instead has untreated squares where the staggered dots would be I mean its a fantastic guitar. I got it for less that $1500, I almost feel bad for the seller but I thank him truly from the bottom of my heart. If I wanted and was patient I could probably make a profit from a re-sale but I think this is a keeper!
2017 DCM8
2016 A7H

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 am

Don't feel bad, man. Blowing your load on an Aries (or other model you like) is fine. You can always re-sell, and use the money toward a new one; or just wait a little bit for used Osiris models to pop up. Probably won't take long.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am

I wouldn’t be so sure... I have a few muso friends who’ve been looking for used Vaders for some time... they aren’t sold very often from the look of it.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:15 am

Koshchei wrote:I wouldn’t be so sure... I have a few muso friends who’ve been looking for used Vaders for some time... they aren’t sold very often from the look of it.

Put them onto the Kiesel Buy-Sell-Trade group on FB. There's a little under 300 items for sale, and I stopped counting at 16 Vaders of all kinds (including a lefty, an 8 string or two, a seven, a bass, and lots of 6's) for sale. I got around a 3rd of the way thru the list.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9723423 ... saleposts/

14 for sale on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric ... esel+Vader
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Yeah I have seen plenty of Vader's on Reverb for sure. I would give it a year until there's plenty on sale on the web. It's an addiction man. You get one, you want another. You sell gear to get another, sell one to fund a better one. 2 years ago I would have never spent more than $800 on a guitar because I thought its unnecessary and I could just use the money on other important gear like amps or studio stuff. Now I own an $1800 Dingwall bass, and have spent over $2100 on 2 kiesels (1 new & 1 used). Now I have $1100 saved up towards a headless kiesel with a trem lol.
2017 DCM8
2016 A7H

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Agreed. For a while there were Vaders popping up daily, for ridiculously low prices. When the Tremolos were announced, there was a wave of them. I almost bought one, just to try.
It would make a nice travel guitar.
I'm wondering if they will fill in the Butt, and make a Vader update with the new Tuner Bevel. :?: :think:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:01 pm

I don't expect there to be the swell of sales for the Osiris that we saw on the Vader, The Vader was the first non-Holdsworth headless, so I feel like there was a lot of pent-up demand. It was also the only headless multiscale for a while. The Osiris doesn't have that pent-up demand, necessarily.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Naked Ape wrote:A
I'm wondering if they will fill in the Butt, and make a Vader update with the new Tuner Bevel. :?: :think:

I was looking at the tuner situation on this model. I like the fact that the vader is very open to allow me to really grab onto the tuner. It looks like the bevel will restrict you a bit. Of course I have never seen one in person so I do not know.

I like the look of the vaders. They are novel and different. I can surly understand why some one does not. For the record the tuners being exposed has never been an issue for me. The builder page for this model kind of takes a jab at the vader for that.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I've asked a bunch of times how that tuner cutout feels and if it's an issue, and while many have said that the tuners do hit
their leg, that it hasn't caused any tuning issues.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 pm

I play regular sitting and standing style. If you were prone to playing in the classical position it may be a big issue.
Last edited by texastoast on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I have always liked the look of the Vader, and I don't know if changing the tuner area would make it any more appealing(to me). I just wonder if this is their new thing that gets passed along to already existing models. A choice of both options might boost the Vader sales a bit.? I don't know.
It seems the tuner bevel will be a high wear area, especially for the Thin finish. Even more so for people with large or sausage fingers.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm

I think I need to make a correction. I just saw a namm video that had a crackle Osiris and the tuner access looked more than ample.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:10 am

Doctor Turn wrote:
I don't think I'm going to buy a CS 6. I just don't need another single cut/LP style axe
Thoughts maturing... :think:

I find this very depressing. I was looking forward to your white limba monster. Two thirds of my guitars are probably redundant, but they still feel and sound so different that they always make me play differently.

GuitarAnthony
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitarAnthony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:29 am

The Kiesel/Carvin used market is a cruel one. No give, no mercy.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 am

Doctor Doug wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:
I don't think I'm going to buy a CS 6. I just don't need another single cut/LP style axe

I find this very depressing. I was looking forward to your white limba monster. Two thirds of my guitars are probably redundant, but they still feel and sound so different that they always make me play differently.

Hey man, I appreciate that. And it's not 100% off the table. It was going to be a main gigging guitar, but I've got enough to fill that bill. Also, I expected to be gigging by this point but I'm finding it impossible to find a vocalist front man that's got the sound and the look that I want, because I don't want to sing these songs I'm writing (I don't want to be a front man period, just play in the background these songs). Drums and bass are no problem whatsoever. However I may have found someone yesterday...

I really don't know, with Kiesel. The pickup situation is what kronks it. I need to hear some beryllium demos. I like clean sounds with some meat on the bones, which is why rather than buy yet another strat I went in the direction of a triple P90 driven 25.5 lp style guitar, for single coil sounds.

Those low resistance buckers can start to get into a limpid sort of Gretsch clean tone, which is a great tone to be sure, but not one I want right now. A little too thin.

Overall I'm not the biggest fan of switching out pickups. I like to find guitars that were built with the right pickups in them for a unified sound that's been preconceived... And there are enough of them out there from now and running into the past. I'm not against switching them, or having evolving tastes effect a beloved guitar, but I just don't want to be in danger of falling into a bag of constantly switching out pickups for my brand new guitar. Duncan's and dimarzios and the like can sound awesome in one guitar, put them in another and they just don't cut it. I've seen Duncan Gates sound incredible in one single cut, and fall dead flat in another.

Decisions decisions. It's just of everything that Jeff has built recently, especially the beveled ones, the Osiris is the only one that speaks to me. And I didn't mind playing headless back in the Eighties with that original old school Kramer.. so it's on the table. With 2700 bucks going out next week for this Carr Mercury V --FINALLY!!!--we're talking late spring earliest for another guitar, if at all.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am

Doc, I too am mildly disappointed that the Kiesel version of this may never see the light of day:

If it did, it would surely be in my top 5 Carvin/Kiesel guitars ever.

But I did just get this idea into my head when you said you did not hate the Osiris: What about simply taking the same specs? O6: White limba body, vintage yellow, cream pickups (or the new brushed nickel covers), (potentially royal) ebony board, mop dots, aaaand aftermarket amber knobs. :drool:

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I don't think I'm going to buy a CS 6. I just don't need another single cut/LP style axe

I need to hear some beryllium demos. I like clean sounds with some meat on the bones, which is why rather than buy yet another strat I went in the direction of a triple P90 driven 25.5 lp style guitar, for single coil sounds.

Those low resistance buckers can start to get into a limpid sort of Gretsch clean tone, which is a great tone to be sure, but not one I want right now. A little too thin.

Doc,

There is a video from NAMM on the Kiesel FB page with Brandon (I think) playing a CS6 with Berylliums. Sounds like Jazz in the neck and a clanky PAF in the bridge position.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I checked it out, but with the room noise and the excessive rolloff for most of it, I can't really say much about it as an all around PAF sub.

Doug and Ilyti, you guys are killing me, you're reigniting the picture I've had in my head of that meticulously crafted CS of all korina, binding effect against vintage yellow, trad headstock, and.. the "right' pickups.

As sweet as an all korina Osiris would be I'd probably stick with alder or Jeff's choice of ash as default, maybe a maple or korina top? The question there would also be pickups. Since it's a bolt on 25.5" scale, the idea would be to push as far into telecaster country as I could. The idea behind not just grabbing an actual sixties Baja is the light ease of gigging with a headless. The portability for the reality of modern day gigging is what put me on the Mercury V, so this would be right up that alley.

I'm thinking along the same lines as I was on the CS, just biting the bullet and sending in pickups.. in this case a Lundgren P90 for the neck and a Lundgren Broadcaster Alnico III Vertigo in the bridge.. that would be a beautiful beast of a gigging workhorse. :applause: :think:

Don't know if it would even be possible to go wrong with this combination.... Think I'll finally get back on the Kiesel family train this year.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:40 am

I’m not sure they’re too worried about Vader sales because anyone who buys one of these instead is still buying a Kiesel. I’m dying now because I don’t know what I want between a Vader and an Osiris now. Oh decisions decisions.
2017 DCM8
2016 A7H

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars