How are the neck and body painted? Explain the "stocking" effect to me

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

protovack

How are the neck and body painted? Explain the "stocking" effect to me

Postby protovack » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question, or if it offends someone, that is not my intention :)

Several times I have seen a photo of Kiesel guitar from the back, where the body is painted some color, and the color extends up the neck a little bit, making it appear as though the guitar was dipped in paint up to the neck. It seems exceptionally tacky to me to have a nice wood neck be all covered in paint down near the body. How does this happen and how do I avoid it happening when I order a guitar?

Quivering Wrist

Re: How are the neck and body painted? Explain the "stocking" effect to me

Postby Quivering Wrist » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 pm

I think you mean when a neck thru guitar gets the tung oil on the neck treatment. They tape off the neck area sometimes at an angle and paint it.

You could always avoid that by getting the whole guitar painted.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 pm

protovack wrote: It seems exceptionally tacky to me to have a nice wood neck be all covered in paint down near the body. How does this happen and how do I avoid it happening when I order a guitar?

I'm unclear which effect you find unappealing: the fact that the body is painted, or the fact that it stops at the neck. :think:

If you are talking about the cut-off line in the image below, this is exactly what protovack described above: the body is painted, and the customer also chose the tung oil neck (which is an extremely popular option because of it's incredible feel, and is also the standard neck finish on all bolt-on Kiesel guitars).The side effect is that you can't have paint and tung oil; it needs to be on the bare wood.

To eleviate this visible transition line, you have two options.

Option 1: If you are OK with a painted neck, then don't select either the tung oil neck option, the Raw Tone body finish option (because they won't apply that finish to the neck, and it's always paired with a tung oil neck), or the clear satin neck option that is on the builder for some models. In fact, 10 years ago when I bought my CS6, I wanted the body black, but I wanted a satin neck because I always hated glossy necks...on those days, they did not offer the satin on paint, so the compromise was that I had to get a clear satin neck. They just didn't offer it back then. They do now, though, but they also offer the clear neck for those who want it. It honestly works OK on models that don't have suck a smooth neck heel, like the set-neck CT models, and bolt-ons. You might select a clear satin neck if you didn't want to hide your fancy upgrade 5-piece neck, for example.

Option 2: You could select a clear body finish. There will still be a transition line, but it wouldn't be quite as noticeable. Here is a clear satin-finished back-of-the-body (on some models, the clear back is standard...on others you have to select the RNC {rear natural clear} option), and a tung-oiled neck.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 pm

OK, so I actually just re-read your post.

In the very likely scenario that I initially completely mis-read your post and you are just talking about this: where even on a guitar where it seems like there's a better place to cut off that finish transition, then you are correct...and Kiesel agrees with you.

They agree with y ou, because that image is a few years ago, and within the last couple of years, they have improved the ways they tape-off this sort of thing. The way they do it now is much tidier, and takes much more time to do. As you can see on this newer build with a similar neck heel, they tape it off MUCH lower.

A better example, because it shows you the timeline.

This is an "old" H2, because it has the old J-Custom bridge, the Carvin logo, and the old headpiece. Look at how far up that color goes!

Here is how they build them now on a similar build, with the new headpiece, the Kiesel logo, and the new Hipshot bridge. Notice the much nicer, but clearly more time-consuming, tape job:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 pm

it also took me until now to realize that you didn't mean "stocking" as a verb, like I initially thought and couldn't figure out what the heck you meant, but that you meant it as a noun.

protovack

Postby protovack » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:15 pm

THANK you, it all makes sense now :)

And how does it work, say, if you get a guitar that has the smooth heel transition. Would they tape off the exact line where the neck meets the body?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Did you not see my previous (likely confusing)? :-p yes, it there isn't a physical transition, and the customer wants a painted body and a tung oil neck, they take off a line as high up as they can. Without it looking like they are taping off the shoulders, and not just the neck, like a giraffe in a boat neck shirt.

protovack

Postby protovack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:44 am

Yes I saw the above pics but it wasn't super clear
on a smooth transition heel, there will be a line where the different grains meet, that is visible (but not palpable).
Is this the line they tape off? IE, is any of the actual neck painted.

13133_My_CS6_neck_finish_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 am

I think the main point you are missing is that the line exists because the customer specified a tung oil finish on the neck, and something else for the body. That something else could be paint with either satin or gloss, or just natural clear satin or gloss. In any model with a smooth neck heel, if you don't select a different neck finish, the body finish will continue all the way down the neck and the back of the headstock.

Tung oil is just a oiled finish, and cannot be painted, stained, colored, etc. So if you want something else in the body, there will be a line.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am

That line will only exist if you ask for a tung-oiled neck.

Also, tug-oiled necks feel awesome.

Here's mine:

protovack

Postby protovack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:58 am

Ah, I see. Thanks!

bracky72

Postby bracky72 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 am

The clear satin neck option also gives you the same line.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 am

bracky72 wrote:The clear satin neck option also gives you the same line.

True dat.

Back in 2008, they didn't offer satin on paint, so that was the only way a satin neck would come, no matter what other finishes you selected for the body.

My CS6:

LanceTurbo

Postby LanceTurbo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 am

I noticed that in the guitar builder for Aries guitar (bolt on neck) there is no option that i can tell to select tung oil on the neck.

With this in mind, if you select the default CS finish and RNC, how will the neck be treated? Is it tung oil on the neck by default?

Cheers

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 am

I'm an Aries, the default finish is actually already tung oil, so you don't need to select it. If you go back to the body finish selection page, it will tell you that if you get a neck through or set neck instrument, the Finish will continue up the neck if you select gloss or satin. It also says something about how bolt on necks, the neck will not match unless you specifically request a painted neck to match the body... Which may or may not still be an option available on the Builder... I know it went away at one point.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars