Beryllium Pickup chat

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Beryllium Pickup chat

Postby texastoast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:00 am

I see his point. We all hear and want differently.

I find almost all demos are just a baseline for me. I do not hold much stock in them. I use them more to just flat out reject something as not for me. Other wise I find it a leap of faith especially when it comes to pickups. I always find something I like and do not like in almost any pickup. Some I warm up to even after my initial impression was not great.

No matter what I play I tend to sound like me. I have seldom had the exact results as a video or sound clip. Unless they are using my fingers through my cord running into my amp that I adjusted the eq on, it has too many variables. Plus they rarely play my style.
I do like watching them however just for geeky entertainment and general knowledge.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Tomorrow will mark two months since the beryllium was officially announced. Two months since I ordered the pickup. Two months since I was charged for the pick up. Still nothing......................

I could have had a custom wound by just about anybody in two months.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm

I would call and ask what’s up. That’s a long time to wait.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Your first sentence, but with c22's replaced by M22's. The C's often lack girth and add a little more high/mids versus a PAF ish bucker. They always just sort of struck me as a thing into themselves.

Very smart indeed to stick these in as standard issue in a CS line model. Putting the lithiums in there seemed a little incongruous at best.

Brock wrote:You know, I've always wanted to try the M22's. I read a lot of good things about them.

I liked the video for the Beryllium pickups, and agree that they sound better than the Lithium. Mostly, they remind me of a "jazzy" style pickup. Definitely lower output, and brighter, but somehow they still miss the spark the M22 series has, or maybe my ear is missing something. Could be the Youtube compression, too.

The more I play with M-loaded guitars, the more I like them. I think if I had to order a new guitar, I'd be looking at these Beryllium models more closely. Worst case would then be that I break out a spare set of Ms from my closet and and replace the Berylliums with the old pickups. After having spent more time with them, I don't think one can go wrong with either M22V or N. They're both just phenomenal. The M22T is a jack-of-all-trades, and worth trying, but by no means quite as good as the M22SD. The N also has enough output to function as a low output bridge pickup, and would probably mix very well with singles, not overpowering.

I'll look for more videos of the new pickups, though I think they are promising.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Your first sentence, but with c22's replaced by M22's. The C's often lack girth and add a little more high/mids versus a PAF ish bucker. They always just sort of struck me as a thing into themselves.

Very smart indeed to stick these in as standard issue in a CS line model. Putting the lithiums in there seemed a little incongruous at best.

Brock wrote:You know, I've always wanted to try the M22's. I read a lot of good things about them.

The more I play with M-loaded guitars, the more I like them. I think if I had to order a new guitar, I'd be looking at these Beryllium models more closely. Worst case would then be that I break out a spare set of Ms from my closet and and replace the Berylliums with the old pickups. After having spent more time with them, I don't think one can go wrong with either M22V or N. They're both just phenomenal. The M22T is a jack-of-all-trades, and worth trying, but by no means quite as good as the M22SD. The N also has enough output to function as a low output bridge pickup, and would probably mix very well with singles, not overpowering.

I'll look for more videos of the new pickups, though I think they are promising.

That's my plan with my next build. Beryliums and swap 'em if need be.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 pm

I think they are confused at Kiesel. I called and asked again what the hold up was. Apparently they stopped making them? Maybe just in the multi 7 I do not know. Anyway, they refunded my money. Told me to go fish. One more straw on this already fatigued camels back.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm

texastoast wrote:I think they are confused at Kiesel. I called and asked again what the hold up was. Apparently they stopped making them? Maybe just in the multi 7 I do not know. Anyway, they refunded my money. Told me to go fish. One more straw on this already fatigued camels back.

At least they didn't say "Go 'F' yourself."

So, no multi 7 berylliums?

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
texastoast wrote:So, no multi 7 berylliums?

Nope. I asked if they had anything other than the lithium and they did not. The sales guy Keith was great as usual. I think he was in the dark as well. Not his fault. Builder shows holdsworth so I inquired about them. They do not exist either. :?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Don't know whether to laugh or :wall:

I'm already aggravated today because of a fiasco with FB on a column I'm launching. This story just makes me ill. I just am growing more and more snippy lately, and stories like TT's experience here irks me.. and this is a good American company, to boot!

I hope this all shakes out for the good in the end, somehow, bro.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 pm

texastoast wrote:I think they are confused at Kiesel. I called and asked again what the hold up was. Apparently they stopped making them? Maybe just in the multi 7 I do not know. Anyway, they refunded my money. Told me to go fish. One more straw on this already fatigued camels back.

Ughh sorry to hear that, well at least you know and can move on.

I would still like to hear what the Bertlliums in a 6 string sound like through a high gain amp for reference, they sound pretty good clean but I want to know if they have deviant tendencies or are only for sunday school. What do the sound like playing Van Halen or Metallica type rhythm guitar.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Don't know whether to laugh or :wall:

I'm already aggravated today because of a fiasco with FB on a column I'm launching. This story just makes me ill. I just am growing more and more snippy lately, and stories like TT's experience here irks me.. and this is a good American company, to boot!

I hope this all shakes out for the good in the end, somehow, bro.

How about laugh-crying? Some might perceive it as a bit unhinged, but...what the heck, why not in this day and age?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote: laugh-crying?

It's like if the interrobang were an emotion.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm

"I.. I just don't know anymore," Doctor Turn said, looking up from his new guitar with empty pickup cavities. "Everything just seems to be--" lipquiver-- "seems to be," and then his voice trailed off as he fell into a thousand yard stare. He muttered something gloomy and unintelligible.

"Hey now," said Bertha-Gladys von Furdurbadurt, rubbing his back. She put her chin on his shoulder, her eyes filling up with glassy tears, and peered into his vacant face. "Hey now!" she pleaded, "Don't be that way. Things will get all like, totally alnico dos soon enough. Trust me." But her face didn't agree with her words. She wept loudly and her guts burbled loudly with gas. Flatulence with a yet-undetermined exit.

Doctor Turn smiled at the sound. Bertha-Gladys SMILED THROUGH HER TEARS.

[APPLAUSE. Curtain. Exeunt nobly.]
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:32 pm

I bet the gas was causing the tears. "Gas cramps are no bueno," said the partially blind man hiding in the corner of the room. "Bueno means 'good' in Mexican. I used to teach that. I talk good Mexican."

You see, Dr. Turn's "laboratory" (A.K.A. his bedroom) is full of interesting people. A gimp hides in one corner (not THE gimp from a certain Tarantino movie, mind you), another whose face looks vaguely like Jacques Cousteau's, only if he had walked into a propeller, and another yet-unnamed personage who loved putting lotion in baskets. They speak to him in dreams, you see. Sometimes they tell him simple things, such as "You'll shoot your eye out," as he tightens a string just a little above pitch. Other times they may clamor "Great jeeeeeoooooooorrrrrb boss." Sometimes their head asplodes as they gather round and watch re-runs of Strong Bad's emails.

They all sing along, saying the lyrics "Come on Fhqwhgads, I see you jockin' me. Trying to play like, you know me."

A riff is born from such a song. A tear is shed (yet again from the flatulent one). All is right in the world, and it keeps on Turning (pun intended).

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:56 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:They all sing along, saying the lyrics "Come on Fhqwhgads, I see you jockin' me. Trying to play like, you know me."

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:53 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote: Sometimes their head asplodes as they gather round and watch re-runs of Strong Bad's emails.

Da wa quite the asplotion, meester!

(--"Un-Assploded Cow, recovered partial manuscript, Tikrit excavation, ca. 3006 B.C. The Sumerian Sunday Comics "Gilgamesh Alley.")
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 am

For some reason, those images are broken, and not showing. Dang.

I used to write dimwitted stories years ago based on dreams. Most of them broke the 4th wall, some within the first paragraph, so I never took any of it seriously. However, with my son around, I'm sure they'll come out to give him something to dream on.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am

That's weird. I'm looking at it on mobile right now.

It's a guy with his butt blowing up into flames. Asploded.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Consider this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNcStdF_Ok

Late 90s/ early 2000s internet entertainment at its finest.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Hmm, well I can see the asplotion on both mobile and on desktop. Somethin up on your end. Did you remember to turn off your asplotion filter?

(Formally and officially, :hijack:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars