Finish options Gloss vs Satin

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

parousia
Links/Contact:

Finish options Gloss vs Satin

Postby parousia » Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 am

Hi:

Does anyone have any perspective on finishing an AC375 in translucent colors vs solid colors or gloss vs satin finishes :?

How much difference would these options make on tone? I'm just curious on what your observations and experiences are.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Finish options Gloss vs Satin

Postby spudmunkey » Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 am

Gloss vs satin will be no difference in tone. They are the same type of finish, roughly the same number of coats.

Most of their translucent colors and just translucent paints... So again, no perceptible difference.

The only potential exceptions to this would be if you got one of the hand-applied stains (like, say, denim) vs a sprayed on trans paint, and/or if you got their "Raw Tone" finish, which is their thinnest clearcoat finish available, other than tung oil. And even then, because the wood is still pretty thick, I'd have to believe anyone would be hard pressed to notice any difference, beyond the normal differences between two different pieces of the same wood...especially because they are primarily meant for plugging in, where you're using the piezo pickup under the bridge, rather than a microphone. Yes, it's fully hollow so it does have some volume to it, but it's not quite the same as a full-bodied acoustic. Mine is my most-played acoustic though, over my other main and really awesome acoustic, due to comfort.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

parousia
Links/Contact:

Postby parousia » Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 am

Great clarification :rockon:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I opted to forgo the fancy the top woods and finishes on my AC375 so it would sound as good as possible unplugged and I am glad I did.
I went with the tung oil finish on a red cedar top and mahogany neck and body and it really does sound good plugged in or not.
I think it came out great. The tung oil finish is super comfortable.

dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Sat May 12, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm a mostly gloss as opposed to satin guy, BUT there have been some AMAZING satin guitars that have passed through here, at least photographically.
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

parousia
Links/Contact:

Postby parousia » Sat May 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I picked the AC375 because its 21 frets (plays great from what I recall) and because I like to play unplugged. I went with gloss as I have not been unhappy with any guitar with a gloss finish and it also kept the price down. I like the look of satin finish but wasn't sure it was worth the extra cost. I am glad to hear you like yours! It seems everyone who owns the 375 says the same thing which is reassuring my objectives will be realized shortly. I'll post pictures once it arrives :!:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat May 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Satin is the same price as gloss. And tung oil. And the Raw Tone satin. :?

parousia
Links/Contact:

Postby parousia » Sat May 12, 2018 6:02 pm

True, for the top coat, no additional cost...but if I went with a satin top, I'd need the neck to match too.
PSN - Painted Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Matches Body Color) $120.00 :shock:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Actually, somewhere else in the Builder it mentions that on most instruments, the Finish you select for the body is continued over the neck. This is not the case for bolt ons, but it is the case for, I believe, every other model.

Top Coat

Clear gloss is standard. These finishes cover the body on bolt-neck instruments, and cover the entire instrument on set-neck and neck-through guitars and basses. 

parousia
Links/Contact:

Postby parousia » Sun May 13, 2018 8:25 am

I see it now, they should format text that supplies clarification in red to help those of us with short attention spans :shock: thanks!

kimbass

Postby kimbass » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 am

Does anyone know if the gloss is a thicker or thinner finish than the satin? I know spudmunkey mentioned it had roughly the same # of coats, but am wondering which one is the toughest.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 am

I've found the satin and gloss coats to be pretty similar in terms of thickness (because of experience with scratches and dents).

There is a downside to satin that I have experienced: it *will* turn glossy over the high traffic areas. The neck, in particular, will gloss up rather quickly.

I ordered my V6 with a tung oil neck, and it hasn't glossed at all, but the body was satin, and seeing the polished spots where my hands go started at around 4 months of ownership, and nearly daily playing. Now I have very noticeable patches on it. The patches are mostly on the back, from rubbing clothing, around the neck joint, from my hands, beneath the strings on the lower body section, from finger planting and some hand rubbing, as well as circles around the volume/tone knobs. I've had it 3 years now. It's a slow development, but will happen.

Likewise, I deglossed the neck on my DC135 a few years ago, and it could use another deglossing, as it's back to shining rather brightly. Every satin-finished guitar I have has done something like that, regardless of brand. Heavy use areas just show the wear. Gloss will not do this., but it shows the tiny, hairline scratches, and whatnot. Of course, it's easier to polish those out with some rubbing compound.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GaryL

Postby GaryL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Someone on another thread posted that using a Magic Eraser on a semi-gloss finish will restore the satin finish. I don't know if this works. I have a V6x on order in black satin, and i would like to know if it does.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 pm

They are mildly abrasive, and if you use them on glossy plastics it does knock down the shine, so it definitely could work. I've never done it purposefully, though, so I can't say how easily it would be to make it look even. You'll also definitely want to make sure you clean the area thoroughly. Since the areas are shiny because you're constantly rubbing there, you'll probably want to wash way any potential deposited cleaning chemicals (solvents) or melamine (which is what they are made of) particles thoroughly, not only to keep them from damaging the finish but also for your own skin and health.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:22 pm

I've used 0000 steel wool and it brings out a very nice satin finish.

I have no interest in removing the polish to the guitar. There is some really nice grain that was hiding under the satin, and I think the spots give the guitar some character, and a story to tell. I've actually considered taking some buffing compound and just going over the whole thing to make it a bit more glossy. That "thick grain" mahogany is very, well, grainy.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:25 am

I've experienced the same thing regarding grain and overall aesthetic. For some reason satin finishes mute a lot of the best qualities that keep things visually interesting about a guitar, from grain to bevels and cuts and everything else (of course the grain bit only matters if the finish isn't a solid color). It's probably that satin largely washes out the differences in light refraction. I had a satin walnut stained Schecter years ago that was made out of basswood (not pretty stuff). As I wore it glossy in many places it actually began to look really nice in those spots even though it was just stained basswood. I would have preferred the whole thing be glossed it looked so much better, but I chalked up the shiny spots to customized beauty break-in marks and left it alone.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

GaryL

Postby GaryL » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

You'll also definitely want to make sure you clean the area thoroughly. Since the areas are shiny because you're constantly rubbing there, you'll probably want to wash way any potential deposited cleaning chemicals (solvents) or melamine (which is what they are made of) particles thoroughly, not only to keep them from damaging the finish but also for your own skin and health.

Any suggestion on what to use to clean a satin finish?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:09 pm

A slightly warm damp cloth, with as little pressure as possible. Followed immediately by a clean dry cloth.

Supposedly they use a cleaner at the factory from Chemical Guys for matte car finishes. Note: NOT the *polish*...it's just the cleaner.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

harsh59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby harsh59 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 am

dbone wrote:I opted to forgo the fancy the top woods and finishes on my AC375 so it would sound as good as possible unplugged and I am glad I did.
I went with the tung oil finish on a red cedar top and mahogany neck and body and it really does sound good plugged in or not.
I think it came out great. The tung oil finish is super comfortable.

Beautiful guitar and a lefty to boot . What would the tone difference be between a red cedar top and a spruce top ?

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 pm

If I remember correctly Mike Jones said he thought the Red Cedar would likely be a little warmer and resonate out of the box than the spruce.
He said the spruce or koa top could both be good but a little brighter, but if you were intending on playing it unplugged on the couch the Red Cedar might be the best for the AC375. As I have not had the pleasure of trying the spruce top I have no actual comparison to go by. But I think his advice on this was good because it sounds good to me. It’s a nice sounding guitar.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars