Help me build an awesome FG1

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Help me build an awesome FG1

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am

protovack wrote:so I guess the question is--what woods will BRG go on, what woods will it go GOOD on, and whether to get raw tone finish or not. When you get a top on an FG1, what part of the top is actually painted? Do they leave a rim of un-painted wood around the edge as a "binding"? The neck would be totally unpainted, correct? How do they blend the color into the neck? How would this look on an FG1?

Keep in mind that the Raw Tone finish only really works on woods that have a fairly open grain texture. The FG1 comes standard with a flamed maple top. if they simply painted over that with the opaque paint (which they have done...), maple is a very very tight-grained wood, and would barely show any texture at all. If you have them use a different wood like ash (which is the MOST "grainy" wood they offer, probably followed by walnut, white limba and mahogany, probably followed by koa and black limba (althose those could all be interchangeable with specific pieces), there likely won't be a discount from the normally $250 flamed top, but there could even be a, up-charge for something like ash since it's just non-standard.

As sacrilegious as it sounds, I think my favored option would be to stick with the flamed maple top and go with a glossy BRG paint, and then get BBE (Body binding effect) so that you at least get to see the edges of the flamed maple top. Then with a darker body wood like walnut to really accent that maple edge. :think:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am

spudmunkey wrote:According tot he description in the gallery for that guitar, and the grain looks about right, that's a walnut top on a walnut body.

LOL, I see RTF just automatically think it's ash (and I would have never thought walnut top and bottom, but there's no accounting for taste of course).

How funny, also, that the old sales page for this specific GIS on this thing says (I know you mentioned it above spuddo):

WT - Walnut Top
RTF - Ultra-Thin Raw Tone Satin Finish (Solid or Translucent Colors Only, Must Order TN Tung-Oiled Neck and Ash Body/Top, Non-Returnable)
RNC - Rear of Body Natural Clear (Must Have Top Wood)
WAL - Maple Neck & Walnut Body
TN - Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
HR33 - 6-String Pointed Headstock Reverse 3+3
WPH - Walnut Headstock Matches Body Finish
RWF - Rosewood Fingerboard
ID - Dot Inlays
IMP - White Pearl Inlay Material
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
50 - Custom Option

But of course I didn't look at any of that stuff when I grabbed the pic, I was just throwing out BRG for OP into the post as I found them.

Anyhow, OP-- DOO IT! (and I wouldn't do RTF on a semi... although I think it would sound slightly woodier, the semihollow body is a bit more fragile and I think the a more substantial finish would protect the thinner wood (esp the top) against wear).
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ToneWood

Postby ToneWood » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm

How about "Deep Green Flame" for the body. (The horizontal green flame could represent evergreen branches.) And a brown (rosewood) fingerboard (or even the whole neck brown) to be the brown "tree trunk" on the green body. I am partial to no fingerboard inlays, but that's just me.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Dare I suggest.....green denim....?
Last edited by Doctor Doug on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:53 am

Doctor Doug wrote:Dar I suggest.....green denim....?

He wants a completely plain top, so I don't know how the denim patterning would grab on a plain top, although I'm sure anything is possible...
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars