DOUBLE neck guitars as standard option

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DOUBLE neck guitars as standard option

Postby DesmoBob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Just saw the e-mail about the Osiris series having a double neck option. Cool beans 8)

Then I read the description, and it said any combination of 6, 7, or 8 strings, standard or multi scale. Hopefully they'll sell a bunch of these, and (more hopefully) it may open the path to more double neck offerings in the future. I have no need for 6/7/8 standard/multi scale, BUT...

...But I would DEFINITELY like to see a 12 string option in the future. 12 string and a 6 string standard scale double neck would grab my attention.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: DOUBLE neck guitars as standard option

Postby DannyB819 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm

I'd like a Bumblefoot-esque double neck fretless / standard. Don't know I'd ever actually play it, but I'd like to have it.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 pm

For me, a double-neck would only make sense if it had a one guitar neck and one bass neck, or a 6-string at a 12-string... But hipshot doesn't make a 12-string version of their bridge, and they don't yet offer any bass necks on them... Not that I'dactually buy one anyways, but... Haha!

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am

My double-neck would have to be a 6 string + multi-scale 7 string.
But it wouldn't be a headless model (I cant get past the aesthetics, not for me).
And I don't pick up my 25.5" scale 7 string DC much anyway, so ...
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 pm

I have no desire to purchase a double neck, as the only purpose I see for them is the rare case where you need to switch instruments mid-song in a live performance. I don't perform often enough for that to ever come up.

That said, if I were in the market for a double neck, I'd pass on the Kiesel double necks I've seen. Most of the older Carvin double necks had one critical feature that I think made them competitive: body wings smaller than equivalent single neck instruments. For me, the bodies on all of the Jeff built/designed multi neck guitars are just too big (I suspect they match the outer dimensions of the equivalent single neck instruments). The size/weight seems like it would make the instrument awkward and tiring to play. Headless certainly helps with the weight, but unless smaller body wings were available (opt 50 or standard option) I'd go elsewhere for a double neck in the unlikely event I needed one.

If anyone is considering a Kiesel double neck, the following combinations could be interesting/useful:
27" fretless with HAN / any scale fretted
12 string (convince Hipshot to build something similar to the 12 string Steinberger bridge) / guitar
12 string with headstock (unlikely to be approved) / guitar
bass / guitar
Evertune with headstock (again, unlikely to be approved) / guitar

For tone snobs:
identical guitars, but with different neck woods
identical guitars, but with different pickups
identical guitars, but with two different body woods on each half of the body
identical guitars, but with tung oil on one half, raw/satin/gloss on the other half of the body
identical guitars, but with different fret size or material
identical guitars, but with different scale lengths

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am

I'm a bit surprised there's no bass neck option. I don't need and can't afford a doubleneck, but it's fun to fantasize.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:47 am

A 612 DN would be a super cool thing to own. Of all the guitar types, one of the last major categories I still have to tick off my bucket list is a twelve string.

I used to love gaping at the old eighties era set neck Dan's, and love seeing them when they appear, especially when they're all koa or solid quilted maple. Sublime!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 am

Doctor Turn wrote:A 612 DN would be a super cool thing to own. Of all the guitar types, one of the last major categories I still have to tick off my bucket list is a twelve string.

I used to love gaping at the old eighties era set neck Dan's, and love seeing them when they appear, especially when they're all koa or solid quilted maple. Sublime!

and a 4/6 of course.... :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Yup! Like that guy in El Ten Eleven that Jeff turned us on to.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Yup! Like that guy in El Ten Eleven that Jeff turned us on to.

geddy makes me want a 4/6, a set of taurus foot pedals, and a minimoog

he also makes me wish i knew how to play them. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 am

spudmunkey wrote:For me, a double-neck would only make sense if it had a one guitar neck and one bass neck, or a 6-string at a 12-string... But hipshot doesn't make a 12-string version of their bridge, and they don't yet offer any bass necks on them... Not that I'dactually buy one anyways, but... Haha!

My thoughts exactly. Though the guitar/bass combo could be somewhat practical; a 6 string/12 string would be absolutely amazing and beyond practical. Switching between 6/12 strings in the same song would kick arse playing live with a 3piece band.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 am

Exactly. The whole thing of having one be a 6 and the other a 7 (or eight) is just bizarre. You formally and officially require a whole separate guitar to get at the first 6 strings in your ERG axe? Does that mean your 7 string is really just a "1-string guitar" in disguise, and the other 6 strings are decorations to keep the low B string company? :lol:

So yeah, the only DN's that make sense to me are the 6/12's and the guitar/bass... if it's too rough for you to play normally and fret trad 6 string chords and scales on a 7 or 8... maybe says something about the utility of the instrument for that particular person and their hands.

Has anyone noticed or commented about the fact that the old NAMM D/N for three and half million dollars (kidding of course; I think the price was formally listed as "Way-too-many-thousand dollars.00") is not in GIS any more?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:25 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Has anyone noticed or commented about the fact that the old NAMM D/N for three and half million dollars (kidding of course; I think the price was formally listed as "Way-too-many-thousand dollars.00") is not in GIS any more?

Yeah. But no comment. I simply figured someone had finally filled their change jar or someone new to Kiesel had to have it. Maybe Jeff took it back.

But my imaginings aside, I haven't seen or heard anything. It was the first guitar in the GIS for so long that its absence was almost registered a shock.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am

Given that the triple neck that cost something like $18,000 sold, I'm guessing that someone bought the double neck as well.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars