16 string Zeus/Osiris hybrid

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

16 string Zeus/Osiris hybrid

Postby JCG » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm

16.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: 16 string Zeus/Osiris hybrid

Postby ilyti » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:55 pm

SO.... you play it like a Chapman stick and just tap everything? With the plank between the necks, that's the only way I can make sense of this thing. The top neck seems completely inaccessible to the fretting hand.

Or perhaps, the top neck is only for sympathetic drone notes. In that case, why bother with frets?

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby JCG » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 pm

maxresdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm

I'd be using it as a lap steel ha ha
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:52 pm

What a terrible waste of pretty wood.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:06 am

It was built for this guy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdvUv1j5dg/

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 am

It was built for this guy:

Video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdvUv1j5dg/

Screenshot_20180128-071135.jpg

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am

That’s nuts. I couldn’t begin to wrap my brain around that kind of coordination for tapping with both hands that way.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat, Jackson Dinky 7 with BKP Juggernauts, 2017 Dingwall NG-2 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 am

Just goes to show how it hits people when you transfer the ideas from one instrumentI and apply them on another. It's kind of basic piano coordination applied to the guitar. Could I sit down and do it now? No, you'd need to devote lots of time to developing this muscle memory in this position on this instrument.

That out of the way, playing separate and complimentary lines on an instrument is.. normal. Taking even something like fats Domino boogie woogie and tapping it out on an instrument like this will sound and look wild to folks. We've also seen guys tap and hammer on one guitar hanging on their body, and tap and hammer on another mounted on a stand or laid flat in front of them.

He seems to have carved out a niche for himself with this, which is cool.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 am

Wonder what that one cost?
Pretty crazy/cool. At first I thought it was some crazy mock up, I’ve seen instruments like this before just didn’t really think Jeff would build one for such a niche type instrument. But with a serious buyer and a can do/up to the challenge attitude well there ya go LOL sweet!
Beautiful Work Jeff!
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Ormsby did a similar NAMM build with more strings
Must be the year to dare to be stupid :mrgreen: :laughhard:

uFsipYMbh4cMAU7Fcp4ZPK-320-80.jpg

If I wanted to go that route I'd rather get a harpejji.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Yuuup.

To me this is all the video game obsession mindset continuing it's natural evolution though music. Coordination between eye and hand/wrist, rapid fire tap tap tap that are as disposable and meaningless as progress in a video game... Twitch run through setups, awe struck youth totally into it. Everything based on cramming as much attention getting content into a short video that quickly communicates "see what I can do now that you can't do right now?" And completely forgotten two minutes later like a thousand other useless competitive videos flowing from that American Idol mentality of Me! Me! competition.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:02 pm

That ormbsy one is a djent meme for a youtuber as a joke. Kiesel's is for sometime who actually uses the instrument and has for years. I thunk that's an imports distinction to make.

Interestingly, that ormbsy ha a stone top, and I THINK the fretboard inlay is the face of the guy who ripped off Jared Dines.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Yuuup.

To me this is all the video game obsession mindset continuing it's natural evolution though music. Coordination between eye and hand/wrist, rapid fire tap tap tap that are as disposable and meaningless as progress in a video game... Twitch run through setups, awe struck youth totally into it. Everything based on cramming as much attention getting content into a short video that quickly communicates "see what I can do now that you can't do right now?" And completely forgotten two minutes later like a thousand other useless competitive videos flowing from that American Idol mentality of Me! Me! competition.

I think it was my generation that destroyed good music. I remember when I was in high school and Nirvana first hit it big. And then all the grunge bands that followed after...at first I liked it. But after a few years it really got to me. The music was drab. And depressing. It's lost it's soul. It stirred dark and negative emotions.

Anyway I went back to what I always liked..music from the 1950's up to the 80's. The music was upbeat and happy and gave you a good feeling all around. Plus people could sing like they meant it.

I don't want to ramble on about the good ol' days because I do like some new music today. I just prefer the older stuff and you got me thinking how much music has changed.

Be excellent to each other and...PARTY ON DUDE!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Well, all revolutions eat themselves, and all pop trends get beaten into the ground with soulless recycling of the same thing being hammered repeatedly.

What's really seemed to change was the process: that things don't seem to rise up from the streets any longer to take over the world... punk from the streets of NYC and London in the 70's, prog from the UK, hip hop from the Bronx in the 70's/80's.. the heavy music from Seattle (I hate the word Grunge) with AIC, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, Nirvana, and those that followed.

Nowadays all the music is primarily top down from producers and corporations, rather than coming up from the streets. Which is why it "feels like it's all been done before and there's nothing left to invent." (Which is a rank lie, but I hear it all the time). There are lots of little things happening in various corners of the web, but very little of it gets taken up because of the fear of labels in losing money. The whole structure is so different today. It's just not conducive to the stuff we're talking about here making it out there.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1433616163415847&set=p.1433616163415847&type=3&theater

Looks like it's real spud.

I actually saw the video from Nam where they unveiled it with Jared. What I meant was, its existence is basically a meme. It was built entirely as a joke. Jared wanted a 7-string guitar built... As a joke, making fun of extended-range guitars with lots of strings, for 2017. After he got ripped off, ormsby offered to work with him on building an 18 string for 2018... And here we are. Entirely for a joke video, for views, on a comedy music channel. This is not meant to launch a new market segment, or give any hints into new product developments or Trends in the industry.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Then you might, though you obviously don't have to, explain that on Rod's post here. I passed along your earlier info and slightly misunderstood what you meant above in your original comment that it was a meme. I thought it was a fake image, and I don't want to misquote again.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars