Zeusiris? Osireus?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Zeusiris? Osireus?

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Hmm...

I thought this could be a "best of both worlds", but I'm not sure it works as well as I had imagined.

Zeusiris-Osireus.jpg

To be clear, this is a 'shop, and not real.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Zeusiris? Osireus?

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:19 am

Perseus?

Toat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Toat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:57 am

I would like to see the lower horn mirrored as the upper horn, but still with the bevel

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 am

Looks good
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ted » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 pm

To be honest, that looks really good.

I wonder what it would look like in a 6 string. My biggest beef with new Kiesel designs is that the aesthetics of the body size to neck proportions are ideal for 7 and 8 strings, but look rather goofy in 6 strings. I'd always figured I'd get a 7 string eventually, but recently played a 7 and realized they just aren't for me.

If I had the choice between a Zeus, an Osiris and your Zeusiris, I'd go with the Zeusiris. The upper bout on the Zeus doesn't look right on a 6 string, and the Osiris looks a bit milquetoast to me-- but your design keeps what I like best about both. I think it looks best overall.
HH2 -Tobacco Burst
DC127-- Electric Green
AC375--Emerald Green
JBV6--Ferrari Red

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:53 pm

That rendering is much more appealing to me than the beluga. Still has some originality retaining the lower "jaw" but dumps the ugly forehead hump. I like.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm

ted wrote:To be honest, that looks really good.

I wonder what it would look like in a 6 string. My biggest beef with new Kiesel designs is that the aesthetics of the body size to neck proportions are ideal for 7 and 8 strings, but look rather goofy in 6 strings. I'd always figured I'd get a 7 string eventually, but recently played a 7 and realized they just aren't for me.

I couldn't find high-quality straight-on images of two guitars of the same finish. If you can find two "gallery" type shots, I'll give it a go.

ted wrote:If I had the choice between a Zeus, an Osiris and your Zeusiris, I'd go with the Zeusiris. The upper bout on the Zeus doesn't look right on a 6 string, and the Osiris looks a bit milquetoast to me-- but your design keeps what I like best about both. I think it looks best overall.

For me, I think it's the waste that's not grabbing me. It feels very "boxy" somehow, and I guess I wish the waist was narrower/curvier :think:

The reverse combo:
Zeusiris-Osireus 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Mike Jones' contribution in a comment over on FB. :lol:

30725373_734259806962142_8953728123274787682_n.jpg

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Mike Jones' contribution in a comment over on FB. :lol:

30725373_734259806962142_8953728123274787682_n.jpg

Michael Angelo Batio Kiesel signature model perhaps? He has played worse.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm

As wacky as his previous guitars have been, you could still tune them all. ;)

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm

I was suspicious when I first watched him play. Alas my rumors were confirmed by a good source.

thU2GYBSBI.jpg

M.A.B. is an Alien. He wills the strings into tune.

CHTB182

Postby CHTB182 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:58 am

I asked Jeff around 2 months ago, and He said he won´t do it.. I photoshoped the pic but no luck :(..

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:41 am

Kinda reminds me of a guitar version of the Bromberg.

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ted » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14 pm

felix guitar.jpg

Jeff actually already DID make this design, as a one off. :)

I saw pics of this custom guitar that Jeff made for Felix Martin on the website a few months ago. I was like "I don't know how anyone could play such an odd instrument--I've never heard of this guy-- but whatever, it looks cool."

A few nights ago, my buddy (huge Dream Theatre fan) took me to see Sons of Apollo (Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Bumblefoot, Billy Sheehan, Jeff Scott Soto). As we walked into the venue during the opening act, I looked on the stage and saw a guy playing a weird lefty doubleneck with the necks attached and I got that giddy feeling of "Kiesel sighting!"

I made my way to the front of the crowd so I could get a prime look at this beast in action. Martin is a monster. The guy plays entirely by his own method of two handed tapping. One hand fretting the top fretboard, the other fretting the bottom fretboard. He plays both fretboards simultaneously. No picking-- all hammered notes. It was really something to see.

After he finished playing, I popped by the merch table to pick up a t-shirt and I introduced myself as a fellow Kiesel player. I complimented his music and his guitar and he smiled and asked in his Venezuelan accent, "You wanna play it?" He reached down behind his table and yanked this 16 string beast of its gig bag and put it into my hands. He then grinned and said something like "Hey if you want it, it's yours. You just have to take it and run really fast." Really cool guy with a sense of humor.

I gotta say, this instrument is a real work of art. Gorgeous blue-green top with coppery burl figuring. It was remarkably lightweight for what it was. Unfortunately, with the guitar being left-handed, I didn't even attempt to fret a note on it, but as I turned it and examined it in the light, I felt a small crowd of curious onlookers forming to check it out. I handed it back to him and thanked him for showing it to me.

This guitar definitely has the Osiris top horn with the lower hook of the Zeus.
HH2 -Tobacco Burst

DC127-- Electric Green

AC375--Emerald Green

JBV6--Ferrari Red

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Hmm...

I thought this could be a "best of both worlds", but I'm not sure it works as well as I had imagined.

Zeusiris-Osireus.jpg

Now, if you could cut away the material behind the tuners similar to a Vader but to match some of the contours that were blended in, it would make me even happier. (No Photochop skills from me, just MS Paint...here's what I'm talking about. I'd love to see this done with your PS skill-set)

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm

ioneater wrote:That rendering is much more appealing to me than the beluga. Still has some originality retaining the lower "jaw" but dumps the ugly forehead hump. I like.

Where's the 100X like button?

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm

ted wrote:felix guitar.jpg

Jeff actually already DID make this design, as a one off. :)

I saw pics of this custom guitar that Jeff made for Felix Martin on the website a few months ago. I was like "I don't know how anyone could play such an odd instrument--I've never heard of this guy-- but whatever, it looks cool."

A few nights ago, my buddy (huge Dream Theatre fan) took me to see Sons of Apollo (Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Bumblefoot, Billy Sheehan, Jeff Scott Soto). As we walked into the venue during the opening act, I looked on the stage and saw a guy playing a weird lefty doubleneck with the necks attached and I got that giddy feeling of "Kiesel sighting!"

I made my way to the front of the crowd so I could get a prime look at this beast in action. Martin is a monster. The guy plays entirely by his own method of two handed tapping. One hand fretting the top fretboard, the other fretting the bottom fretboard. He plays both fretboards simultaneously. No picking-- all hammered notes. It was really something to see.

After he finished playing, I popped by the merch table to pick up a t-shirt and I introduced myself as a fellow Kiesel player. I complimented his music and his guitar and he smiled and asked in his Venezuelan accent, "You wanna play it?" He reached down behind his table and yanked this 16 string beast of its gig bag and put it into my hands. He then grinned and said something like "Hey if you want it, it's yours. You just have to take it and run really fast." Really cool guy with a sense of humor.

I gotta say, this instrument is a real work of art. Gorgeous blue-green top with coppery burl figuring. It was remarkably lightweight for what it was. Unfortunately, with the guitar being left-handed, I didn't even attempt to fret a note on it, but as I turned it and examined it in the light, I felt a small crowd of curious onlookers forming to check it out. I handed it back to him and thanked him for showing it to me.

This guitar definitely has the Osiris top horn with the lower hook of the Zeus.

Cool story thanks for sharing!
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars