Questions for H2T and/or HF2 owners

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dvkerner

Questions for H2T and/or HF2 owners

Postby dvkerner » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Hello everyone! I'm thinking of buying either an H2T or an HF2, and I have a few questions about them.

1. What is the distance (inches or cm) from the bridge saddles to where the fretboard meets the guitar body?
2. How much does the guitar weigh?
3. Have you ever experienced any issues with unwanted feedback from the guitar?

Please share any and all answers/information!

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Questions for H2T and/or HF2 owners

Postby brento73 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 am

I have an HF2, standard woods, solid color(see signature), so I'll take a stab at these questions:

1. I'll come back and answer when I get home, I'm not sure.
2. I don't have a super-accurate measurement, having used a regular bathroom scale, but I came up with about 7 or 7.5 pounds, or about the same weight as the cheap Strat I had at the time I weighed it.
3. I haven't noticed any feedback beyond what I get from other guitars. I suppose it depends on how close you are to the sound source(amp/cab/etc.) and how loud it is, but it doesn't seem to be an issue, in my experience.

I will say that the guitar rings out a bit more than a solid body, so if you're trying to play metal-type riffs where you need to stop the sound on a dime, you may need a bit more noise gate than you're used to. For anything less staccato and/or less gain, it's great.

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Thank you for your reply, and for the information! What is the loudest volume you've played it at? I checked out your YouTube videos, and you have great tone! Very warm and round. How easy was it to achieve that tone with the HF2? Did you have to do a lot of experimenting with amp settings, or is that pretty much how the guitar sounds as it is? Also, your guitar looks really nice!

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 pm

dvkerner wrote:Thank you for your reply, and for the information! What is the loudest volume you've played it at? I checked out your YouTube videos, and you have great tone! Very warm and round. How easy was it to achieve that tone with the HF2? Did you have to do a lot of experimenting with amp settings, or is that pretty much how the guitar sounds as it is? Also, your guitar looks really nice!

Thanks! I've played through a 40 watt tube amp(Blackstar HT Club 40) with the clean channel at around 8, and the master volume around 3, I think. It was well over 100 decibels, and not something I actually enjoyed, because it was VERY loud to my ears. As for the tone, the clean-ish tone was that simple to get: clean channel pushed until it gets a little dirty, usually on the neck pickup. I recently picked up an Eleven Rack which I've been experimenting with, and I'll try to get some other tones up in the near future.

Another caveat: I use flatwound strings, D'Addario Chromes, 13-56, and tune down a full step, so that contributes to the tone as well, I'm sure. Even with that, I can get some pretty metal tones when I want ;)

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 pm

brento73 wrote:Thanks! I've played through a 40 watt tube amp(Blackstar HT Club 40) with the clean channel at around 8, and the master volume around 3, I think. It was well over 100 decibels, and not something I actually enjoyed, because it was VERY loud to my ears. As for the tone, the clean-ish tone was that simple to get: clean channel pushed until it gets a little dirty, usually on the neck pickup. I recently picked up an Eleven Rack which I've been experimenting with, and I'll try to get some other tones up in the near future.

Another caveat: I use flatwound strings, D'Addario Chromes, 13-56, and tune down a full step, so that contributes to the tone as well, I'm sure. Even with that, I can get some pretty metal tones when I want ;)

You're welcome! I'm glad that you haven't had any feedback issues, and that the tone was easy to get with that guitar. I'm looking forward to the other tone examples, too! The flatwound .13s definitely make a difference, thank you for mentioning that detail! I'm planning on putting roundwound .12s on the guitar, since that's what I use now. Although since the guitar comes set up with .10s, did you have to get it set up again for the .13s?

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 pm

After switching strings I tightened the truss rod a little, and lowered the bridge a bit. It wasn't anything too tough. I believe you can also send your chosen strings in while your guitar is being built, and they'll set it up at the factory. They've done that in the past, at least, so I figure they would still do it. Just call and ask.

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

brento73 wrote:After switching strings I tightened the truss rod a little, and lowered the bridge a bit. It wasn't anything too tough. I believe you can also send your chosen strings in while your guitar is being built, and they'll set it up at the factory. They've done that in the past, at least, so I figure they would still do it. Just call and ask.

Okay! I remember them saying something about that when I talked to them a while back. Have you had a chance to measure the distance from where the bridge saddles are to where the fretboard meets the body?

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Ok, after stopping at several stores after work, finally home! :)

From the end of the fretboard to the saddles, it's 6". Subtract a little bit if you need to fretboard to the bridge itself, but on the high string it's almost exactly 6" to the actual saddle.

Hope that helps.

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Thank you very much! That measurement will help me tremendously. The reason I ask for that is because when I play, I rest my palm on the bridge saddles, and on some guitars (Les Pauls, for example) that distance is so great that it creates an awkward and uncomfortable shoulder position for me (I have shoulder issues, unfortunately). I appreciate you taking the time to take that measurement!

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 pm

brento73 wrote:Ok, after stopping at several stores after work, finally home! :)

From the end of the fretboard to the saddles, it's 6". Subtract a little bit if you need to fretboard to the bridge itself, but on the high string it's almost exactly 6" to the actual saddle.

Hope that helps.

Could you also tell me the distance from where the fretboard meets the body (on the top, so at the 19th fret) to the bridge saddles? And how many inches is it from where the fretboard meets the body (on top) to the neck pickup?

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 am

It's about 2 1/2" from the 19th fret to the edge of the neck pickup, and about 8 3/8" from the 19th fret to the saddles.

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 am

No problem! There aren't a lot of these around, and when I was thinking about getting one it was a little frustrating, so I'm happy to share my experiences.

I got the 'MS - MIDI Synth Electronics' option and 14" radius neck, which was considered a separate model at the time(HF2s), and it makes this the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. It's a bit of money, so you may not want/need it, but it's pretty cool if you do :)

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 pm

I appreciate that you are happy to share your experience! It has definitely been a task to find out about this guitar since there aren't many around. It is encouraging that you are happy with yours! The synth option does sound cool, although I wouldn't really have much use for it at this time. I like that they let you customize the radius, I'd get a 12" radius, since I'm used to playing on that.

dvkerner

Postby dvkerner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:58 am

Here are the specs for what I ended up ordering:

HH2

•R handed, no tremolo

•Mahogany neck and body, one piece neck, chambered body

•Plain Maple Top

•Translucent Crimson Red body and neck color

•Gloss covering whole guitar

•Rosewood fingerboard

•Holdsworth standard neck profile