Diamond pearl white and yellowing over time?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Nebulon

Diamond pearl white and yellowing over time?

Postby Nebulon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 am

So I'm contemplating my next build and considering color/finish options....

Most of my current fiddles are of darker tones and hues so I was thinking of brightening it up a bit with some diamond pearl white.

However, I'm not at all a fan of the yellowing many of these types of finishes evolve to unless I'm specifically going for a vintage look/feel, which I am most certainly not doing on this next build (likely a ZM7).

I know there are oxidation and light saturation elements at play here and that certain low light conditions or a proper top coat can limit or even mostly prevent yellowing in certain cases.

My question is, how do Kiesels fare in this regard with diamond pearl white?

Not sure how long DPW finish has been an option but has anybody owned a DPW Kiesel for over 5 years? 10? Over 15 or 20 maybe? And how is it faring with regard to yellowing?

Thanks ahead of time for any info you guys can provide.

sean.e
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Diamond pearl white and yellowing over time?

Postby sean.e » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 am

Not diamond, but for reference here's 1988 pearl white photographed in 2017. If there's been any yellowing, I haven't noticed. That said, who knows if the formulation now is anything like it was then.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 am

The yellowing (aging) clear coat is usually Nitro Cellulose Lacquer. That paint is NOT legal in California. Im pretty sure Kiesel uses some form of Poly Paint, which 'should' stay nice and clear. (I have seen occasional clouding)
I have a 1986 Pearl White V220 that is still VERY White. I had a V220 that was originally painted Vintage White, which is noticeably 'Creamier".
Hope this helps.
I say "Go for it", when it comes to getting a Diamond Pearl White guitar. :)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 am

Kiesel uses a Polyester finish, which is about the clearest, most-non-yellowing, commonly available finish out there.

As far as Nitro, while it is legal in CA, it's just effectively illegal to spray, so nobody with any sort of production speed requirements tends to avoid it.

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks everybody for the responses, pic, and info! :D

Not exactly sure when I'll make the order but if it's any time soon, I'll post some pics of what I'm sure will be the beautiful results.

I'm still just stupid happy that I can get a fully custom, high quality, American made guitar at these prices.

Now if only I could figure out a way to get some gold pole pieces into my KM8 without having to just purchase new Lithiums, or a new multiscale 8 string with them to swap!

massifontana

Postby massifontana » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am

Nebulon wrote:Thanks everybody for the responses, pic, and info! :D

Not exactly sure when I'll make the order but if it's any time soon, I'll post some pics of what I'm sure will be the beautiful results.

I'm still just stupid happy that I can get a fully custom, high quality, American made guitar at these prices.

Now if only I could figure out a way to get some gold pole pieces into my KM8 without having to just purchase new Lithiums, or a new multiscale 8 string with them to swap!

I'm going with diamond peral white too in my next build..I still have to wait for an income to be sure..I suppose for gold poles U have to change pickups.. :?

Nebulon

Postby Nebulon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:38 pm

massifontana wrote:..I suppose for gold poles U have to change pickups.. :?

Yeah, should I ever get another Kiesel multiscale 8 string, I'll invariably get it with the gold poles and then swap em out with my silver-poled pups on my K series.

It's way down on the 'want' list though...have to get through my 'need' list of guitars first! Heh! :wink:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars