Beryllium Pickup chat

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Beryllium Pickup chat

Postby wickid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 pm

... But what about those Berylliums?? ...
:lol: :twisted:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 pm

I wonder if maybe it's a supplier issue? :think:

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:54 am

spudmunkey wrote:I wonder if maybe it's a supplier issue? :think:

I am not as optimistic as you spud. My guess is Namm is over so why worry.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:03 pm

A Zeus with Berylliums is featured in today's "Guitar of the week" video on Facebook...through a Kemper, into a phone, streamed over the internet, through Facebook's compression...so...take it for what you will. Ha!

https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/videos/2062827147333910/

shotaroriani2

Postby shotaroriani2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm

That sounds fantastic. I'd order a Multi-scale 8 in a heartbeat if they offered Berylliums on them.

I guess I'll play the waiting game till then... :wall:

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 am

spudmunkey wrote:A Zeus with Berylliums is featured in today's "Guitar of the week" video on Facebook...through a Kemper, into a phone, streamed over the internet, through Facebook's compression...so...take it for what you will. Ha!

https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/videos/2062827147333910/

Given all of those caveats, makes me glad to say facebook schmacebook. :P :wink:
(Still would've liked to hear it. :( )

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 am

You can get a decent idea of what it sounds like, it's general voice at least, from the demo. For a phone recording, it's not as bad as it can often get.

Sounds nice. Not mind blowing, but at the same time there's no underestimating the effect of an amp on a guitar demo. You can find 58 Explorers, V's, and Les Pauls (which are up the same sonic alley as that Z6) that sound like awful phlegm, owing the amp/settings.

I think the Beryls show a lot of promise.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Dr. Rock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dr. Rock » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Just got a Beryllium bridge in an HSS loaded pickguard. Played for a few days. Sounds great! Warm, round low end. A distict clear high, so not muddy. Relatively low output - matches well with the lithium singles. Has a midrangey growl on the lows with overdrive. Maybe more like the old H22B (had one in a DC). Definitely more of a "classic rock" vibe, but not really like a PAF. Sounds good though!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am

A pretty good video, going through medium gain, clean, higher gain, all pickup positions, on an Aries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxLO9qS5pU

In his video description, the video creator wrote:Finally getting around to doing a Play-though using different tones with the Kiesel Beryllium Pickups. Tried to cover the basics... quick & simple. (not great, but to the point) You'll get the point.

These pickups have a nice tone... cover a pretty wide musical spectrum.
This is the my first attempt at this type of demo/review.

This Kiesel Aries (A6x) has an alder body, maple regular neck profile, 12in radius, med jumbo stainless steel frets, standard ebony fretboard, weighs right at 8lb, w/ Pearl Blue satin finish.

The Classic and clean tones are through Steven Slate's S-Gear... High gain is through Bias FX.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:27 am

Now that's how you do a pickup demo video!!! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:34 am

/\ That was good and kinda gave me an idea what they may be like. 8)
Like another clip, it kinda reminds me of a kicked-up version of my A2 magnet SD Phat Cats.
but ... (this is the internet and I can criticize, I'll be that guy, or put another way ...)
Not really to criticize this clip per se (thanks for the demo, truly), but in general I wish p/up demos could do without the delay, maybe even the reverb if that's not too dry. Perhaps save the wailing leads splashed with FX until the last clip. While not over the top here (and even sounds good), they do color the sound we get. I just wish it was a series of dry demos, followed by the "band mix" solos. :twisted:

And another observation of the C/K H-H 5-way tones (just to my ears), ...
I can never figure out how I feel about the pos 3 series tone. I run hot/cold on that and had a Bolt wired that way, and my ST300 is that way. It switches from thick (HB), thinner (single), thick again (mid, series), thinner (single), thick again. It depends on the day and my mood, and even sometimes I tire of the pos 3 series after a while.
Anyway, my unsolicited 2 centavos.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:48 am

Position 4 FTW! That neck pup splits nicely, at least on his setup.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:51 am

wickid wrote:

Like another clip, it kinda reminds me of a kicked-up version of my A2 magnet SD Phat Cats.

I can see that. Especially for the bridge. I found the Beryllium neck pickup in that video to have a little more more clarity to it than the Phat Cat neck pickup.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:00 pm

wickid wrote:
/\ That was good and kinda gave me an idea what they may be like. 8)
but ... (this is the internet and I can criticize, I'll be that guy, or put another way ...)
Not really to criticize this clip per se (thanks for the demo, truly), but in general I wish p/up demos could do without the delay, maybe even the reverb if that's not too dry. Perhaps save the wailing leads splashed with FX until the last clip. While not over the top here (and even sounds good), they do color the sound we get. I just wish it was a series of dry demos, followed by the "band mix" solos. :twisted:

And another observation of the C/K H-H 5-way tones (just to my ears), ...
I can never figure out how I feel about the pos 3 series tone. I run hot/cold on that and had a Bolt wired that way, and my ST300 is that way. It switches from thick (HB), thinner (single), thick again (mid, series), thinner (single), thick again. It depends on the day and my mood, and even sometimes I tire of the pos 3 series after a while.
Anyway, my unsolicited 2 centavos.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I salute the guy for not going bananas with the effects in his digital suite, but the sound is flat and devoid of the depth I'm used to hearing. Anemic, but I'm a tube guy thru and thru when it comes to these "classic" style tones he's going for, and like Nutrisweet or Stevia I can taste it immediately.

That aside it's an interesting sound, because the mags create a very Fenderish split tone--the scale length and the guitar help that along a good bit.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:That aside it's an interesting sound, because the mags create a very Fenderish split tone--the scale length and the guitar help that along a good bit.

You'd think that....but that's basically how how they sound in my DC127 when they are split, and that's a neck-through 25" scale with a 'hog neck. The Berrys are exceptional splitters.

I think the video does a good job of showcasing the basic characteristics of the Lithiums, though I agree with wickid on the effects usage. Hopefully you guys can pick up on some of the 'hot Tele' vibe that they have a bit of going on. I'm really enjoying mine. They have an articulation and detail and punch without being too hot. They definitely aren't PAFs. They are more like a crunchier Alnico II Pro but EQ'd a little differently. I honestly have no desire to change mine out.

And extra points to the player in the video throwing out some old King's X. I had completely forgotten about Over My Head. Great riff.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:23 am

GuitFiddle wrote:...
And extra points to the player in the video throwing out some old King's X. I had completely forgotten about Over My Head. Great riff.

Inspired me to breakout an old compilation CD I made and workout to it last nite, skips stutters and all (yeah, its an old CD). 8)

Back on track, played my CT324 w/Phat Cats last nite, and these Beryls were not really all that much more kicked up. 8)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:41 am

spudmunkey wrote:A pretty good video, going through medium gain, clean, higher gain, all pickup positions, on an Aries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxLO9qS5pU

In his video description, the video creator wrote:Finally getting around to doing a Play-though using different tones with the Kiesel Beryllium Pickups. Tried to cover the basics... quick & simple. (not great, but to the point) You'll get the point.

These pickups have a nice tone... cover a pretty wide musical spectrum.
This is the my first attempt at this type of demo/review.

This Kiesel Aries (A6x) has an alder body, maple regular neck profile, 12in radius, med jumbo stainless steel frets, standard ebony fretboard, weighs right at 8lb, w/ Pearl Blue satin finish.

The Classic and clean tones are through Steven Slate's S-Gear... High gain is through Bias FX.

I really don't see the point of tone demos like this that are without ERG chugging, without neo-classical shredding, and without a play over example with a rhythm section firing 32nd notes of 40caliber belt-fed ammo in a 2-man weapon system at about 105bpm. I mean, this bedroom tone sampling stuff just isn't helpful to any real player. Oh well, the interwebs have literally everything.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

ghostryder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ghostryder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 am

At least he starts out somewhat clean. I think his intention was to go clean and then go overdrive-- and it's at least far superior to any others I've seen where from the get go it'a AxeFX...which may showcase the AxeFX but sure doesn't tell you much about anything else.

He later changed out the pick ups as he thought they were too bright. Given the Alder body on the aries I thought that was strange because the same pickups are in an ASH GH3 behind him and he says those sounded fine.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:10 am

ghostryder wrote:At least he starts out somewhat clean. I think his intention was to go clean and then go overdrive

He starts out with some drive, then goes clean from 2:20-ish to 3:50-ish, then goes to his lead tone.

ghostryder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ghostryder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Yeah..well...I'm dyslexic :shh:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars