Bit of trouble with customer service.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

God of War
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 2017

Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby God of War » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm

They're probably pretty busy, so I get that. But I called for the first time a little while ago(think it was the first day of Winter NAMM) to ask some questions. Most of them were answered, but the guy on the other line said he'd have to follow-up with an email and gave me his email address.

I asked about a custom control layout and he said he'd get back to me... Tuesday. I sent a reminder email a couple of days ago... nothing.

Again, they're probably pretty busy, but it comes across a little rude and lacking in good customer service to tell someone you're going to email them with an answer and not do it.

Jeff's always saying "If you have a question, call my guys", so I did.

Are custom controls that difficult that he needs so much time to ask and get back to me?

It's leaving a bit of a bad taste in my mouth tbh. This is a pretty big part of what I'm hoping to add to two of my builds, I'd like to have it answered so I can know whether they can deliver on what I'm asking.
Saving up for:

JB200C
DC700C: Purple Quilt, Trans Black Burst and Gold Hardware

MrGamingGuitarist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Houston

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby MrGamingGuitarist » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 pm

What kind of custom controls were you wanting? Was it like an out of phase or using two inner or outer coils on humbuckers on a five way switch?

God of War
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby God of War » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm

MrGamingGuitarist wrote:What kind of custom controls were you wanting? Was it like an out of phase or using two inner or outer coils on humbuckers on a five way switch?

It's kind of like, if I understand them correctly, what Guthrie Govan has on his signature Charvel.

HSH Pup layout, with a coil split for the Hums and I wanted to be able to add Acoustic Saddles and Output with it's own miniswitch and everything that comes with that.

Very versatile guitars are what I'm after.

It'd basically be able to offer me HSH pups aswell as SSS pups with the coil split and Acoustic Output.

It's pretty complicated I'd bet, but he's had several days to ask and get back to me, more than he said he'd need.
Saving up for:

JB200C
DC700C: Purple Quilt, Trans Black Burst and Gold Hardware

God of War
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby God of War » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm

Image

This basically, with the AS.
Saving up for:

JB200C
DC700C: Purple Quilt, Trans Black Burst and Gold Hardware

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15934
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:44 pm

That diagram's labels are wrong. This would be coil splitting, not tapping. :stir:

God of War
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby God of War » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:23 am

spudmunkey wrote:That diagram's labels are wrong. This would be coil splitting, not tapping. :stir:

Fair enough, but you get the point.
Saving up for:

JB200C
DC700C: Purple Quilt, Trans Black Burst and Gold Hardware

God of War
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby God of War » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 am

Forget that diagram.

1CarvinJasonBecker1.jpg


This is what I'm talking about essentially, just drew this on Microsoft Paint, yes, looks like an 8 year old drew it. :laughhard:

Serious question, is that asking too much?

Would be good to have a mini switch like on the JB200C for both H pups, so that I could switch quickly between a Bridge H and a split Neck H quickly by having one engaged already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saving up for:

JB200C
DC700C: Purple Quilt, Trans Black Burst and Gold Hardware

User avatar
Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1511
Joined: Feb 2013

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby Toptube » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:04 am

emailing with them is hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get a response same day or withing a day. Sometimes its 3 days. It is annoying, yes. If its a critical aspect of my build and I'm feeling ready to buy, I usually just call again and ask for the guy who was helping me, and talk about it on the phone again.

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7391
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:10 am

Calling is always best. Keep at it.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

sean.e
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Apr 2015

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby sean.e » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:05 am

At least with my CS, any kind of customization involving acoustic saddles was answered only once -- out of the question due to the circuit board and available space in the control route.

User avatar
OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1405
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: From parts unknown!

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby OotMagroot » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:08 am

Take it from someone who's had to manage people talking on the phone all day AND managing emails while doing so. It is NOT easy. Employers don't hire a surplus of people to take calls from customers or potential customers - they hire JUST enough to cover what's coming in. If it get's busy, then you can imagine what happens. If it's slow, more attention can be given. Sorry ,that's how it usually works. If you don't like, or believe that...I guess you need to make a decision.

Just one person calling in sick for two days (do you REALLY want someone coming in who has liquid coming out of both ends?) can get impossibly behind on emails.

I'm not trying to defend or make excuses, it is what it is.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15934
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:01 am

sean.e wrote:At least with my CS, any kind of customization involving acoustic saddles was answered only once -- out of the question due to the circuit board and available space in the control route.


Do you remember if that was after they came out with their current piezo system (one knob, one mini switch) or back when their only system had to be paired with the active electronics system with the 4 knobs, 3 way, and two mini switches?

sean.e
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Apr 2015

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby sean.e » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 am

spudmunkey wrote:Do you remember if that was after they came out with their current piezo system (one knob, one mini switch) or back when their only system had to be paired with the active electronics system with the 4 knobs, 3 way, and two mini switches?


Current system. I wanted a kill switch. The initial response was no. Follow-up questions went unanswered, so I eventually just ordered and made my changes after delivery.

Image

God of War
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby God of War » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm

OotMagroot wrote:Take it from someone who's had to manage people talking on the phone all day AND managing emails while doing so. It is NOT easy. Employers don't hire a surplus of people to take calls from customers or potential customers - they hire JUST enough to cover what's coming in. If it get's busy, then you can imagine what happens. If it's slow, more attention can be given. Sorry ,that's how it usually works. If you don't like, or believe that...I guess you need to make a decision.

Just one person calling in sick for two days (do you REALLY want someone coming in who has liquid coming out of both ends?) can get impossibly behind on emails.

I'm not trying to defend or make excuses, it is what it is.

That's fair.

Like I said, I get that theyre busy. I remember Jeff saying they weren't taking any new orders because of how crazy things get after Christmas.
Saving up for:

JB200C
DC700C: Purple Quilt, Trans Black Burst and Gold Hardware

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15934
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

That doesn't sound right. Could he have been talking about Kiesel Editions, of which there are only a limited number of slots?

User avatar
DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mar 2007

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby DannyB819 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:53 pm

God of War wrote:I remember Jeff saying they weren't taking any new orders because of how crazy things get after Christmas.


There's no way that's right. There isn't a universe that exists in which Jeff says no to taking money.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3919
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby arahobob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Best way to get answers in my experience.

Speak to one sales person directly, and only one.
There' are what, three guys? Pick one and roll with it.
Get his email and send all correspondence to him directly - it'll always take longer than a phone call will.
Call up and ask to speak to your guy - if he's busy/unavailable, call back.

Friend the sales person (I use Mike Jones) and contact him direct via Facebook Messenger.
You can see when they are online and it's practically an immediate response.
Posting questions on the Kiesel FB page and tagging the sales person also works well.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1511
Joined: Feb 2013

Re: Bit of trouble with customer service.

Postby Toptube » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 pm

God of War wrote:
OotMagroot wrote:Take it from someone who's had to manage people talking on the phone all day AND managing emails while doing so. It is NOT easy. Employers don't hire a surplus of people to take calls from customers or potential customers - they hire JUST enough to cover what's coming in. If it get's busy, then you can imagine what happens. If it's slow, more attention can be given. Sorry ,that's how it usually works. If you don't like, or believe that...I guess you need to make a decision.

Just one person calling in sick for two days (do you REALLY want someone coming in who has liquid coming out of both ends?) can get impossibly behind on emails.

I'm not trying to defend or make excuses, it is what it is.

That's fair.

Like I said, I get that theyre busy. I remember Jeff saying they weren't taking any new orders because of how crazy things get after Christmas.

You probably misunderstood him saying that "now" is the time to order (before Christmas or before NAMM) to receive your finished guitar in a reasonable amount of time. 9 weeks or whatever. There is a certain cutoff before Christmas and Before NAMM, after which your wait time will increase a lot, because of the volume of orders they receive from the holiday and then from the NAMM show.

There was also a video where he said "now" is the time to order, before the 2018 price increases.

And yes, sometimes when he gets behind, he temporarily will not accept new orders for Kiesel Editions and other special projects.


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests