Been Away For Too Long - Need Suggestions

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MrGamingGuitarist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Been Away For Too Long - Need Suggestions

Postby MrGamingGuitarist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello everybody! I just logged back on to this forum for the first time since 2012! The last time I logged on I was 18, and now I'm going to turn 24 in a few months. How fast time flies! To this day, I still only have one Carvin guitar and it's a V220 in Radiation Green that I ordered in 2011. It's still my best guitar and I've gotten a few more since then, but I still would never give up my V220 no matter what happens. It's like family to me. I'm currently thinking about getting my first Kiesel guitar, and I'm debating between getting an Osiris, Vader, or Vanquish. One thing I do know for certain is no matter what, I want my next guitar to be pink. I've never owned a headless guitar before, let alone seen one in person. I like the idea of a headless guitar being more compact and making it easier to travel with. But on the other hand, if I want to save money, I can go with a Vanquish since it starts at $999 and I've heard the Vanquish is the guitar with a head that's the most "headless" sized of all the Kiesels, being more compact. What are your suggestions? I'd love to hear them!

PS: I'm so happy to be back on this forum!

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Been Away For Too Long - Need Suggestions

Postby kdawg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Welcome back! My best suggestion would be to check out all the tone examples you can find on YouTube. I believe the Osiris and Vanquish are bolt on, while the Vader is neck-thru. I'm assuming there are some tonal differences due to the neck construction alone. Good luck and let us all know what you decide.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

Welcome back.

I own a vader and love the headless thing. I'm an old geezer and have taken to them. I see me buying more. I by the way went all out and bought a headless mutiscale seven string. Convention be dammed.
When you play them you cannot believe how free you are with out the head. I play wireless and it make it less nerve racking walking around the kitchen while I play. That being said they are full size guitars. Just minus the head. That alone does indeed make them easier to travel. But it is no means like the standard traveling guitars.

I do not think anyone can tell you what model to get besides yourself. Do not skimp. But if the vanquish suits your needs no reason to spend more. But I think you are ready to try the headless. The starting prices are only a few hundred more. No regrets is worth that. But again only you know your wants and budget.

Good problem to have. Good luck solving it. Looking forward to the end results no matter what it is.

here is a teaser.pink in stock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:51 pm

They have a fairly new Light Pink, which is excellent. It may also be a "pearl" finish. Or the light pearl pink could be a separate color which also exists. I'm unsure. I would ask the guys.
Light pink
https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargal ... 00c-lp.jpg

Pearl pink
viewtopic.php?t=48240

They also have a trans pink, which is a fairly bright and bold pink. Would look great over ash, for a simple build. They also do that over sparkle, for a fantastic pink sparkle.

trans pink
https://images.talkbass.com/attachments ... pg.683745/

trans pink sparkle
https://reverb.com/uk/item/6195490-kies ... up-upgrade

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargal ... allery.jpg

You could also get a purpleheart top, which gives a sort of pink/magenta color. Looks super great.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:19 pm

solid bright pink in raw tone (so its matte finish)
https://www.kieselguitars.com/images/gu ... 37585b.jpg

bright pink in gloss
https://www.kieselguitars.com/images/gu ... 33647b.jpg

http://kieselguitarsbbs.com/userpix/138 ... 12_n_1.jpg

If you go with the hot pink solid, I would do it with an black ebony board and black blocks, like this Yellow Vader which I have always loved:
11372280_835641329856804_1515826822_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Theres a pink colored Zeus in AAT is really cool

dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

MrGamingGuitarist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MrGamingGuitarist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures. As far as solid colors go, I definitely would want to get hot pink. I called Kiesel and was told that a solid hot pink finish costs $100, and getting a candy pink finish in quilted maple would cost $600, and getting a hot pink sparkle finish is $600. This guitar I'm dreaming of is starting to become a lot more expensive than I once thought! Because I REALLY like that candy pink over quilted maple and I REALLY like the pink sparkle.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Kiesel hot pink is pretty awesome for the $100, all objectives achieved at a very reasonable cost.
Their pink sparkle finish looks great also but I understand $600 is a lot when looking at the big financial picture.
I’m pretty sure you could get the hot pink in a pearl if that interests you. I’m guessing somewhere between those two extremes.
You just have to ask them and see if they would do it.
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:22 pm

If I remember right, if you just went with a solid custom color, it's $200, and a metallic version of the same color would be $300. I imagine having them make a metallic version of any of their standard colors, would be no more than 300.

MrGamingGuitarist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MrGamingGuitarist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

After thinking about it, I've got it down between either the Vanquish or the Vader. I've seen lots of videos on YouTube on the Vader, but there aren't a whole lot of videos I can find on the Vanquish. Can any Vanquish owners tell me about your general impressions on it? Is the Vanquish comfortable to play for long periods of time?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm

MrGamingGuitarist wrote:After thinking about it, I've got it down between either the Vanquish or the Vader. I've seen lots of videos on YouTube on the Vader, but there aren't a whole lot of videos I can find on the Vanquish. Can any Vanquish owners tell me about your general impressions on it? Is the Vanquish comfortable to play for long periods of time?

There should be a couple of videos on their FB. You'll probably need to look at their videos section with a computer. FB likes to hide video sections, on mobile.

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 am

I've a V8 that I love dearly. It is wonderfully easy to play for very long periods of time. Black limba body, flamed maple neck with black limba fillets, magnificent(!) quilted maple top and a rosewood fretboard.

The first thing I noted when unpacking, and still do to this day, is the weight. I didn't even get a hollow body and it's still balances out to just at 6.5lbs/3kg (that's also an 8 string with the wider neck profile, more wood adding to the weight, etc.).

Zero neck dive without the headstock of course. The difference in length is also very nice. It may not be a "true" travel guitar but it most certainly IS the perfect 'couch practice' guitar. A tightly confined practice space or small studio is a perfect home for a headless.

Also, the Hipshot tuners are very stable - my Vader stays in tune better than any of my other non-locking, non-Kiesels. The pegs do tend to 'settle' such that, when you go to tune after some time, you'll overshoot a few cents initially, but it's exceedingly easy to control very subtle adjustments. I've also not noticed any grip issues with the pegs themselves.

Oh, and pardon the shallowness but, for the vocal minority who thinks the Vader has a resemblance to a certain male anatomy, I've always found the Vader to look more obviously like a certain female anatomy...very healthy female anatomy I might add.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars