420$ Kiesel trade in value

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Quivering Wrist

Re: 420$ Kiesel trade in value

Postby Quivering Wrist » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Jackson928 wrote:Hope you leaned you lesson, never sell your guitars :mrgreen:

Lots of good replies here, and this one i should have lived by. I'd have a nice little stash of them.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am

Yeah, I'd probably sleep better at night (and create some good karma) if I donated them to a worthy cause.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 am

Omsong wrote:Yeah, I'd probably sleep better at night (and create some good karma) if I donated them to a worthy cause.

I just did something like that. One of mine sold online, and I donated most of it to helping out a friend get to Nashville.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 pm

It's like when you buy a motorcycle and add a ton of extra stuff to it. That unfortunately does not lead to an increase in resale value, unless the person who wants to purchase it wants those exact add ons.

Carvin/Kiesel guitars offer incredible abilities to customize your guitar, so you can even take something like a Bolt and make it cost well over 2000 dollars. However, in the end it's just an optioned-out bolt. Fancy finishes and top woods don't offer much more in terms of playability.

More importantly, anyone looking knows that they can get the exact guitar they want from Carvin/Kiesel. So, there is little motivation to pay a bunch for a bunch of options that they don't exactly want.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

pdy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pdy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 pm

You're better off looking for a trade on CL. I had an AE-185 that I never really used to it's full potential. I put it up on CL and I had a guy contact me who said it was EXACTLY what he was looking for and willing to trade a pretty nice LP Studio Vintage Mahogany model - case included. At least that one time I thought the trade was pretty fair. The gibby sounded really nice but the build quality wasn't up to snuff. Anyway, that axe was much easier to unload without feeling bad about it or feeling like I was getting ripped off. :lol:
Last edited by pdy on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am

Sup. Here is a funny one. I once seen a nice Carvin at GC for $975. I sent an email to them and offered them $800 roughly if I remember right. My point it she comes back and say if she sold it to me for that she wouldn't make any money LMAO! I know whoever sold that Carvin to them surely did not get anywhere near $800.

TBH guys I really don't want to sell my Kiesel. I was really interested in what they would give me and if it was what I had in mind i was going to give birth to another Kiesel. But as we know that didn't go well. But that's okay because I have a fine guitar. I'll have to show it to you all.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:So learn your lesson. GC is not for selling, it's for buying when it comes to used guitars.

Absolutely!
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm

And even then, it's not super great. Whether you are buying or selling, you are adding a third-party middleman into the equation between the buyer and the seller. They're going to take a cut of 30 to 40% or so either way. It almost seems like when people do find used deals at Guitar Center, it was likely that the person who took in the instrument used the base price of the model to price the sale price... And not it's actual option to up by price.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:10 am

spudmunkey wrote:And even then, it's not super great. Whether you are buying or selling, you are adding a third-party middleman into the equation between the buyer and the seller. They're going to take a cut of 30 to 40% or so either way. It almost seems like when people do find used deals at Guitar Center, it was likely that the person who took in the instrument used the base price of the model to price the sale price... And not it's actual option to up by price.

Well, having a middleman is just par for the course. The alternative is either Craigslist/local pickup (very limiting and not always the safest), forums like the museum which are usually just dedicated to a specific brand, or a universal listing service like GC or Reverb, CME, etc.. so you're going to have to pay a middleman for providing the service that allowed you to instantly have a gigantic selection of used instruments at your fingertips. I don't think there's anything uniquely bad about GC's used guitar service versus any other, really.

Whether or not you pay the price that grants them an overly girthy commission is up to your negotiating skills. My recent deal on GC was for a vintage item listed at 1100 bucks which I hammered down to JUST over 900 through perstistence. For which I turned around and mentioned with pics on a forum and a dude from SWEDEN from all places, where those vintage Hags are abundant, instantly offered me double what I paid the day after I bought it! If you have a good eye, you can score some real coups on GC-Used, because they simply don't understand what they have the second you step outside the big G and the big F. They;re all not amazing deals, and a good deal are inexplicably overpriced, but you can score some real winners. If I had more money, Jeez I could lay down some amazing brags here.

As for what I do have, I've never paid ask on any of the 5 guitars (including the new Hagstrom Triple P90; the Northen was sort of lightly used/NOS/Proto so it's neither new, but not stereotypical used) I bought over the past say 2 years. The only item I did not even try to negotiate on was the Carr. Everyone pays that exact same price in the USA.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ScratchyRat

Postby ScratchyRat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:57 pm

GC used gear is simple to figure out look at the street price for said item now take 30% of that price off, thats what they will give you in most cases. So no matter the retail price say street price is $650 -$700 they will offer you $455 to start.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 am

Usually it's more like 40-50% that they will take off. They are a business, and like a car dealership, base their trade in prices and sale prices on the market. They have lots of access to past sales, ebay, worthpoint, etc, and use that to determine what they will get.

They have to factor in depreciation, overhead, etc.

I was just a Motorcycle dealer ship for an oil change (I Ride a 2012 Yamaha FJR1300), and had to watch Goldwing GL1800 owner after owner come in and get really low trade in numbers for motorcycles that cost a ton with ton of options.

Why?

Because Honda just put out a new Goldwing 1800 model, rebuilt from the ground up, and there is now a FLOOD of used Goldwings from the previous generation. So, it's a great time to buy a used one, but not to sell one. With Kiesel/Carvin guitars that have tons of options, this is almost always the case.
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Except I have seen many Kiesel badged guitars sit online, with people asking usually near new pricing. Older, vintagey stuff, is also going up in price it seems. I don't think they're selling much, but the listings sure have some crazy prices.

This is why one should be very sure when ordering a new custom.

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 pm

They take the base price of it in this case was a dc127 which is around $1000 and base it off that. They don't care what options you have since options won't make them more money.

If I let them have it for $420 I'd see it on their wall for $899. They typically sell them for that. I know because I keep my eyes on that store and see carvins and a few Kiesels run through.

One time I seen a bolt plus come in and they were selling for $550. That is a good deal and I wonder how much that poor dude took a hit for. They probably gave him $300 for it.

if you want a Kiesel plan to keep it and enjoy it for what it is which is better than most. I was only going to trade mine if they gave me close to $800. But I still have my Kiesel sitting here

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am

Quivering Wrist wrote:They take the base price of it in this case was a dc127 which is around $1000 and base it off that. They don't care what options you have since options won't make them more money.

If I let them have it for $420 I'd see it on their wall for $899. They typically sell them for that. I know because I keep my eyes on that store and see carvins and a few Kiesels run through.

One time I seen a bolt plus come in and they were selling for $550. That is a good deal and I wonder how much that poor dude took a hit for. They probably gave him $300 for it.

if you want a Kiesel plan to keep it and enjoy it for what it is which is better than most. I was only going to trade mine if they gave me close to $800. But I still have my Kiesel sitting here

i ran into this very thing at a guitar show in January. Several people wanted my Bolt+C, but wanted a "wholesale" price, so they could sell retail. They refused to give anything relating to actual value on it, even in trade. I had a friend with a nice Taylor, and they were offering him like..$400 I think it was, for a guitar he paid over $2k for. One seller actually had the same model, only beat up, and he had a price tag that was over new. We gave up shortly after and walked out.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah.. guitar shows really aren't what they used to be. They are full of people looking to make money, not full of people looking to try and buy guitars. They know that a lot of people will bring in older guitars used by children/relatives/etc and just want to get ANYTHING for it. Then they go and sell it right away.

I haven't been to a guitar show in years because I was tired of that crap.

Quivering Wrist

Postby Quivering Wrist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm more wise now but when I was young several times I bought a guitar with a credit card. I had a Jackson Y2k V - kick me now I sold it - I paid 1500 or so back when USA Jacksons were affordable and sold it for $600 cash because after all I didn't pay anything for it(my card co. did) and now I had $600 in my pocket. Those days are long gone for me. but my point is buyers are looking for people like I used to be. When that GC young dude came up to me and offered $420 he tried to make it sound like a good deal. I showed him body language by walking straight to my guitar they had behind the counter as if i sold it to them already and picked it up and left.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars