Lefty Headless Model Info

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ThaTroll
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Feb 2009

Lefty Headless Model Info

Postby ThaTroll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 am

I am putting out this information because I could not find it when considering various lefty headless builds over the past couple of years. In the process of ordering my new lefty Osiris this week, I was able to confirm the following:

(1) All headless models are now available in left-handed versions, and as best as I can tell they are all available in both hardtail and tremolo to the same extent that righties are.

(2) There is an error in the builder that automatically adds the tremolo upgrade when you select the "left-handed" option for a headless guitar. That does not mean that the guitar comes only in the tremolo version for lefties (per the above point), but rather is a problem with the builder.

(3) The builder does allow you to de-select the tremolo option after it is automatically added. However, every time I did this in the builder, for multiple headless models, the builder ultimately listed a total price for the guitar that was $100 more than the correct price (possibly because it is still using the price for the tremolo version). Consequently, I highly recommend that you order any lefty headless guitars by phone to be safe.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15555
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Lefty Headless Model Info

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 am

ThaTroll wrote:(1) All headless models are now available in left-handed versions,


As far as I'm aware of, the good news is that every one of their models is available in left-handed, except for the optional Vintage trem, the GH24 (because the Vintage trem is the only bridge option), and the lefty Bigsby, with lefty + multiscale being available but not having the 10-day satisfaction period.

ThaTroll
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Feb 2009

Re: Lefty Headless Model Info

Postby ThaTroll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 am

spudmunkey wrote:
ThaTroll wrote:(1) All headless models are now available in left-handed versions,


As far as I'm aware of, the good news is that every one of their models is available in left-handed, except for the optional Vintage trem, the GH24 (because the Vintage trem is the only bridge option), and the lefty Bigsby, with lefty + multiscale being available but not having the 10-day satisfaction period.


Currently that seems to be true, but it is not always the case -- and it is often difficult to confirm without calling in. For example, the Holdsworth headless models were not originally available in lefty at all due to issues with the bridge, and I believe at one point a least one of the headless models (or more) were only available with the tremolo bridge. I believe this is why all or most of the headless guitars in the builder still automatically select the tremolo option when you click the button to make it a lefty.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15555
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Lefty Headless Model Info

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am

ThaTroll wrote:Currently that seems to be true, but it is not always the case -- and it is often difficult to confirm without calling in. For example, the Holdsworth headless models were not originally available in lefty at all due to issues with the bridge


Yeah, for whatever reason, Kiesel only ever sourced the righty version of the J-Custom bridge. Once they switched over to the Hipshot hardware, that limitation went away.

ThaTroll wrote:I believe at one point a least one of the headless models (or more) were only available with the tremolo bridge. I believe this is why all or most of the headless guitars in the builder still automatically select the tremolo option when you click the button to make it a lefty.


That doesn't sound right. especially since the trem came AFTER the fixed bridge. At the time when the trem was released, the only headless besides the HH2 (which still used the J-Custom at the time) was the Vader which had the Hipshot fixed bridge. Then the CL model was released, which was only multiscale (so no trems), and now the Osiris and Zeus which launched with both bridge options.

But, while those are the actual availability, what it showed on the builder isn't always accurate and likely may have muddied the waters, so you are dead-right with the "call!" comment! For example, it's been a month and a half sinceStainless Jumbo frets were supposed to be a free upgrade, and not only are they still $40 on the builder, but they are actually MORE expensive than the current price for the gold-colored EVO frets!

ThaTroll
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Feb 2009

Re: Lefty Headless Model Info

Postby ThaTroll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 am

spudmunkey wrote:That doesn't sound right. especially since the trem came AFTER the fixed bridge. At the time when the trem was released, the only headless besides the HH2 (which still used the J-Custom at the time) was the Vader which had the Hipshot fixed bridge. Then the CL model was released, which was only multiscale (so no trems), and now the Osiris and Zeus which launched with both bridge options.

But, while those are the actual availability, what it showed on the builder isn't always accurate and likely may have muddied the waters, so you are dead-right with the "call!" comment! For example, it's been a month and a half sinceStainless Jumbo frets were supposed to be a free upgrade, and not only are they still $40 on the builder, but they are actually MORE expensive than the current price for the gold-colored EVO frets!


I thought I remembered seeing something about one of the guitars being trem-only for lefties, but it's possible I only thought that because of the builder. I can certainly confirm that the builder has been doing that for a long time. Calling is always the best option, but hopefully this thread make things a little easier for any lefties who are trying to search for info like I have done in the past.


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests