Zeus ZM8

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Zeus ZM8

Postby colossal » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

I gotta say...I like the Zeus. But conditions apply. I don't care much for it as a six string, but the width of an 8 string neck balances out the bulbous top bout nicely. Plus a multiscale is a must for this guitar, from the aesthetic point of view as well as functionally as an 8-string. This white-white ZM8 really appeals to me and specifically because it looks like a Beluga :lol: I certainly don't need another guitar, or even an 8-string for that matter, but there is a certain curiosity I have about it and the ZM8 is raising one of my eyebrows like Spock. A couple of summers back, I visited Kiesel and played Jeff's buckeye burl VM7. My hands took right to that multiscale, much to my surprise and delight. The ZM8 below is really interesting. I have always preferred the look of natural wood for my builds but this one, I think, calls for a solid color.

Speculating :think: I would probably go for:

The Beluga ZM8
Alder solid body (or maybe chambered with a maple or birch top)
Hipshot fixed bridge
White-White gloss body
White Kiesel logo, no shadow
Clear natural gloss (maybe satin) on the neck
Flamed Maple neck (or maybe a 5 piece neck for fun and added stability)
Ebony fretboard, no streaking
Abalone staggered/offset inlays
Stainless steel jumbo frets
Beryllium or Holdsworth bridge pickup with white bobbins, chrome pole pieces and screws
Beryllium neck pickup with white bobbins, chrome pole pieces and screws
White top hat knobs
Ebony (or purpleheart) rear electronics control cover
OP50: locate upper strap pin like HH guitars, behind neck heel

Other substitutions might include a purpleheart fretboard, just because (!). Maybe a light swamp ash body or anything that would give it a clear voice without sounding too fat or muddy in the low end. Probably the bolt-on neck will see to that anyway.

:rockon:

ZM8 WW.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Zeus ZM8

Postby gibvel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:54 am

Thought I heard, somewhere, that they wouldn't do a white logo on a white guitar or a black logo on a black guitar. Hmmmmm.

silvergoat2k6
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby silvergoat2k6 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:30 am

gibvel wrote:Thought I heard, somewhere, that they wouldn't do a white logo on a white guitar or a black logo on a black guitar. Hmmmmm.

They will do a black drop shadow logo on a black guitar, one of my Ultra V's has it.
*Dean* "The Kiesel BBS Ultra V Dude"
6 (yes, 6) Ultra V's, Aries A6H, NZ624M Neil Zaza Signature, CS3, GH3
Solo 6 on order
Proud Member of #teamzaza

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am

They'll do black logos on dts black.

Jet black? Not so sure.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:00 am

I feel like there was a specific call-out about black-on-black and white-on-white logos around the start of the new year when they were talking about paring down the 5-piece neck options, etc. :think:

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I feel like there was a specific call-out about black-on-black and white-on-white logos around the start of the new year when they were talking about paring down the 5-piece neck options, etc. :think:

Yeah, I remember Jeff saying something on a video but can't remember which one.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 pm

There's a jet black hh with an almost invisible black logo on FB. Doesnt seem to be a problem.

andriewi1005

Postby andriewi1005 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 am

hello, i'm ordering ZM8. ordered last week.
and i just wonder about the neck profile.
i didn't order the "thin neck".
my question is, the normal neck depth, is it to large or just still normal?
because i'm asian guy, i have shorter finger compared to USA man.
thank you

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 am

If you can play an 8 string, your fingers can't be that short. The normal neck profile should be fine.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:44 am

The size of ones hands (or length of fingers) is not the determining factor whether or not they can play an 8 string guitar.
Although, it would contribute to the individuals preference of neck thickness and profile.
Is there anybody who can be helpful, and give an accurate description between a standard 6 string neck thickness, and a standard 8 string thickness? I believe that was 'andriewi1005's question.

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:45 am

I wanna say that the width on the necks are fairly standard with industry norms even if they have additional strings.

I took a 'mostly' accurate caliper measurement of my V8 at approximately 22mm at the nut and 27mm or so at the heel (heel measurement was less accurate) - I say 'mostly' as my caliper doesn't have a rubber coating and I'm nuts about not wanting to mar the finish. As such, the 22mm and 27mm are actually slightly larger than the real thickness as I didn't want to grind up the finish nor loosen the strings.

I've got a LP with the fat C neck and it's dramatically thicker than both my Kiesels, both of which are 8 strings (V8 & KM8).

I also have some thin profile fiddles that obviously "feel" thinner than the Kiesel profile.

Even then, I feel you can 'learn' to compensate on just about anything, even with small hands. Play/practice for a while and you'll find your thumb more 'loose' on the back of the neck while your other arm holds the body slightly tighter to allow for less thumb pressure requirements. Practice more and you'll hit notes with your fret-hand thumb without even having any fingers on the back of the neck. :wink:

Check out Sarah Longfield on youtube - she plays an 8 string Strandberg with that Endurneck asymetrical profile which, I believe, still maintains a standard industry thickness even with its unusual shape. Longfield is rather petite and often doesn't use her pinky on tapping runs due to its shortness, but she has no issues with neck thickness from what I can see.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars