I need help with my Vader VM7

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Prevention
Carvinite
Carvinite

I need help with my Vader VM7

Postby Prevention » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:36 am

I knew the day would come but I was afraid of it... I have to change my strings and the new bridge plus being a headless is a little intimidating to me. I have the manual, but I still feel kinda nervous about it.

Do you have any tips on changing the strings for these? Will I need to clip the strings with pliers so it isn't too long?

But mostly, what strings would you recommend that I pick up? I currently have the Carvin 10s on it, but I want to put .9s on my vader as that is what I prefer. Over on 7string people talked about how you need to get different thickness strings to make up for tension, but since I have a multiscale is that necessary? Should I get thinner strings then?

Thank you

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: I need help with my Vader VM7

Postby ilyti » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Have you seen this?

viewtopic.php?f=10&p=568656#p568656

Regarding string gauges, I wouldn't do anything just because the community of ss.org says so. I've found it rather full of one-up-man-ship like "I have more strings than you!" "Well I tune lower than you!" "Oh yea? I got thicker strings than you!" "That's nothin', I got longer scale length than you!" It's quite pointless doing something like choosing string gauges just to keep up with the crowd. Get what feels/sounds right to you. A regular set of 9s, or maybe hybrid 9-56 might be just fine, depending on the tuning.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Absolutely this!

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEIS4cx852k

This video is for a bass but it is, in essence the same for a guitar. And yes, Albert does pull the strings down in the top retainers on the guitar too... I asked. :D

So, go slowly and, before you remove the ball from the bridge look and see how they are inserted. If necessary take a few pics so you have a reference.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:22 am

I have a VM8 and have tried several different strings/brands. I have settled on the D'Addario NYXL 09/80 strings. They are very easy to bend. I can almost bend strings as good as I can with my Les Paul. The larger gauge 8th string tightens up the bottom a little.

Changing strings on the headless is a little weird the first time compared to a standard guitar. I just watched that video Kiesel published and had no problems.

It took me a while to get used to the headless tuners but guitar is so stable I only have to make minor adjustments to keep it in tune.

The verdict on ERG's is still out for me. I love the guitar but it is definitely harder to play than a standard 6. I have small hands so it is a bit of a work out. The VM8 keeps winning the guitar battle at my house at the moment. It is a remarkable instrument.

If Kiesel offered a 6 string 24 3/4 scale Vader, I would order one. I have fond memories of my CM130 I bought when I was a kid.

Prevention
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Prevention » Thu May 10, 2018 5:37 am

so I did a little more researching.

I'm deciding between these : https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... ar-strings

which are .09-.54

and these which are .09-.52 : https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... ar-strings

I could also get ones with .9-58 and 9-60 but being that my Vader is multiscale I think I'm going to settle with a lower gauge because I rather the tension be more balanced across the neck :)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars