Thin Neck Profile

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GaryL

Thin Neck Profile

Postby GaryL » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm

I'm planning to order a V6, once i get over purchasing a guitar without actually playing it first. I'm looking for some feedback on using THNN - Thinner Neck Profile? Is it sturdy? Have there been problems with it? I don't have the longest reach out there. Playing 3NPS pentatonic scales and extended chords is a challenge. So, i'm looking for every advantage.

Also, I've gotten the impression from a few posts that there are quality control problems at the factory, especially regarding the finish. Should I be worried?

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Thin Neck Profile

Postby maxpower » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

I have the THHN option on one neck and have not noticed any stability issues relative to the others.

Of the 3 Carvin/Kiesels I own that they finished (I also have a kit), the finishes are flawless and beautiful. I can't speak for anyone else though.

I have a story...
The other day, I was carrying my guitar up the stairs (not the one with THHN option) and slipped. With all my falling weight, I jammed the guitar headstock into my wood stairs. It was so hard, I thought for sure I broke the neck, or at least the head stock. When I checked it out, I noticed a spot on the end of the head stock that looked like I chipped through the finish and into the wood. After checking it out for awhile, I realized it was a chip of wood from the stairs. The guitar is fine and has no visible or playable signs of any issues. No re-adjusting the neck or even tuning it. It is a week later and I still have not tuned it. :-)
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm

The thinner neck option removes a small amount of wood, and with all necks being reinforced with carbon rods (that are stronger than the wood) I would not worry. Of course, a multi piece neck will be stronger yet. Quality control issues happen; if yours has a problem, there is the 10 day return period. I have never seen one with a problem, but have only played ones built in the old factory. Usually, they're impeccable, but that is not always the case. Again, that 10 day trial period is handy.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Original Cowbell!

Postby Original Cowbell! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:10 am

The thin neck profile is probably a good choice for women and men with tiny hands. :lol:

Original Cowbell!

Postby Original Cowbell! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

amayce

Postby amayce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Original Cowbell! wrote:The thin neck profile is probably a good choice for women and men with tiny hands. :lol:

Idk man, I'm a pretty small handed guy, and get along just fine with the "standard" profile on the three K/C's I own. I'm pretty sure they're all standard, and I have the paperwork for two of them. I will say that the 25" scale definitely helps, because I have a guitar with a 25.5" and it's a bit of a stretch, and I've tried some extended range guitars and the stretching is too much... I don't think the thin neck (or thick neck) takes a whole lot off.

For some reason, 34" doesn't bother me on bass though... probably because I'm not typically chording or going too fast...

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Don't worry about neck strength. Don't buy a 5 piece neck because you think it will stay straight vs a one piece neck. I have a 5 piece mahogany and since its been in my hands I may have to tweek it a bit since it seems to be too flat now and very slightly buzzing high E and B. It didn't happen like that when I got it.

I know how to fix it, I just need a little quarter turn on the truss rod to add some relief. Watch some videos online that explains setting up the truss rod. You will be better off knowing so you can adjust to your taste.

jeff has about 6 pounds of carbon reenforced moon steel in them so other than filling it with cement they will move a hair.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars