Is there a Piezo option for the Wilkinson tremolo?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Is there a Piezo option for the Wilkinson tremolo?

Postby Terry Tibbs » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:33 am

Was wondering is anyone knows if this is an option 50 or not. Unfortunately, I'm in Italy and can't call to ask. The build I'm putting together is the Holdsworth HF2, if that matters.

I'll have to call in the order anyway since I have other option 50s in mind, but wanted to ask the masses if this was even a possibility.

Thanks for any input.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Is there a Piezo option for the Wilkinson tremolo?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:41 am

Yep, for many years, the Wilkinson was the only trem option that could be combined with their Piezo system.

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Postby Terry Tibbs » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am

Great news! Thank you. I'm sort of a Kiesel noob. This would only be my second build.

Is this a standard Option 50 or a more expensive add-on? Again, I wish I could just call, but if anyone has recent experience, that would be convenient.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 pm

I believe adding piezo to guitars adds $250, if I remember right. I don't think this would necessarily be any sort of option 50...I mean...the wilkinson itself has a code, so no "50" there, and the piezo has a code, so no "50" there...unless you're asking them to put a Wilky on something it normally doesn't come on.

What are you thinking of as far as the rest of the build? Which Model?

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:26 am

Ah I see. Thanks a load. Yes, the Holdsworth HF2 is what I am wanting to equip with this. On the build site Wilkinson is an option, but no piezo boxes to tick.

Either way, I'll have to call because I want to request a top only blackburst option as well as direct mount pups. However, thanks for giving me an idea about how much the piezo system will cost, even if it's just a ballpark.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 am

Terry, I'm sorry I'm responding to this really late, but I just read the post. There are two issues with adding what they now call "Acoustic Saddles" to any bridge. The first is whether the bridge itself can handle these replacement saddles. The second is whether there is room to add the processing card necessary for the piezo preamp.

So, for the HF2, the answer to both questions should be "yes."

We know this for two reasons. First, the HF2 was one of the primary models that had Synth access (MIDI) and the processing card for that is much bigger than just a piezo card.

But, there's one other question and that is whether the Wilki can fit on the HF2. I've never seen a Wilki on a Holdsworth, so you'll have to call.

Terry Tibbs wrote:Ah I see. Thanks a load. Yes, the Holdsworth HF2 is what I am wanting to equip with this. On the build site Wilkinson is an option, but no piezo boxes to tick.
CT6 Deep Blue Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt, Icon 5 Bass Next Up

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:18 am

The Wilkinson was an option for the H2, I believe.

The primary difference between a regular Wilki and the Fishman VS50 that was offered (as I've owned both), is that the Fishman version comes with the acoustic saddles, a summing board that sits between the fulcrum plate and the sustain block, allowing only one wire to run to the control cavity, and each saddle has a wire that goes through a hole in the fulcrum plate.

To cleanly adapt the Wilkinson acoustic saddles to a normal Wilki would require putting some oval holes in the fulcrum plate, getting the saddles, and then finding a way to sum them. The Fishman method is the most elegant.

There is one downside to having those saddles (I have an '07 DC127T with actives and piezo), and that is trying to use the vibrato with the acoustic saddles. It *will* clunk and knock lightly if the bar is used, and not perfectly snugged down. Converting to a Gotoh style arm (that screws in at the bottom, with bushing up top) helps prevent the noise, but there will be some strange noises.

It was a great all-around option, and I've enjoyed taking one guitar to rule them all. I ended up replacing the C22J/B pickup combo and installed an M22N and L500L. They compliment each other so well, and mix nicely with the piezo. Great fun!
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars